Totally amateur recordings thread

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bholder, Mar 9, 2019.

1. DeepFriedBass

DeepFriedBass

Nov 21, 2019
    Hey is that an AKG perception 120?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That's a friend's mic, and I don't have a clue :) . I vaguely remember it being a mic he was very protective of though.

3. DeepFriedBass

DeepFriedBass

Nov 21, 2019
    Sweet track though, wish it were longer. Great bass, reminds me of flea or the guy from mudvayne possibly even better tone.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  4. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Since it's the day after Thanksgiving, and thus, officially the Christmas season...

This track features what I consider to be one of my best bass lines, and one of my best funky rhythm guitar lines (both done on keyboard).

5. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    It's been a while since I've posted a recording, here's something I put together over the past two days.

nuage420b likes this.
  6. I always like checking in on this thread and seeing what has been posted in here since I last looked. I haven't posted in a while because I have been stuck trying to write a melody for the last song I posted. It took me far longer than I would have liked, but here it is. All critiques welcome, in fact I would prefer it since it helps me grow as a musician!

MonetBass, FilterFunk and bholder like this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Nice smooth groove!

NSJB likes this.
  8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    A little ditty I came up with playing with the Roland GR-55 synth. Came out better than expected, wish I'd noted the settings I used, haven't been able to repro. :(

9. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    That's one of the nicest pop tracks I've heard in a long time. I dig it!:thumbsup:

NSJB likes this.
  10. Hi bholder and FilterFunk, I really appreciate the kind words! Is there anything either of you noticed about the mix or just general structure that you thought could use some work? I usually mix up the structure with at least one more section in songs I write, but I wanted to try and see if I could keep things from getting too repetitive with only an A and a B section for a song.

11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    This morning's attempt to recreate without the synth (on Yamaha silent acoustic):

MonetBass likes this.
  12. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Any Book Of Love fans? Here's a cover I did on my Ensoniq.

13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Never heard of Book of Love, but that version of Tubular Bells rawks! :)

MonetBass likes this.
  14. Whoops, I think I killed the link. Here is a replacement.

15. 2many

2many

Sep 14, 2019
    New here... don’t know what/how you guys are posting just the wave form of your songs. I do have some in youtube form. I don’t have any other format I can post.
    I will say that the stuff i listened to here didn’t seem so amateur as my home recordings!

Stuff rocks by sycamore haze and stuff rocks by stuff like that...

Ok, now I need to duck the incoming debris...and I have not disabled these! (but somehow they are disabled)
    Sorry you have to hear them on youtube.

16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Better than anything I've posted! :thumbsup:

17. 2many

2many

Sep 14, 2019

Alright, thanks for the kind words. I just joined SoundCloud in order to have a host for some of my stuff. Just getting started over there. I am a fan of experimental music among other types. And I do have many irons in the fire. But I subscribed to this thread to hear what other people are doing. Even when the bands I was in were happening, we were somewhat nonconformists. Previously I posted "stuff rocks" from stuff like that's 1st album and same song from sycamore haze's last album. Recorded here in the brownroom, my home studio. I would like to now post "the long one" from the jam session on 1-25-2020. I am providing the comments from the soundcloud song page, as well as photos of the particular not normal equipment I was using that night.
    This is LONG-ass psychedelic spacey stuff here. Amateur recording.

The song comment on soundcloud;

Mood music for ya... Have some patience.
    This is a long one from the 1-25-20 jam session. What was particular is, I changed up from my normal chain of inputs and went this way;
    5 string low B Dean Rhapsody bass to digitech PDS 1550 dual distortion to DOD 680 analog delay to bellari RP533 studio tube multi processor (compression) to SWR SM900 amp and into the open air with a 1) 18" and 2) 10" speakers.
    (two channel amp split W/450 watts to each cab)
    So that was my chain for the bass... The recording itself is a whole other story. And the solo guitarist was using a number of effects along with some loop station.
    There are no parameters at all. When we jam we just begin making sounds and it goes where our ears take us. This starts out with my bass in delay and morfs into the distortion. Both of us making pedal adjustments on the fly. Jumping over to the keyboards and playing both bass and keys. getting to the drum machine and operating it. I was particularly pleased with this track from that evening. So being new to sound cloud I figured I would offer up some of the very latest. But... there is a wealth of material to lay down here. Looks like the only limit is my basic account which allows only 3 hours of songs.
    I do have a youtube page where I have put anything that was in video format... Whether it was flawed or not. (we are not professionals after all)
    www.youtube.com/user/nerpnilknarf
    For ten years I had a band thing going here in the brownroom. We played psychedelic rock and roll boogie blues. Old B sides you never heard and originals. Our weekly rehearsals were not a slave driving operation. IE, we'd do our song list, then everyone would get a copy to listen to and make their own adjustments. The idea was to have fun and play! Songs like this one would crop up between regular tunes. We had some small success, recorded 6 albums, did gigs... ect. Now, here in 2020, two members out of four are dead! The survivors are still jamming a little.

The vintage junk I was playing through;
    (that delay is so old it plugs in the wall. before the days of 9 volt pedals)

IMG_8482.jpg IMG_8484.jpg IMG_8486.jpg IMG_8487.jpg IMG_8489.jpg

Normally I am wireless and running through the line six bass pod pro into the amp...
    And the recording...
    this is the rig that captures our "room" sound... Ocktava 319's to pre-amp with analog to digital converter straight to sony MDS E-12 mini disc. It's dynamite!

temp pics 116.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    MonetBass likes this.
  18. I have to disagree at least for myself, you've got way more professional recordings! I record everything direct and try and mask the lack of space using collective and individual reverbs and I wish I could have any kind of actual mic-ing setup like you have!

bholder likes this.
  19. 2many

2many

Sep 14, 2019
    Thanks for the vote of confidence there...
    I don't fully understand the statement about masking the lack of space.
    My "room recording rig" gets/picks up what is being played in the room very well. High quality large diaphragm mics, warm tube preamp with digital converter, direct transfer to digital recording medium. In fact, I was so happy with that assembly that I created two identical units! But I digress... Cause those two versions of "stuff rocks" are multitrack recordings for albums I created for the bands I had formed. That other long one was indeed a room recording. To further show the example of the two... Here's the same song, rocky road, done in both fashions...
    Live and multitrack;

So, with the first version, that's what we sounded like that night. I myself sometimes end up with too much of a booming sound in my rig. Ya don't find out until you listen back. But that's where you strive to make corrections next week! Of course with the multitrack stuff, I would pour over the material for months to try to perfect the songs. I will never be satisfied, I always find something I want corrected. Eventually you just live with it.
    BTW, I just posted the whole sycamore haze album "in the acid rain" as an album/playlist on soundcloud

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    MonetBass and bholder like this.
  20. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Nice samples. Not sure what to say about the recording techniques used, but diggin' the tunes, thanks! :thumbsup::cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021