1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    To me your bass has to be a $350 to $500 bass.....it has to approach or rival some serious boutiques and a bass i would be hard pressed to pass up (yes i like fretless).

sharkwagon likes this.
  2. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I bet the SFs will work great with most any preamp designed for passive pickups.

JEDI BASS, Runnerman and mb94952 like this.
  3. sharkwagon

sharkwagon

Aug 13, 2009
    Dallas TX
    If it sounds good with the pickups and preamp that are in it I’d say leave it as is and rock the strings off it

4. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Good... but I will have to see if it sounds great in a band setting.

5. Seems like sticking Barts in TL-5's was quite common. Got word today on this,just up for sale in London.

s-l1600 (1).

Couple of things I don't get. What happened to the neck pickup ring under B ? If you're going to stick a big MM humbucker in there wouldn't you pare a bit out so the poles lie under the strings ?
    6711_medium. s-l1600.

$600 !! No thanks

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    $600 no.....Sitting in a pawn unsold for months (not likely in my area these are rare even though im in Peavey country) i would love to give it a whirl and make an offer if it were a truly great bass overall..$300 tops which would be a steal if it does play and sound very good.

I would probably route the bridge PU slot a slight bit to get the alignment better....ive used black foam to fill in on humbucker routes on P-90 guitars (if they are clean routes) and used a slightly bigger import P-90 cover which could be done here as well....but yeah that PU alignment bugs the crap out of me!

7. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    That alignment is pretty bad, it would bug me, too.

8. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Stevie Wonder Lutherie. Sorry, bad taste.

9. It looks bad but in this case I think it'll play bad too.
    I had a similar experience last year with a 51 style P-bass,playing on E pulled the string out of the magnet's range.
    It was great for pick down strokes :D

Simple solution here is ditch the Duncan for a blade humbucker. Extra cost on an already over-priced bass :(

10. I'd bet $5 that Stevie tells blind jokes :D

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  11. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Nice darts Kodiakblair.

kodiakblair likes this.
  12. Landsharks

Landsharks

Jul 24, 2009
    Oxford, MS
    I aquired a Foundation S at a pawn shop about a year ago. The top half of the p bass pickup was dead and last night I won a NOS Schaller pickup that looks just like the original. I'm glad I waited and found a perfect replacement. I am paying as much for the pickup as I did for the bass, $60!

DaDo625, MCF, bigtone23 and 4 others like this.
  13. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Well well well... I’ve been wrestling with what to do with the TL-5. I heard a little noise when I tried it out before buying, that the seller says was the battery dying. I’m not sure that’s the cause. I’m fresh out of 9 volts, and I could barely get any sound out of the bass earlier. Did the tongue test and the battery feels to have around half it’s strength still.

I started pondering... what preamps do I have laying around? Then I remembered having an EMG BTC, volume pots, blend pot, passive tone, and a few extra EMG parts, all solderless. I dug out my 4 string EMG Jazz set that I had in a bass that I sold a while back. Turns out that the EMG J pickup shape (the protrusions for the screws) match up with the routes that are already in the TL-5. And the magnet length works for the TL-5’s narrower string spacing.

I’m going to install these EMG pups n parts, and orient the pickups as far apart as I can, like my red Lakland Scheff. I don’t want a J bass sound. I’d rather have one pickup very close to the bridge, and the other as close to the neck as possible. It’s all solderless. So, it will be a no cost, quick and easy experiment. I still have a set of SFs, if I don’t like the results.

bigtone23, MCF and BassikLee like this.
  14. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I would try a new battery first just to make sure.

Chuck M likes this.
  15. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I did... no luck. No worries, I stayed up after work and installed the EMG J pickups, the BTC (Volume, p’up pan, & stacked bass/treble boost/cut) plus the tone control the the seller sent with. Thanks Nino Valenti! Everything seems to be working, although I tested without re-installing the strings. I still have several things to do before I’m done. I’ll post pics when I’m finished.

Runnerman and BassikLee like this.
  16. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    8B391BA6-AF9E-4D42-A688-41DA9091797D. After some measuring, I realized that the bridge p’up needed to be as far forward as possible to ensure that the 3.1” magnet would sense the B and G properly (per EMG’s instructions). I also would need a 3/8” (threaded section) input jack to be able to use the extra hole on the front of the body. I prefer my jacks on the front, if possible. So, I’ll be soldering to the stock jack, and will have a hole to contend with... I’ll figure a way to cover it aesthetically.

So, this is where the 4 string J bass set will be mounted. I’ve already started tracing out some wood pieces to cover the two “canyons” left behind by the dummy that routed for the MK-1s. I’ll paint them black. Should look good enough. I’m trying hard to resist buying a set of EMG soapbars that would fill the routes up nicely. I’d have almost as much in the pickups as I paid for the bass! I guess I’ll just have to wait and see how these J pups and EMG BTC sound.

MCF and BamaBird like this.
  17. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh yeah.... there’s still the Super Ferrite set too! I just don’t have a preamp for them.... or do I????

I think I may have an old Bartolini pre somewhere from an old Lakland 55-94!!! Time to tear apart the house!

BassikLee likes this.
  18. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Looks like a fun project. I turned my 81 L2Ke into a test platform. I wasn't too concerned with the asthetics. You can imagine what a set of EMG VJs looked like mounted in those gigantic MFD wells. I tried all manners of preamps, EMGs, Barts.. settling on a U-Retro. I added a side jack to it.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  19. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    A stunt pot will fill that hole. That, or a producer switch

JEDI BASS, Runnerman and Chuck M like this.
  20. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Great minds..... they say.

That was the first thing that came to mind! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Relsom likes this.