1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To ALL working bass players...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by soong, Jul 10, 2018.

1. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Some thoughts of mine and a reshare of the MU's flowchart...

1. Don't be afraid to say no, or to ask what the gig pays.
    2. Music students and weekend warriors: STOP taking $50 and a meal gigs. It'll hurt you in the end and KILLS our industry.
    3. Don't feel guilty about saying no to a charity you don't support.
    4. For the P&W guys: 'It's for ministry' DOESN'T necessarily mean you do the gig for free. The worker deserves his wages.
    5. 'Exposure' will not pay your rent or put food on the table.
    6. KNOW your worth.

A gig will be worth doing if it has at least 2/3 of these 'M's:

Good music
    Good money
    Good musicians

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    DJs and karaoke have taken an uncountable number of gigs "away" from professional musicians and musicians in general.

Someone playing for $50 and a meal is not the cause of the state of the live music industry.

Here's a pic of the "entertainment" for a birthday party I recently attended.

One guy with one girlfriend, one sub, one tower, one mixer, one microphone and a few CDs. And, he was a terrible DJ, unintelligible, the volume was extremely loud with crappy tone, wires were shorting, no mixing, breaks between songs, all mid-bass.

Side notes: Based on other recent experiences, I think a lot of these DJs are going deaf because they don't wear ear plugs.

Oh, as I was leaving, it actually sounded better outside the building, about 50 feet way.

How many kids do you know that are putting in the practice time to become professional musicians?

Especially when you see and hear of people making millions on YouTube as life style hosts and commentators.

WP_20180701_15_29_14_Pro.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    You’re free to do as you please... I am a big enough boy to decide when, where, and why I play.

-robert

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    You forget #1: Have a good day job.

5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Real talk right here :thumbsup:

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I couldn't care less about pay. I play gigs because I like to make music with others for others. Someday I won't able to do so. Until then, I'm going to play as much as I can.

joebar, Frampton, DaDo625 and 34 others like this.
  7. jasmangan

jasmangan

Jul 13, 2008
    Meh, I’ll settle for 1/3

8. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have to agree. Over the years, my competition for getting a good take on a job is not DJs or karaoke, it's bands who'll work for nothing.

Wisebass, smogg, Billy C. and 6 others like this.
  9. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    CANADA
    Scene is saturated. At least around here. Back in the 80’s there was like 3 or 4 cats who played bass in town and most people knew who they were. Now there’s more bands and people playing (with significant talent) than you can shake a stick at.

10. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    So is it ok for me (all income by music) to take the 50 and a meal?

11. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Again, this post is not for 'bass players' but for WORKING bass players.

The assumption is, you're not.

12. Which is of course the point the OP and many others are making.

It's not that I don't understand your motivation. I do. But your "hobby" isn't helping others get paid fairly for their efforts. There are also many opportunities to play for tips alone that don't compete with venues where bands book.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  13. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I'm confused. I am a working bass player. Are you mad at me for taking 50 and a meal?

Spectrum, portpc, Pbassmanca and 4 others like this.
  14. It depends? If it's three sets in a club on a Saturday for 500 people, then yes, I'm mad at you. : D

JGbassman, neckdive, tekhedd and 9 others like this.
  15. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    It's 2018 (um, not 2017 as I originally posted lol), sorry, as far as pay goes the guys 20 years ago who would work for the same amount they did 30 years ago already blew it. The whole "ruin it for the full timers" is invalid, unless you consider crappy bar gigs the upper echelon of work. The industry is already ruined.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  16. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I'd love to get $50 and a meal. Where are those high paying gigs?

Rivoli, joebar, Frampton and 41 others like this.
  17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    This. Oh so much this.

18. the slug

the slug man, why the long face Supporting Member

May 21, 2014
    really? you can get fed along with the 50 bucks? sign me up

cbnutt, Charlzm, Spectrum and 11 others like this.
  19. I agree with most of this except the killing the industry part.

It’s already dead

Jhengsman, Wisebass, Charlzm and 8 others like this.
  20. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wholeheartedly agree on all points but #2: I believe that what's killing "our" industry is the dramatic fall of income revenue from recorded music and the assumed solution to rest the lion's share of music income on live performances and merch. Whether it'll eventually be the end of the financial side of the music industry or rather just a re-orientation to a new normal remains to be seen. However, hobbyists and weekend warriors taking insultingly low pay for weekend gigs doesn't really help establish precedent of getting paid a normal pay scale for shows.

MobileHolmes and javi_bassist like this.