1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    My preference for stage right long predates playing in a Who tribute. In fact it goes back to 1971. 20190322_190335.

2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

There is no box.

MCF, dukeorock, ToddOfThunder and 7 others like this.
  4. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

Wait. What kinda box? Uh, ok. trouble is a foot for me.

5. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Can't go there if you started there and never left.

Afoot? Dude! Shoes!

6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Yes on all counts CB - we should all take a second or two to remember we belong to a very cool collective, being a musician/player. I saw Buddy Guy last night here in SF. The man is legendary and at 81 is sharp as a razor - what an amazing performer! I highly recommend seeing him if he is touring in your area. He's one of the last bluesman of his era left standing and his performance embodied the fusion of 'old-school' and in-the-moment 2019 contemporary. Bass player was the rock - big phat pillowy bass - locking with a very (too) loud kick (why do they do that?) At one point with eyes closed I imagined I was at a Miles show in the mid 70's - heavy blues/funk/rock/jazz... Buddy Guy. Blown away...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    MCF, ToddOfThunder, Mike.C. and 11 others like this.
  7. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I played in a band in the early 70s that had exact copies of Chicago arrangements so I know the early bass lines. My daughter and I have been to about 10 Chicago concerts. I can see the bass man's(mostly Jason Scheff)fingers moving to those lines and all I hear is 'thump' from the kick.:banghead:

8. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I hear it all the time at venues with all different kinds of music. The house pumps the kick-thud LOUD. It's cool, but always seems TOO present.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 12:11 AM
  9. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Sure there is. If you don't have a limitation there is no need to create, no need to seek direction- and no tangible material to create with. One needs a premise, and those come with rules. And rules are made to be artfully broken.

It's going to be hard to do this over text...

10. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I don't really care what side I'm on either...the advantage of being stage right is that you can look at the drummer and the neck of the bass at the same time and some folks like that....right hand drummers don't because they now have to turn their head away from the hi hat to look at you.....their problem..

11. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    In my band I mostly ignore the drummer anyway. I listen to everything, but he's kind of in his own space. Don't love it, but that's this band, and you can't fix other people. Otherwise I'd have been fixed years ago!

JIO, ToddOfThunder, Mike.C. and 7 others like this.
  12. That was insightful and informative. What the hell is it doing in Thunderbird club?

13. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I forgot myself...

14. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    You went to Iroquois HS?

15. I will use tabs to learn something I'm having a problem with, but that's very much for offline practice. I seldom try to read any more so those skills have backslidden. Chord charts, callouts, or play by ear for the most part if I don't know the song.

JJR58, PillO, GBassNorth and 5 others like this.
  16. Most falling into the category known a few decades ago as "unprintable"?

JJR58, PillO, GBassNorth and 3 others like this.
  17. That's my line. well, God's actually...

18. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    A Far North Vacuum ?

GonePlaid, PillO and GBassNorth like this.
  19. We saw Buddy last year at the Austin City Limits taping! Absolutely amazing show. And yeah, Orville Wright is perfect for Buddy's music. Quinn Sullivan is no slouch, either- was he there? Also, Buddy is 82 (83 in a couple of months).

20. RedVee

RedVee

Dec 24, 2014
    Australia
    I was going to look for piano sheet music to practice with.
    Is there a better, readily available, alternative?

I’m only up to single notes of 1 2 or 4 beat duration, rests(?) & repeats.

But yeah, wish I started 40 years ago lol. But better late than never.

GonePlaid, JJR58, PillO and 6 others like this.