Totally amateur recordings thread

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bholder, Mar 9, 2019.

1. 2many

2many

Sep 14, 2019
    How about...
    “Unconventional” ?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    My latest bass clarinet and RAV Vast (pan drum) effort. Not terribly advanced, exploring some new high notes on the bass clarinet (first foray into the altissimo register):

3. 2many

2many

Sep 14, 2019
    Hope this thread does not die...hope I am not killing it!

At one point, my band (stuff like that) was down to bass and drums... I got my drummer to lay tracks and I played a bunch of instruments. In some cases, I was able to bring in a vocalist or guitarist. I am no guitarist, Ha, I can barely finger a chord. But I do dabble in soprano, alto and tenor sax, I do have some keyboards and a bunch of percussion toys.
    So I made a 20 song album.. (see thumbnail) In some cases, it's the drummer drumming, and I had to do all the rest. Totally amateur.
    Here's a cover of the late 60's hit by ultimate spinach called ego trip and a cover of the song called jelly roll gum drop off frank zappa's freak out album.

This one's just the drummer and me, but I got a guy named Mike StJohn (formally did a stint with paul revere and the raiders) to do the vocal. My wife sings the backing vocal.

This one, The drummer (rip) did drums and vocal. Though I added in some backing. I had to play all that other stuff. BUT, it kept us going and me working audio until the band acquired a new set of personnel and changed the name to sycamore haze.

I have filled up my free zone on sound cloud now. I have been cycling things in and out. The oldest thing is from 1981 and that is pretty crazy cut ups. There's a few chosen songs from other albums and some actual jamming with me and a guitarist from as recently as two weeks ago. Not necessarily professional, but certainly wide ranging.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    bholder likes this.
  4. HumanLarvae

HumanLarvae

Mar 5, 2020
    Dude, I’m so down for this. I do “pro” stuff but with my band and in a real studio. But by myself I do looper, drum machine and me on a phone recording.

5. HumanLarvae

HumanLarvae

Mar 5, 2020
    Dig the NGD one, really good playing. It’s a guitar though! Illegal! (Kidding it’s cool)

bholder likes this.
  6. HumanLarvae

HumanLarvae

Mar 5, 2020
    Love that kind of style man. That was cool.

7. HumanLarvae

HumanLarvae

Mar 5, 2020
    I use the same pedal. That thing is awesome!

bholder likes this.
  8. HumanLarvae

HumanLarvae

Mar 5, 2020
    Here is one of mine. You asked for amateur and I am certainly delivering. Zoom b3n pedal with drum machine and loop, all improv, recorded on a phone mic.

bholder likes this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Warning: beginning sax player recordings - been at tenor since last April, bari since last Wednesday:

pie_man_25 and 2many like this.
  10. 2many

2many

Sep 14, 2019
    Well I say you are leaps and bounds ahead of me. I’ve had an alto since 76. But I’ve never really been too comfortable about letting people hear it.
    But then, I am guessing, you already had a woodwind background.
    So... very good... and I like the jazz material you’ve chosen.

bholder likes this.
  11. 2many

2many

Sep 14, 2019

Never tried a baritone, but here's a couple songs I wrote, arraigned and played most of the instruments in. I think they both have soprano, alto and tenor wrapped up in them.
    I think there's a few sour notes in there!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    bholder likes this.
  12. 2many

2many

Sep 14, 2019

And for giggles...
    Video clips from yesteryear thrown at a long jamming thing from inbetween songs of my band's rehearsal. It's about ten years old now.

bholder likes this.
  13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Thanks! Yeah, I've played various clarinets on and (mostly) off since grade school. I didn't really choose the material, I've been active on the Sax On The Web forums, and they have a series of "Beginner and Intermediate Tune Of The Month" threads I've been participating in. Not sure I'd say I'm "comfortable" with folks listening to my beginner thrashing about, kind of embarrassing, really, more that I'm shameless. :) Posting my recordings is helping me get better. :)

14. I guess some here would find our track and style unconventional

Mannyinnewyork and bholder like this.
  15. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Mannyinnewyork likes this.
  16. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    Seems fitting to post, since I've been spending a lot more time getting to know my DAW & home recording setup over the last week or so. I started a soundcloud account for any music I create & collaborate on during the quarantine weeks/months. Most of them are quick little 1-2 minute clips where I exchange bass/drums with a couple guitarist friends or vice versa. No significant time (if any at all) is put into 'production'. Just a quick turnaround to stay creative & occupied. Here's one I did on my own yesterday, which I'm relatively happy with...

ObsessiveArcher and bholder like this.
  17. My most recent. PC sonar recording, I play all the instruments and bla ,bla -had a friend sing it for me . Hofner bass, Luna nylon acoustic and telecaster.

18. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    Great idea for a thread! I tried posting this in a separate thread a few weeks ago, but something went wrong with my Bandcamp. Anyway, play bass in the Copenhagen-based Borato. The concept is a contemporary lo-fi (because we record at home, straight into our PC's) take on the synth-pop of the '80s. First tune out is Alive:

I'm using a Fender Mustang (Mexican PJ) with flatwound strings, exclusively, through a 3Leaf Audio Octabvre, MXR Bass Envelope Filter and a TC Electronic Mojomojo.

The Bandcamp page is still in its infancy, with only that one tune up at the moment, but we will be uploading regularly from now on. If you dig this sort of thing, check in on us every now and then.

tzohn and Mannyinnewyork like this.
  19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Should've called this "Crappity Sax" - tenor sax practice against a riff on my Em RAV Vast tone drum - making it the key of F# minor on clarinet - what a miserable key! lol

Adding Bb clarinet for enhanced craptasmicity.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  20. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    More crappity sax - got my baritone back from the shop now, it's actually playable now, all I need is tons of practice lol

MonetBass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021