1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Two Bass Players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GreggBummer, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Just got back from an impromptu jam session with another friend who plays bass. We had a drummer, two bass players, and a guitar. We had a really good time just jamming.

However, all of us were stumped to name a mainstream (or even obscure) band that had two bass players in it's original line up.

Can anyone name a few bands with two bass players?

Oh yeah, and a "reunion" band with all the dudes who played bass in it over 30 years doesn't count.

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    Victor Wooten

3. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    I cannot. However, I do recall hearing of a band that did have two bass players. If I remember I'll let you know.

4. nope, can't be done, and here's a documentary to prove it:

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin?

Maybe not "mainstream" as-such, they had a few minor hits though, and they were ace live.

Kill Your Television
    Happy
    Grey Cell Green

One would play melody stuff up the top end on a Rick, the other would play a more "normal" bass part on a Stingray.

6. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    King Crimson toured in the 90's with Tony Levin & Trey Gunn both playing bass. Part of the double trio mania.

7. damianerskine

damianerskine

Jun 15, 2005
    Portland, or
    Endorsing artist: Skjold basses,Zon basses,Aguilar,D'Addario,GruvGear
    DUMPSTAPHUNK ! Check em out. Ivan Neville's new super funky band out of New Orleans. Bad-ass and stanky. killin' band. I've seen them at festivals I was at last summer and they were great every time.

8. nbw

nbw

Nov 10, 2003
    Arlington Texas
    Cantata Sangui. They have two bass players and no guitarist. Sounds like a mix between Goth and Jem's 24(ultra violet movie theme song I think). I've been listening to it a LOT lately. If you do a search on TB you can find a link to download the song.

9. pompompom

pompompom

Dec 31, 2003
    Bunkur; a dutch Doom band, no guitars involved!:bassist:

10. DOS.

The band is ONLY two bass players and which feature the highly acclaimed bassists Mike Watt of The Minutemen/ Firehouse, and Kira Roessler of Black Flag.

I think the mentioning of Neds Atomic Dustbin is an excellent example of two basses working quite complimentary with one another in more of a straight forward pop rock direction that was still commercially viable.

11. The only one I can think of is King Crimson, as mentioned before with Trey Gunn playing touch guitar and Tony Levin playing bass and Chapman Stick. Whether this counts as 2 bassists is questionable, as both players often switch roles according to the tune being played.

12. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
  13. More of an avante-noise band but Cop Shoot Cop.

14. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Many Beach Boys RECORDINGS have 2 bassists.

15. I am not sure why Mr. Wooten ended up on the list... unless you mean his is so good that he counts as two guys. :)

16. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    Spinal Tap! Check out "Big Bottom."

17. mustang-monk

mustang-monk

Feb 1, 2008
    Victor Wooten is 2 midgets taped together.

18. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Does that mean when he is doing the 'Bass Extremes' thing with Steve Bailey.........it's actually 4 midgets in total on stage?:confused:

;)

19. ''Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got'em''

beat me to it.