Totally amateur recordings thread

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bholder, Mar 9, 2019.

1. I made some revisions and re-recorded parts of the last song I posted. I feel like the changes make it far less repetitive. (I also doubled the verse melody on a high c five string, treading into that scary treble range with my bass)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    JRA and RogerTheAlien like this.
  2. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Here's another from our rehearsal two weeks ago

JRA and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  3. That link is dead and I cannot edit it now, soooooo:

FilterFunk likes this.
  4. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA

One more from our rehearsal in June. Each track was recorded as a mono signal. Keyboard amp line out went to mixer without a DI box making the original track very clipped. I took each track and “Normalized” gain to -12db. Applied very light compression to each track, UA EMT 140 plate reverb plug in for vocal and guitar. The Stereo Out track had Tube pre-amp Plugin for harmonic warmth (to hide keyboard clipping) and a Fairchild compressor plugin set to add stereo width.
    Exported this file to a Mastering project in Cubase. Lightly touched the input track with the Fairchild plugin, then to the next track with Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor, and finished it off with the “Remastered” setting in the native Cubase Maximizer plugin.
    It was fun to get this one to sound the way it does vs the raw tracks.
    I’m playing my G&L M-2500 Tribute through a tube compressor with gain pushed to add a little grit :)

JRA, MonetBass, bholder and 1 other person like this.
  5. Troutman

Troutman

Apr 6, 2020

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Latest tenor sax session, just playing around over a backing track off youtube.

JRA, MonetBass and One Way like this.
  7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Very nice!

8. Wow, I saw the thread pop up with new stuff and I just noticed that I forgot to share the EP I finished here. I took a number of songs I posted here, re-recorded some parts, and remixed them. I also wrote a small amount of new stuff for it. It's the first EP of songs that I was proud enough to distribute to spotify so it was easier for some people I know to check it out.

(Bandcamp link for those that don't want to use spotify)

tzohn, MonetBass and bholder like this.
  9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    My crappity first attempt at recording something with my newish soprano sax. Lots and lots of intonation issues and flubs, but way better than a few days ago. Soprano is tough! smile.png

(backing track is online drum machine plus my crappity guitar playing)

MonetBass likes this.
  10. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I've been working on re-recording and re-mixing my album tracks in Studio One. Previously, I had sequenced the drums and other synth parts on my keyboard, then recorded the whole thing as one stereo track. Now I'm recording each sequence track individually so I can apply EQ and other stuff to them differently. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

NSJB and bholder like this.
  11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    That sounds really good! I like!

MonetBass likes this.
  12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I've no clue what possessed me to record this. Backing is stolen off of youtube, just couldn't resist playing with effects on spoken voice over it. No idea why. :wacky::chicken::beaver::p

MonetBass likes this.
  13. We're putting together our first record, would love some of you to check it out.

14. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    GA
    Video treatment of one of my tunes, "Phone Call (With A Chance of Sand)

Wattle and bholder like this.
  15. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Sorry, had to remix this track again, which is why the link is missing. Here is the final mix.

JRA, Wattle and bholder like this.
  16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    That sounds really good! :thumbsup:

MonetBass likes this.
  17. tiny warlock

tiny warlock

Oct 14, 2019
    NOLA
    My band, leafdrinker, just finished up our sophomore album. Everything was recorded and mixed by us in our drummer's living room (though we did get outside help mastering - is that still amateur?). It's me on bass.

JRA, MonetBass and Troutman like this.
  18. Troutman

Troutman

Apr 6, 2020

tzohn and bholder like this.
  19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Well just for kicks, here's a little sample tune using my new synths - Future Impact and Source Audio C4 with the bass half of my Chapman Grand Stick (melody half flute sound via Roland GR-55).

JRA and MonetBass like this.
  20. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Today's episode. Now with 300% more stereo swirlies...

MonetBass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021