1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Cool :)
    No never seen one, my only reference is a chimney on a factory site near us that is a near identical size to the Saturn V and it’s huge, absolutely massive it makes you dizzy looking up at it from the bottom

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Excellent! It should be mine inside of six months. ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    D.M.N., Gaolee, GBassNorth and 4 others like this.
  3. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Q: some time ago I was told, or read,to always put the 90 degree plug into the amp input. I don’t actually remember the why, but I think it was something to do with the pull angle on the cable.

I’ve noticed that the T’bird Club members seem to advocate pluging the 90 degree plug into the bass. Could someone explain for me?

MCF, GBassNorth, JJR58 and 2 others like this.
  4. I do this too. For me it makes for a lower-profile, less obtrusive thing coming off the instrument, *especially if your output jack is on the face of your instrument*. Also, if you pass the cord under the strap, to trap it (as a sort of drag-jig if you happen to step on your cable while playing), the cord doesn't stand so far off your instrument.
    Just a lower profile thing mostly.

At work my toolbelt will get hung up on something from time to time, I really hate that!

(I put the straight plug end into my amp. I don't spend a lot of time at my amp...)

RedVee, Engle, GBassNorth and 5 others like this.
  5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Love the Me 163 Komet! Fascinating aircraft! More of a danger to the luftwaffe pilots that flew it than US bombers.

6. bylar13

bylar13 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2016
    I loop the cable (straight end) through an amp handle or something that helps support the weight of the cable. Helps keep the cable from stressing the amp input and helps to keep the cable from being pulled out by accident.

7. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    There was a gig report here about the guy’s band playing a NASA function. They were set up right next to the VAB. Unbelievably cool.

RedVee, Nocturnal, Gaolee and 5 others like this.
  8. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL

Haji and GBassNorth like this.
  9. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    That's a good thing(unless you're German)

GBassNorth and Chucky Stiletti like this.
  10. Like that red car. Wonder what it is..

11. C Stoff and T Stoff.....Gnarly....BIG BA11S!!..

12. What chimney? I'd like to Google it. I suspect the ones in Battersea (now AKA Chelsea on Thames:roflmao::roflmao:) Power Station may be in the ball park?..
    Battersea_Power_Station_copy-1522x985.

GonePlaid, Christine and GBassNorth like this.
  13. No idea how big Battersea chimneys are but the one I’m referring to is just outside Holyhead at a factory called Anglesey Aluminium Anglesey Aluminium - Wikipedia there’s a photo in that link

14. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

I don't remember where I got it, but I replaced the jack on the 1991 'Bird with one that's near identical to that one. No problems since.

15. Gaolee

That way the cord lies flat on the body and doesn't stick out, assuming you loop it through your strap. Bumping a mic stand or cymbal with it doesn't stress the jack that way.

RedVee, GonePlaid, JJR58 and 2 others like this.
  16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I'm sure there's multiple camps on this issue, but the logic I've always used while performing was to slip the 90 degree end of the cable between the strap and the bass then plug it into the bass output jack. The straight end of the cable went to the amp. I used to loop the amp end of the cable around an amp handle until I saw one of my overly animated guitar players yank his amp to the floor. Now I just plug into the front of the amp and use that as the weak link in case I wander too far.

I'll add that I've witnessed a 90 degree cable splinter the top of a guitar as the cable was stretched too far, it yanked the entire output jack and wiring clean out. Apparently the guitarist forgot to loop the cable between the strap and body before plugging it in. In that instance a straight cable might have pulled out and saved the instrument damage.

17. Gaolee

Since we are on airplanes, this is the one I'm completely fascinated by, for absolutely no good reason:
    triford.

GonePlaid, GBassNorth, JJR58 and 3 others like this.
  18. Gaolee

This is one of the reasons I went wireless a few years ago. Excess enthusiasm isn't quite as dangerous to everyone and everything when you aren't leashed.

RedVee, JJR58, GonePlaid and 5 others like this.
  19. Oh you meant the rocket...I was talking about the transporter..
    tom-carne-1.

20. Yeah I go the other way around. Straight end into the bass through the strap and angled end into the amp. Now you can't pull the plug from the amp and better, stepping on the cord close to the amp will not leave you with a broken connector half in the amp's input.

RedVee, GonePlaid and GBassNorth like this.
  21. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    They apparently made a lot of different variants of the Ford Tri Motor plane but the interior on one of them is equally retro cool...
    220px-Ford_5-AT-B%2C_McMinnville%2C_OR.
    Ford Trimotor interior

MCF, Gaolee, GonePlaid and 3 others like this.
  22. I like the external control wires.....real feeling of safety there...

23. The front jack on a TBird isn't sunk in a whole lot of wood. 90 jacks lower the profile and make less of a lever to tear it out accidentally.

Cables and I have a long history of not getting along. My live rig now is wireless so I have one cable from my pedal board to my amp that I tape down since I can get set up faster than anybody else in the band. A little thought and planning goes a looooong way.

RedVee, Gaolee, PillO and 5 others like this.
  24. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Wireless is obviously the best way to go.

BTW, I did snap a 90 degree plug end in half that was plugged into my SVT VR. Was moving cabs around the practice room and managed to hook the cable somehow. Fortunately the SVT was heavy enough it didn't budge, but the 90 degree connector broke in half leaving the end pin stuck inside the SVT input jack. Lesson learned, foot traffic only over cords and cables, no rolling dollys or cabs over cords (not to mention it's darn easy to cut or damage an instrument cord with those wheels).

Also had a guitar friend who swore by curly cables until he stretched one too far. I didn't see it happen but he claimed that the cable was pulled tight enough that it released from the amp and flew back at his guitar leaving a nice dent in a brand new Les Paul. Just goes to prove, nothing is fool proof, there's always a more effective fool ready to test any design to it's limits.

RedVee, Christine, Gaolee and 5 others like this.