1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TI Flats low B string - less sustain/harmonics?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gillento, Apr 15, 2017.

1. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi,
    I have a set of TI Flats on my 35" Reverend R5L.
    The low B string has less harmonics and its sustain is shorter.

Yes, I checked the distance to the pickups and I don't have this issue with other strings (rounds or flats).

Have others experienced as well? Any workarounds?

2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I also thought the same. Didn't like it. No workaround for me, I took them off and put the first 4 on a 4-string.

joebar likes this.
  3. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggravesmusic.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    IME, some string sets have B strings that don't work well on particular basses- put that same set on a different bass, and it works out fine. It might have to do with overall tension of the string set, and a particular basses build. For instance, a La Bella Deep Talkin' B string didn't work with bass x, I put the same set on bass y- it sounded fine. I also tried that same B string on bass x again, but this time, kept the E through G strings a DR set of rounds that had higher overall tension on the neck, and the B string that was weak with the rest of the La Bella set worked fine with those strings higher tension. You might have to go with higher tension flats, such as DAddario Chromes, to find a flat wound B that works with your Reverend- or try another TI B string, but you may well find that the bass itself doesn't like the low string tension of the TI set, and won't be able to support the B- that's my experience through experimentation at least.

Martin Beer likes this.
  4. Flatwound B-strings can definitely be touchy, and a mix and match approach can be worth considering. Right now I have a set of Sadowsky flatwounds for the top four strings but a Fender 0.125 tapered B, as it's the most playable flatwound B I've found so far on my particular bass.

Jefenator and Garret Graves like this.
  5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Works quite well on my fretless Martin Keith Elfin 5.

6. Wiremessiah

Wiremessiah

Mar 4, 2017
    Try a single string ti jazz round. Bass strings online sells them.

BrBss likes this.
  7. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    IMO and experience.............I've not yet heard a decent open B sound. The low D sounds good but anything lower than D just doesn't sound good to my ears. Now maybe the problem I've had with not hearing a decent open B has something to do with the cabs. Pretty much most bass cabs can only produce the harmonics of the low B and fail at hitting 31 hz.

36 inch scale? There's a lot to be said for the design of the Dingwall fanned frets.

dingwall_superJ5.

8. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Reproducing the fundamental is unimportant for such low notes, very little energy is in the fundamental anyway compared to the harmonics, 31Hz is so low it doesn't contribute much to 'good tone'. A Dingwall or Kalium Quake 40" scale B will sound amazing through an average cabinet.
    The B issue is due to stiffness, because the width of the string is becoming significant relative to the length, the only solutions are more flexible strings or longer scales.

Anders Barfod and bassdude51 like this.
  9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The Fender low B is the one I tried with that TI set. But is sounds darker than the other 4 ...

Looking to get a set of the new Blue Label Sadowsky flats..... impossible to find in Europe, though.

10. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    Hi, how long have those strings been mounted on that bass?

11. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    this was from the first minute I put them on

12. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    You should wait at least a few weeks before making any reliable consideration about string to string consistency

Mystic Michael likes this.
  13. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    It is difficult to imagine that the B strong will resonate better after some time

14. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    It won't, but the other 4 strings will go deader and any difference will be less obvious by then.
    That said, my only experience with 5 string flats was with Sadowsky Black Labels. The B string had the same attack of the other strings, just a bit of a quicker decay, especially when playing near the bridge. Overall, the consistency was very good though.

15. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    Also make sure that the string is not twisted and that there's an optimal breaking angle both at the nut and at the saddle

16. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

I would just try a single B string from a different set to find what works.

17. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    TI's tend to have that problem with the E string sometimes as well. Play it for 2 months and the problem will be gone

18. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    My experience is the same. I have a set of Black Label flats on my L2500 and I'm not sure how it could be better for consistency. The low B is great. But it is a G&L after all.

joebar likes this.
  19. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    That shouldn't be the case IME. The TI low B is one of the best around.

20. 40" scale?, holy shnikees! :bag:. Do they come with go go gadget finger extensions?.