1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thomastik Flats on a Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by e-flat, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Yes

112 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    The string swapping never stops.

I just pulled a set of TI Flats off my main P Bass, and decided to try them on my parts Jazz Bass. I actually think they are the best sounding flats I've tried on a Jazz.

Probably because they are a midrange-focused string, they help me to get a more balanced, thicker and punchier sound from my standard "both pickups on" position than most other flats. They're also killer for bridge pickup sounds. Added bonus is they have a little bit of the "pizz" and bark of a round wound due to mild tension & my low action.

I've heard folks say that they've hated TIs on a Jazz, and others say that they love them. It turns out I really dig them. What do you guys think?

2. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I had them in an MBass MJ4 and I really liked them. I was actually surprised how much I liked them on a J bass.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    jebmd and e-flat like this.
  3. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I like TI Flats on just about any bass though....

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I strung a set TiJF344 on my Cort Arona IV few months ago. The bass come with Delano desonic Single coil Neck and Humbucker Bridge with Active Preamp.
    Tone is dark and warm along with some lacking MID in first weeks , after that the dark tone gone and the MID start present nicely.
    But this flatwound sound dry on Cort Arona compare to another set on my Pbass. I put the GHS PW back and open sounding tone return.

I prefer Sadowsky black label flat 40-100 and Fender 9050L on Jazz bass.

e-flat and Pbassmanca like this.
  5. After all the talk here, I put a set on my RI Jazz. That was in 2010, and they have never come off.

9mmMike, Dave Neal, pcake and 7 others like this.
  6. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    +1

jastacey, 9mmMike, porterbass and 5 others like this.
  7. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    My fretless Jazz has them and it works pretty well. Still best on a P though.

Heisenbass, e-flat and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I like them better on my Jazz bass

e-flat and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've used TI flats on my Fender Jazz for years.

Frankjohnson, SJan3 and e-flat like this.
  10. I got 'em on my Fretless P going on two and a half years now.

Marihino, Burwabit and SJan3 like this.
  11. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi e-flat :)

I am a roundwound player :D... so maybe ask the guys in Vienna?

Thomastik-Infeld-JF324.

It looks like they were designed to be on a Jazz bass :laugh:;)

greetings

Wise(b)ass

moreblues, RaggaDruida, SJan3 and 5 others like this.
  12. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    I still miss em on my Fender Marcus Miller 5-string Jazz. I broke an E-string (I always break E-strings) and instead of replacing the one string I took off the entire set :banghead: I then put them on a crappy fretless bass I had lying around, cut them a bit and found out they don't fit that bass because well, it's a REALLY crappy bass.

But yes, they definitely belong on a Jazz. Heck, think I'll order a set again as soon as I get on stage and get some gig money in my pocket again :)

e-flat likes this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I prefer the sound of a JB with flats. The TIs sound great on a Jazz. Very unique character to them. No other flat sounds like TIs. Expensive. But they last a very long time so they’re actually more economical in the long run.

Note: I’ve recently strung a JB with a light set of GHS Precision Flats. Those work really well on a JB too.

jastacey, Eikari, SJan3 and 2 others like this.
  14. Put them on my Ibanez TMB30 short scale and they sound and feel awesome.:thumbsup:

Dave Neal and e-flat like this.
  15. The only bass I ever put TI flats on and was disappointed was a Rob Allen MB2. On all other basses they've been great.

Element Zero and e-flat like this.
  16. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    I have them installed on a Wolf JB4.(that's a passive jazz bass type instrument).Sounds great. Nails that Joe Osborn tone.I do like round wounds in certain rooms.I want to get another Wolf and install D'Addario's on it.That's what was on the Wolf originally

e-flat likes this.
  17. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    I've been curious about TI's for a while. Has anyone used them on a filter based pre styled bass? I have an ACG that has a similar preamp as Wal's and Alembic's.

PaulReside and e-flat like this.
  18. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I have them on a P, a Stingray, a Bongo, and a fretless Sterling. I have yet to own a bass that didn't sound good with TIs.

19. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Got TIs on both my J and my P. Love 'em.

e-flat and SJan3 like this.
  20. I tried a set about 14 years ago, that I put on 2-3 different basses. They have resided on my roadworn Jazz for about8 years now.
    I have two other sets that are 12-13 years old and they have been on 2 different basses each - now on a modified P-Bass and a Yamaha BB2000.

Dem is some good strings fo me!

Eikari, e-flat and Dave Neal like this.