1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Played one of those for about 5 minutes about ten years ago. Dang that thing was heavy! Had some interesting sounds and looks but I just couldn't get on with the weight.

2. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    seemed like the de-facto standard for country back in the day along with those boat anchor Ovations...

3. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    LOL - I think I recall seeing that. I also recall seeing some Danos in the country scene back in the '70s.

Now that would be an eye opener, a short scale Dano Longhorn loaded with TB Humbuckers. Heck it would probably vibrate itself to pieces during the first song. :roflmao:

4. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    But if we love our tone, we play and perform better! Just saying :)

I always thought a Microfrets would be a cool country bass. Funky and odd. Glen Campbell and Carl Perkins rocked em in the’70’s as well as their bands.T-40’s are one of the greatest, most versatile and underrated basses ever, but I sold mine due to the weight. Didn’t even think I care about weight, but a two hour set is torture with those things! For one of my bands, The Eskimo Brothers (classic country, rockabilly and old school rock and roll), I’ve been super lucky in that they are cool with whatever I bring, though the BL seems partial to my Cataldo NR41, Gibson T Bird with Cobalts or my Gretsch Spectrasonic w/ flats, in that order

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 4:46 AM
  5. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    Telecaster Bass ?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Need a sub? :D

7. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    I’m good for now! Nice to see you here, Jimmy!

8. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Not sure to be honest.

9. Cool song. I will have to explore that band more.

GonePlaid and GBassNorth like this.
  10. Comparing my Midtown and Jack Casady, the Midtown is much more like a solid body than the JC. But I think the big difference in the JC is the pickup; I am fairly certain that it is where 85% of the magic is.

11. You are kind of heading into the 7ender Dimension territory... That might the the way to achieve the goal. But it won't be nearly as much fun.

12. 1) Congrats!
    2) Don’t let it fall off a stand
    3) My 67 EBO has that bridge. It was tilting forward on the studs, so I made a block of mahogany to fit between the bridge and the body and bolted the bridge down with Allen head bolts. I can’t easily adjust the string height, but I never change the strings...

13. I played a couple before I bought my Casady. A Fender neck bolted onto a semi-hollow body just didn't feel right to me and I was surprised at how heavy they were.

14. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    may be time for you to start considering an NR...

JJR58, RedVee, ToddOfThunder and 3 others like this.
  15. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I'm sure there are places that would be happy to store some of those for you, for a small consideration like usage. It's a service we provide around here.

It is a little odd, but if he was only sending you bass guitars, it would be a little creepy. He isn't doing that, from the sounds of things. I guess he just has a lot of money and buying bass guitars to give away makes him happy. So enjoy it!

16. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

I will gladly provide my storage services.

17. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Ha! When Rod was cool.

18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    An NR is always on the radar screen. Just waiting for the right one to show up at the right price.

19. Dayum that’s one helluva fan!
    Personally not a fan of slotted headstocks but I seem to be in the minority with that one.
    Still very nice!

Inky13, RedVee, ToddOfThunder and 5 others like this.
  20. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    they look pretty awesome in white

JJR58, Engle, Dr_Feelgoood212 and 3 others like this.