1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Too much bass BS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flawed, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Flawed

Flawed

May 29, 2008
    argh, it can be so frustrating reading these forums sometimes. I just started playing bass in december and i am a poor student (like many here) and it can be so frustrating when i see all these basses i go back and forth from one decision to the next. oh i want a stingray or a ric or a headless this and that, i want a warwick blah blah blah.

screw. that.

i found a really cool mexican fender p/j online and i am just going to buy it and be done with all this crap. i figure it has all the variety i could ever want, and replacement parts are abundant as fender is pretty damn ubiquitous. so i could upgrade later if i really wanted to.

its a little liberating just giving up all your ridiculous desires

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Congrats... you win the game. Seriously.

Enjoy the bass.

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Okay??

I guess you've missed all the threads that involve people SELLING all their gear?

4. You have chosen wisely. :)

5. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Hope you enjoy the P/J, and the maturity to realize that other people's dreams shouldn't serve as a measure for your own.

6. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Right On. Forget that you ever heard of this place.

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Yeah, you're absolutely right. That Fender p/j will take care of your bass needs just fine...

...for now! :p

You can NEVER escape G.A.S., no matter how you try! :rollno:

8. It is!!!
    Good luck with that liberation :D
    Seriously, enjoy your bass, learn and play wisely and have fun.
    You know the GAS will be back but don't worry about it.

9. I agree 2/3. The other 1/3 is GAS. :D Seriously, I agree that people do get anal with gear here, but there is some room for that thinking in many or even most of our lives I assume.

Moderation.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

There's also the other side to this statement.

There's many people who buy something because they 'think' it's the right buy or what they need, then later find TB and find out they were stupid, miss-led, or guilty of buying what was handy vs buying what was most appropriate for their need.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    This forum hasn't changed my taste in basses. I still love P's with flats. I still love Tube Amps.

I'm a poor college student and I have nicer gear than someone twice my age. Shop around.

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Welcome to the deep end. :)

Good choice - especially for a starter instrument. The P/J setup is very versitile. :)

Only time will tell. Experience may dictate otherwise, and GAS is a powerful force. :D

I can't agrue this point, but it is something that I have not been able to do sucessfully. :help:

13. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Well, first of all, wise decision. A mid-priced P/J can serve you well, for the rest of your life, really. Change the pickups, do a nice setup, and you are there.

But I'm sure as you go on to middle school, then high school, college, and then start making money on you own, you will want more and better.

14. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    :D

15. ... the maturity to realize that your "realities" do not limit the dreams or actions of others.

16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    You are wise, oh young one. You have learned well.

You can also look at it another way. Whereas some constantly buy and sell while they chase some elusive notion of "the perfect tone", you can also buy and sell for a completely different reason - the joy/fun of simply trying something new, kind of like the way people might be in multiple bands over a long period of time or even in multiple bands at any one time. It's just fun to do and you learn something from each experience.

In other words, it's a matter of perspective.

17. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Indeed. It is only a matter of time...

18. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Spend more time playing bass and less time "researching" on TB, and you'll be better than most of us on here in no time.

Pick the bass that suits you down the road. In the long run, it will save you a lot of time, money, and frustration.

19. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    This is Flawed logic.

20. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Fender Mexi PJ is a great choice, My MIM P is still one of my main players, even though I have 9 basses. You've picked a great bass, that will serve you well. Maybe you will want another in a couple years, or maybe you'll play that bass forever. Only time will tell. In the mean time enjoy the ride, and be sure to spend more time practicing than on Talkbass.