1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tweeter Hiss on Markbass CMD1020p

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Accostingwalrus, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Hey fam, I have a Markbass CMD1020p combo amp. Its a 2x10 with a piezo tweeter. There is a background hum/hiss that i believe is coming from the tweeter. If i turn down the high end the hiss goes away so its definitely tweeter. And its there when the amp is on but not plugged into a bass. The amp sounds soooooo good, the tone is so warm and when i turn up the volume the bass hugs my soul. But the background hiss gets a little annoying, which is why im asking if there is anyway to reduce the noise without turning down the high end (love me some slaps)

2. Rick James

Rick James Banned

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Tweeters can't create hiss, they can only reproduce the hiss created by the amp.

AlexanderB likes this.
  3. That was a real fault of those combos. Those LeSon piezo tweeters don't really do anything useful to the sound. They start so high, far higher than any really useful low-treble that they just end up hissing and occasionally reproducing string squeak. They should have put compression drivers in those. My NY121 barely ever registers any sound out of its piezo tweeter.

There's no harm in dialling back the treble to stop that hiss. You might want to also look at your signal chain. Your bass might be hissing if it's active. My TRB1005j hisses quite a bit if I boost the onboard treble. My Laklands don't hiss nearly as much.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Ditto. My CMD 121H combo has a compression driver. Never a hiss. Such a good sounding combo overall, too.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Disconnect the tweeter; that always makes bass amps sound better (to me). I still have the tweeter connected on my Minimark and I don't recall there being too much (any, really) hiss from it.

6. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I can turn mine (compression drivers) down or off, which I do.
    Blew the one on my GK 212MBE (thought the switch was off, loud band), so that's out. :D

7. So i put a mr clean scrubby thing over the tweeter and it blocked out all of the hiss! And it didnt really affect the tone as much as i thought it would

seamonkey and JxBass like this.
  8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Now, you have a nice, clean tone. :D

eriky4003 likes this.
  9. Crazzle

Crazzle

Oct 17, 2018
    Here's my solution... Girlfriend's crocheted "granny squares" : )
    MBCrochet.JPG

seamonkey likes this.