Totally amateur recordings thread

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bholder, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    This one is a re-recording of a demo I originally did in 1989. Best with headphones. All GarageBand; the bass tracks are played and the rest is programmed.

bholder, Joe Nerve and FilterFunk like this.
  2. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    My buddy Dave is getting married next month and he will sing this song to his bride at their wedding using our recording as a backing track (a version with lead vocal missing). Fingers crossed he gets all the way through the song without becoming overcome with emotion. I don't think I could do it without choking up!!

3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Don't let it put you to sleep... I can't help but think I have subconsciously copied an existing work or mashed-up snippets of existing work, so if anyone knows of music that sounds suspiciously similar, let me know.

Instrumentation: Ukulele, string synths, electric piano and electric bass.

FilterFunk, bholder and Joe Nerve like this.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Not sure how I missed posting this one, which is my favorite...

Its all done in my bedroom. Drums are from a Roland drum machine, bass is actually a Stingray (though I used another bass in the vid for a few reasons), guitar I'm pretty sure is an SX strat, and its recorded with Cubase.

The video is just 2 musician friends who agreed to help out in another friend's basement.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That's great stuff! Looks and sounds more professional than a basement video. :)

Crater and Joe Nerve like this.
  6. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    A little something involving a lady and her pet leopard in late 60's London

original.gif

Attached Files:

bholder likes this.
  7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    My latest Stick practice:
    with synth whistle:

with synth sitar:

8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    More stick practice. Coming along very slowly. Still cheating and multitracking instead of playing both hands at once (well, I practice that, but won't inflict it on anyone just yet. :D)

Platano Muse likes this.
  9. I've been back to recording in my spare time and I thought I'd drop in here for advice. I know this is the "amateur" recordings thread, but there are some pretty talented people here who I think could probably help out. I've never really recorded a song that absolutely needs vocals (I'd figure out some other instrumentation or just drop the project), but I've finished recording the attached song and it just needs vocals. There is not much other instrumentation that would work that I have on hand. With that said, I haven't really written a vocal melody part before, and I'd really appreciate advice on writing one.

Crater and bholder like this.
  10. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    In my mind's ear, I could hear something like a sax solo over that instead of vocals, but essentially the same problem (other than lyrics). A good singing melody line (whatever instrument) isn't a trivial thing, even a simple one. (Edit: I'm reminded of a David Gilmour interview where he said in essence that he had to put more effort into coming up with a good guitar solo melody than the entire rest of the tune - often singing it to himself first then transcribing onto the guitar.)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    NSJB likes this.
  11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a GK-3 recently and mounted it on my Carvin Holdsworth Fatboy, played around a little with GR-55 patches, here's the Celesta patch plus the Music Box voice and some fx, me fingerpicking "As Tears Go By". My playing sure needs work, but the GR-55 is tracking better on the guitar (which I can at least kind play already) than on the Stick.

20191010_105223.jpg

FilterFunk and NSJB like this.
  12. Hey bholder, I appreciate the paraphrased Gilmour quote. I think I might try transcribing something that way. Just try to riff against the counter melody by humming a line and transcribing. Also, a saxophone would work well, but midi saxophone only sounds "okay" on Logic (which I'm using as my DAW) in my opinion. I just don't think it sounds great in a lead context. Unfortunately, the only saxophone players I know are very knowledgeable professionals who I don't really want to bother to work on something I do in my spare time. Thanks again for the advice!

bholder likes this.
  13. We are self recording, mixing and mastering our first EP. Here's the intro and first song: Discovery - Maiden Voyage

HumanLarvae likes this.
  14. Platano Muse

Platano Muse

Mar 31, 2013
    Long Beach
    I've been multi-tracking for a bit, always learning something new. It's original stuff with some vibes borrowed here and there. Primarily guitar, though I started laying my own bass tracks around 7 to 8 years ago --> Vazquez

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    A little Wednesday morning wailing....

16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Since these have been such huge hits...

:D

17. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I've been revisiting some of my old tunes, and decided to re-record this one; it's an instrumental with elements of funk and rock:

HumanLarvae likes this.
  18. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I composed this instrumental back in the mid-'80s, when poppin', lockin' and breakin' were blowin' up. I re-recorded it two years ago. My bass lines usually have a lot of variety, but this one consists of just one synth bass note played along with the kick drum for the entire song. It's all about the dance! I call it "Release the Genie."

bholder likes this.
  19. Bboopbennie

Bboopbennie

Jun 16, 2019
    1976- Donna Summer cover. She was so hot in many ways-

Attached Files:

FilterFunk likes this.
  20. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Some guitar practice:

Using Roland GR-55 synth:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021