1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Abbotsford, B.C. ca1976 :D

vulcan.

2. Unclejackrock

Unclejackrock Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Hey guys, I have a couple questions. Recently my Heritage Cherry Bird has gotten a case of the “randomly cuts out during playing”, and it’s the damn output jack. I messd with it a little this afternoon and its the output jack. When I put just a little bit of side tension on the cable, it cuts out. It’s very obvious that it’s not making good connection. I’m wondering what is the best replacement for it because with the stock Gibson jack I can’t simply bend the tip connector a little to make a better connection like with a lot of guitar jacks because it’s all enclosed. Plus, the stock Gibson jack fits really flush with the outside surface of the bass. Could someone help me out? I’m good enough with a soldering iron to fix it, but I just don’t know which jack to order.

3. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    One looked really good under water(Thunderball)

4. I just bought a new bass a week or so ago. And I ordered Hipshot bridges this week. And a new strap. I'm doing my part for the economy!

5. bylar13

bylar13 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2016
    I used this one on my T-Bird.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VCW66E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has three connectors. I removed the one I did not need. Make sure to use a 90 degree cable end where the cable plugs into the bass. Also make sure to run the cable through the strap to take the load of the cable weight/leverage off of the jack.

That was about a year ago and I have played many gigs and many practices with no issues.

Gaolee, GBassNorth, Nocturnal and 3 others like this.
  6. Unclejackrock

Unclejackrock Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2006

That’s very similar to the stock one. I’ll check into it. I don’t have any 90 degree cables, but I’ve wrapped my cable around my strap for 20 years.

7. When my high school buddy died a couple of years ago, they found he had filled most available spaces in his apartment (including the interior of a Dual Showman cab) with military model kits, mostly planes.

8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Abuser of Thunderbird Shaped Objects. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    That particular GC gets all kinds of cool tube heads. I would love that amp but can't justify (or afford) it.

This has happened to every jack on my Gibson Birds. I think I need to follow @bylar13 advice on the cord.

9. Bummer to lose friends, sorry man.

Wonder why the apparently intense fascination with military models?

10. He was always fascinated with military stuff, wore army jackets etc, but way too much of a rebel to serve in an army.

He got even more eccentric and reclusive over the last years. It was pretty weird going through his guitar and amp collection! I bought the 75 Gibson Marauder he played when were punks.

11. I can understand having to replace an output jack on an Epiphone, but you would think a Gibson would come with a heavy duty jack from the factory.

I just get Neutrik right angle 1/4” plugs and convert my cords.

12. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    All my guitar cords are 1 straight, 1 90 degree. So far, no problems with jacks on the axe.

13. I replaced the one on my JC with a heavy duty switchcraft unit. The stock one didn’t cut out, but it felt wimpy.

theFixer, bylar13, Nocturnal and 2 others like this.
  14. Is that a flying model?

15. Vulcans we're regular visitors to Valley to when I was young, one got retired and put on the dump, we used to play in it amongst others

JJR58, GonePlaid, theFixer and 2 others like this.
  16. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Things I will never understand: Leo Lyons playing style

Also, @godofthunder59 that Hiwatt cab I posted last week is shipping off to Baz tomorrow!

Gaolee, JJR58, GonePlaid and 4 others like this.
  17. Yes. A really nice one. Aerographics are UK made kits. Expensive but oh man, what quality. They are distributed by Sams Models out of Cambridge. The Lightning is a free flight model..
    Sams Models

GonePlaid, GBassNorth and Christine like this.
  18. This place is around the corner from my old house in Seattle. Coolest collection of old records and vintage model kits. Definitely a must..
    4hfB3KCqpPU-wtY2dxo3Qu8U6rhS0C1rrgJM3n8MkhXjrQemd1HoWtKlrwRxfr7k0zfJGeCrILgpn34bA=w213-h160-k-no.

Gaolee, TBird1958, GonePlaid and 2 others like this.
  19. Free flight? As in no remote control? Surely not with a jet engine? Model aircraft aren’t really my thing, living next to an RAF base I see the things every day :roflmao: and hear them :( what I am interested in is the Apollo program, it had a big presence in my childhood. I’ve started building a Saturn V launch pad ( a winter time hobby) but it’s slow going

JJR58, GBassNorth and Chucky Stiletti like this.
  20. Have you ever seen the real one in person? It's the size of a small town...
    Yes free flight on the model. I suppose you could fit one of today's micro-radios as the model has a 12" wingspan (small) but it's really meant for these nifty little cartridge rocket engines made by a company called Jetex that unfortunately have been made unavailable for legal liability issues. Burn time was in the order of about 10 to 12 seconds (you lit them the way you would a firecracker) and was enough if the model was properly trimmed to propel it to 50 or 60 feet. The model would then glide back in a circular pattern assuming proper trim was used. Trimming these can be almost Zen. They can also look way realistic when flying. They make a kit of the ME-163 Komet that was a joy to fly with those Jetex..
    G333-500x500.