Trace Elliot GP12xv

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kristoffer, Aug 17, 2005.

1. kristoffer

Jul 8, 2004
    Hi! I have got a good price on a Trace Elliot GP12xv, and I will probably buy it. Anyone have any experience of this preamp? I allready have a TE V4 that I really love.

I have to buy a Poweramp too, anyone have any suggestions here?

2. Drpepper99uk

Dec 31, 2004

I currently own a later spec GP12X preamp and I think it's brilliant.I'm a bit confused by your post as to whether it's a GP11 series(built around 1990) or a GP12 series preamp like the SMX range(mid 90's)

I had to have my serviced as the front panel illumination wasen't working when I bought it, although it wasen't exactly a major thing, but I like my amp's/preamp's working properly.As for reliability I've had no problems with it whatsoever despite the fact(and from what people on here say) that it's a later build from the Gibson era which should be avoided and opt for the pre Kaman units.

Sound wise it does exactly what I ask of it and nothing more.I use the valve stage a lot in certain songs which comes in handy for that slightly grundgy sound, othertimes I opt for the classic Trace Elliot preshape scooped sound which I find works wonders when playing slap.

I hope this helps.
  3. I disagree about the Gibson era totally sucking. They didn't, but QC could be dodgy. Gibson era TE products are definitly tainted!!

I've never heard of a GP12XV... typo? The GP12X is the gibson era of the SMX preamp.

As far as power amps go... QSC, Crown, Demeter and more all get great reviews on here!
  4. I have a GP12SMX and my only complaint is that it can generate a fair amount of hiss. Other than that, I love it. Going with the TE philosophy I try not to use compression at all, but when I do the on board two band compressor sounds great. The EQ balance control is also a pretty handy feature for quick changes between songs without having to twiddle with the faders.

I always use mine flat out of the tube preamp. Nothing wrong with the solider state pre, it just doesn't really suit my playing style.
  5. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    I think the XV preamp is the one that has a tube front end (no pan between solid state and tube), chrome housing and face plate, 12 band graphic EQ and noise reduction. It's pretty similar to a series 6 12 band pre, except it has a tube which is always in the signal path. If you like the V type pre but wish it had more EQ options, you'll probably like the XV.
  6. I was thinking that is what it could be, tho' I'd never heard of it - and assuming the X meaning it had the Gibson era GP12SMX pre I'd definitly not heard of it.

Sounds cool - how many valves does the pre have then?
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    All I can say is if your getting hiss something is wrong. I run a RAH350SMX and never have even gotten the slightest amount of hiss.

That should be the one. Thats a pretty rare preamp. It looks like the Twin, Quatra, and Hexa line of tube amps using the stainless steel housing.

I do however disagree that if you like the V type pre you'll like this one. The V type and the XV are two totally different animals in their tones and features. The V being more of an old school tube tone with some grit while the XV has a more clean hi-fi quality to it.
  8. kristoffer

Jul 8, 2004
    Yeah, it should be a tube in it. Here's a picture of it:

Attached Files:

9. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I just picked up a GP12SMX 4-10 combo. Wow, what great tone! I get a very, very small amount of hiss, but my real issue is a 60hz ground buzz that won't go away. I have yet to finish my testing (i.e. out of the DI) but nothing I do eliminates it. Suggestions? Otherwise, I love this amp.

10. Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    When I first got my AH200, it had a similar buzz (50Hz, I'm in continental Europe). Brought it back to the shop, they said it was normal. Been in doubt for a long time, then decided to take the risk, void warrantee, open up the case to see if I could find something. It turned out one of the leads from the transformer to the circuit board had a bad connection. Disconnected that one, stripped the wire, connected again, buzz was gone.

I have a history of opening up any device I use, sooner or later. Either because something is wrong with it, or just out of curiosity. Don't try this if you have never worked on electronics before. In that case I suggest you have an experienced person take a look at it.
  11. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I've performed similar surgery like this in the past. Upon initial inspection when I cleaned it up I didn't notice anything; however, I didn't pull the boards up either. I'll try this though and see what I find. I've fixed many gremlins caused by bad/cold solder joints.

Thanks for the suggestion, Antonius.
  12. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    The GP12XV is from the Series Six era, before the SMX range which actually came out before the whole Gibson thing.
    The GP12XV is the pre amp stage of the Hexa, Quatra, and Twin valve amps. It has front and rear panel DI outs, FX loop, rear panel variable crossover, pre amp link, and really sweet round traffic light input gain lamps to boot. It is my fave pre with my pre-EB Ray, my Status Electro, and my super dub pig Ovation Magnum - quite a range there...
    I love Trace green, but maybe I love Trace chrome more!
  13. e-kill

Apr 24, 2001
    Sweden / Stockholm
    I just bought a used GP12xv. And i simply doesnt get anything to my poweramp. The lights on the left side of the amp shows that the signal goes from my bass as far as to those lights, but after that im uncertain. Should i crack it open or is there any special way to make it work with my poweramp?

- i tryed different cables
    - i tryed all lines out that i could see

any tips except those i've tryed?
  14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Man, what's with the GP12XV's popping up in Australia and Sweden, but not on my side of The Pond? ;)

That is a very good preamp, and I'd love to have one to pair up with a nice tube power amp.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY time my friend, in time...

16. Well, there's a lot of variables at play here. Eliminate things so you can divide and conquer.

First, make sure the power amp works by testing it with other gear. Or maybe even try plugging your bass directly into it just to see if the signal is being amplified.

Then, make sure the cables work - test using a multimeter.

Keep the hook up simple. One cable from pre to power - use the MOST likely looking jacks - main output to ch 1 input.

Then I guess it's a case of making sure you're twiddling the right knobs and pressing the right buttons... which I can't help you with as I don't know the device. Perhaps if someone were to direct the forumites to a nice picture of the front and back panels?
  17. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    They're great Pre's IMHO. I use one and I really like the clarity I get with my F-bass BN-5. My chain is TE GP12XV>SWR Stereo 800 (bridged)>Eden 2-10XLT. The chrome is cool!

When hooking it up, make sure you plug into the "full-range" output and go to your amp from there.

The 12AX7 tube does matter in these pres! I've tried some that sounded dull and others that brought it to life so don't forget this if you're not satisfied with the tone. It also has a sweet transformer coupled DI too!

18. e-kill

Apr 24, 2001
    Sweden / Stockholm
    This is the one thing that i've never understood:

What is the DI thing for?
  19. DI stands for direct injection (depending on who you're asking) and DI outputs are designed for sending your signal to a mixing desk.

DI outputs are low impedance, balanced outputs. These characteristics make them similar to the output of a professional microphone. This makes gain structuring easier, and the balanced signal reduces the noise and interference problems that cables are suceptible to.
  20. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    What better way to resurrect an old thread than to introduce a new (albeit used) member to the TB-TE family? Any suggestions, helpful hints, and timely tips from you Trace vets would be greatly appreciated!