1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is Why I Can't Have Nice Things

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eJake, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Big Hoss :)

:D

Next time you have a drink, get one of these! ;):laugh:

Helm_ALEX_015_mit_Nackenleder.

Wise(b)ass

bobyoung53 likes this.
  2. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    I like dings and chips.

It shows the bass has been played. It has a story, etc.

Plus if it's really worn, it's probably a really good bass. Lemons don't get played until they fall apart.

Example: my Geddy Lee Jazz. Original black shows thru the wear of the silver finish.

image.

eJake likes this.
  3. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    If you have a "fancy" bass, get a fancy gig bad. I carry my basses in a Reunion Blues RBX double bag. I've carried it for about 800 gigs. It protects my basses just fine. I don't quite get the whole "buy a $X,XXX bass, and gig with a $200 bass". I get it makes sense to some people. To me, it's like owning a Ferrari but driving a Geo. I'm bringing all my high end basses out to gigs. So, I use a high end gig bag.

retslock likes this.
  4. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    That'll buff right out!!! :rolleyes:

5. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    The only ding on my Valenti also came from a cymbal and also from the first gig I played it on ten years ago. Mine's near the bridge. Damned cymbals.

eJake and Wisebass like this.
  6. That is a horrible story! I am devoted gig bag user, but I use high quality gig bags. I would also only ever use a bag with a solid body instrument. An acoustic guitar or ABG should be transported in a hard case.

retslock, JakobT and eJake like this.
  7. heatheroo1

heatheroo1

Dec 14, 2009
    Ephrata, PA
    and a hard shell case.....

8. TBH those hybrid gig bags are just as good, possibly even better.

Mono Vertigo

Reunion Blues Continental

retslock, JakobT, Bikeguy57 and 2 others like this.
  9. nbsipics

nbsipics My Best Playing Happens Only in my Mind Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I’ll take a top-quality modern gig bag over a mediocre ( and typically factory ) hard case any day.

10. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Me too. I've been using Mono bags for several years now and the bags and my basses still look brand new.

JakobT and eJake like this.
  11. I feel you on the case situation. I’ve had everything from heavy plywood cases and flight cases to gig bags. I gave up on the plywood stuff. It’s just unreasonably heavy especially when the bands using multiple guitars and basses. Last two years or so I’ve veen using the newer plastic SKB cases. They are super light but provide more protection than a gig bag. DE1C2FC4-CD65-4F99-A090-35B619FD41F0.

4D7D766D-6C0D-4884-BA09-6A0E30AD254D. I’d really like to get one of these aluminum bass vault style cases but they are crazy expensive. 2CD5014F-A880-4853-ADC2-7C7D308BA620. As for the fender. Don’t sweat it too much. fender basses actually look better when that have some battle scars imo. As long as it’s just cosmetic it actually adds character to the bass

12. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    poopie happens....usually the drummers fault.
    Cymbals falling... both times force of nature...wind....
    1 time sliced my power chord...another time..sliced the finish on my Alembic.ouch.
    Always bring 2 of everything including power chords.

JC

holy cr#p, spell checked changed sh#t to poopie

retslock and eJake like this.
  13. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    I'm not a physicist in real life but don't most objects reach terminal velocity after 15 seconds? You could save yourself over 23 hours and 59 minutes of watching your bass fall if that that's the case.

And I also prefer a good gig bag. Easier to carry with cables and such and some of my cases don't fit in the trunk of my car, which stupidly does not have a ski pass through or fold down seats.

14. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    When I was young I had a brand new Rick 4001 and was playing an outdoor gig and a gust of wind blew a cymbal over. The edge of it landed on the binding at the top of the Rick leaving a big gash. I was so upset, but there was no one to blame.

eJake likes this.
  15. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Where I'm gigging at sometimes I have to worry about things happening to my bass while im playing it more often than when it's. In the gig bag. I like the SX. It gets the job done. If im playing a nice stage I'll bring a nice bass.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  16. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Don't they have a guitar in the International Space Station? Everyone has ignored the possibility of initial velocity that would allow a guitar to remain in free fall for an entire day without suffering any damage whether in or out of a case.

17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    As great as I'm sure those ultra padded, throw your strat off a tall building to prove how good they are gig bags would be, I can't justify spending more for a case than I did for my bass so I've got a couple of SKB 44 cases and whatever bass I'm taking out of the house goes in one of them. They ran me $125 each when I got them and I don't have to worry about iffy straps zippers, seams, etc. The only exception is the red bass of death. It's so beat up dropping it could only make it look better so it rides in a gig bag that came with a new Highway One.

18. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I will say this, though.... I ran over one of my Rics in OHSC with a Ford F-150 supercrew and that case took the pain! Little crack in the case but the Ric was untouched and still in perfect tune. Thank you Lord

retslock likes this.
  19. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Fire the drummer!

20. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I've definitely witnessed dings taken out of furniture in this same basic way using a steam clothing iron

Wfrance3 likes this.