Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Type of Ram needed for Pro Tools(well)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by FungusHumungous, Mar 22, 2004.

1. I'm attempting to set up a desktop studio at home in order to start producing demos and the like, yet one problem keeps coming up: RAM
    I'm running a Dell Dimension with 256 mb RAM.
    I am sure that this is not enough memory and have heard suggestions that I should have about 1 gig RAM.
    That is not the question however.

I remember being told that there is a specific type of RAM(something like "BUS"?) that allows for programs like Pro Tools to run best(Macs have this type of RAM standarad that makes them better for graphics/production type programs, but PCs don't).
    Any help with what type of RAM I'm speaking of? :help:

Glenn

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  3. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    If you dont have a digidesign audio card/interface it wont matter how much RAM you've got, because Pro Tools simply doesnt function without digidesign hardware.

But i'd be aiming for atleast 2x512mb sticks. 1 gig sticks are still really expensive, so i reckon 512's are a decent option. If you cant afford two, just getting one, and pairing it with your existing 256 stick should also give you decent results.

But as blisshead said.....it all depends on how many sticks your PC is capable of housing. My post was based on the assumption that you have 2 slots with one of them already filled with a single 256

4. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    hmmm ....sorry .....didnt read your post properly

5. it's the Mbox I have
    Does RAM speed have anything to do with it?

GLenn