1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    BLACKBIRD

I’ve never understood people who say that a maple neck and fretboard especially one piece make zero or little difference. That’s insanity. Of course it makes a difference

2. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    Double post

GonePlaid likes this.
  3. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Your band mates don’t follow you here?

4. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Nice strap too. Can you tell us what it is?

JJR58, GBassNorth and dukeorock like this.
  5. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    No way. Bass players are from another planet. No one else wants to go there.

6. bylar13

bylar13

Dec 19, 2016
    Thanks! I don't know. I got it in 1987 when my first bass (Rickenbacker 4001) got stolen. I would esitmate that I have played a 400+ shows with it. Its the one constant in my life, when it comes to gear....:D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  7. Plus, this just looks REALLY cool.

GonePlaid, RedVee and GBassNorth like this.
  8. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    B2C42F8E-EC03-4F6E-89DD-FB5C5874C25B. 4896B2EB-04E7-4817-995E-6F2B004E2E9D. Been absent a minute...no way can I backtrack through nearly 500 posts since my last visit :)

I told you all about this one superfan who seems keen on giving me basses. He’s already given me a pristine walnut Ric 4003 and a ‘67 Hofner Beatle Bass. Apparently for Christmas, he just pulled the trigger on this 1971 EB3L. I don’t know a ton about these basses, but those slotted headstocks are just so cool to me...any thoughts?

Band Mom, GonePlaid, Larry V and 15 others like this.
  9. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'd watch him if I were you...

10. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

Does your friend like Drag Queens?

11. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Who doesn’t?!

12. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Priceless! :laugh:

13. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

The only person who didn't change clothes and instruments repeatedly in that video is the drummer. The bass solo sounds great. It sure sounded like it was recorded using a 'Bird.

I find that my EB-2 probably sounds like a 40 year old Dimarzio One, and if I put the same pickup in another bass, at the same location, it would sound similar enough to fool just about everyone into thinking it was the same bass, just to hear it. It's got a bright, convex brown sound to it that's different from anything else. If it had a mudbucker, it would sound completely different, and the hollow body, maple construction, and short scale wouldn't matter all that much.

14. Gaolee

And especially here. Can you imagine the average normal person, even a musician, trying to figure out all of this?

15. Gaolee

You will just have to play it and find out. There's no shortcuts, y'know.

And introduce the friend to searching for Thunderbirds on Reverb. And Carlo. He needs to know Carlo.

16. Gaolee

Good to see you back. And Duke 'o' Frock popped back in, too. Now we have to find out where Fixer went.

17. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Dude, I’m just too uneasy getting such nice stuff for free. I just let him get what he likes. So far, so good! The fan in question is a big fan of my T Birds. In fact, because he loves my main one, he just bought a similar one for Jackie Newhouse (Stevie Ray Vaughn’s original bass player). For what he spent on the EB3L, I’d probably rather commission Carlo, or maybe even the right Gibson Ripper. I’m not really jonesing for anything other than that at the moment. My Gibson T Bird with the Lollars and my Cataldo are seeing the most action live, but I record with all of my basses. Never know which one will work best on any given track!

18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Yeah, I've found there is a noticeable difference especially to the player. Not so sure the average audience member would hear a difference in a typical rock mix in a loud bar with lots of drinks flowing. Then again, half of the average audience members in that setting don't know the difference between a guitar and a bass anyway. :roflmao:

Rob Martinez, MCF, GonePlaid and 7 others like this.
  19. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Not unless they've figured out who GBassNorth is, and even then they'd probably rather spend their time on guitar or drum sites, which is just fine with me. ;)

20. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Peavey T-40

MCF, GonePlaid, Miles_ONeal and 3 others like this.