1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I'm on 50 week per year staff of a large pro church. I gigged an Axcellerator 200x... never a negative comment from the pro staff.... Mine was a rare non-purple....

The downside of an Axcellerator is the neck (for some mysterious reason) seems to not be able to be arrow straight - I commonly play with 1MM action.

VFLs do pop up periodically -- I forget who had them, someone had a drop in replacement after market.

I have a local guy that can reuse the plastic and custom wind whatever you want.

2. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

OMG sometimes you win the GC lottery. Like the Axcelerator I bought that was NOS with hangtags. YOU got the nicest T40 on the planet and the fact that the letter wasn't lost !! That thing is PRICELESS !!!!

tindrum likes this.
  3. mb94952

Leave the strings on it !!!!!!!!!

4. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Thats what I was hoping!

mb94952 likes this.
  5. mb94952

I need to stock up, then. I WISH I had the $$ to stock up on Milli preamps when they had them and I KNEW they were discontinuing them.

6. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    What is a pro church?

7. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I need to pull the one out of my Millennium and see if I can copy it. I guess the problem is the mid stack from what I've heard.

8. MNAirHead

9. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Holy Moly!! .....I had no idea that was a thing.
    We have a few big churches in Austin, but I had no idea that any brick and mortar (not television) church had that much cash flow.
    My experience was in a Roman Catholic Church/School, in the 1960's.
    Stopped attending when I was eleven or twelve, which means I ditched church until I was seventeen and went to live on my own.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    TinIndian likes this.
  10. MNAirHead

When well run.... they can do incredible things across the globe

It takes a lot of work to be relevant to a group.

----

I have a few more minutes (and on an a computer). Money has zero to do with it.. sheesh, I played a $180 Axcellerator and $60 DI for years.... it's more about relevance and comfort. The demographic has changed, pipe organs and cantors are less comforting to some than a rumbling legato bass. The root cause is that it's trendy to hate all faith traditions and our society is moving away from physical groups to fragmented groups that live withinin a telephone.

Back to Peavey, they have a branded solution "architectural acoustics." The problem it solves is a group can choose a color of big black boxy concert speakers.... they also have done a rockstar job of creating things that allow a volunteer to mininimize feedback (think auto-notch filters).

There are many that can buy a PR (Peavey microphone designation) for about $50 and have the life changing realized dream of vocalizing in front/with a group.

I can't tell you the number of folks that have approached me listening to Mr Reed doing a stomp run and ask about a Ken Smith... I then put a cirrus 5 or 6 in their hands and point out it's about 1/3 the price (and more predictable).

Due to budgeting and geography, the company has helped us buy some cool stuff that does cool stuff.

-----

Now all that said -- let's try to keep this forum supportive, thoughtful and collaborative.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 6:25 AM
    tindrum likes this.
  11. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Does anybody else feel (sort of) compelled to play their U.S. Peavey bass only through U.S. Peavey amplifiers?
    EC6997F1-477B-4B66-A63A-4F68EF163BB3.jpeg

I would surely get over it in the right situation, but it feels weird to me to play a Peavey bass through my GK or Mesa. Odd, perhaps, that I have no qualms about playing my Fender through non-Fender amplifiers (I don’t even own a Fender amplifier, and don’t expect that to change). I suspect it’s because I have always thought of Peavey as an amplifier company that makes other stuff whereas I think of Fender as a stringed instrument company that makes other stuff.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    Shawn Luckman and PeaveyPlayer like this.
  12. mb94952

There was a brief time where I played all peavey gear from head to toe. One show we did was at a local club that had the best sound system around. It was at Last Day Saloon in Santa Rosa in 2010 for those that know Sonoma County when Hedgehog Ron was alive and doing the booking. I had my Cirrus through a Firebass 700, and a Peavey 410 cab, D.I.'d through the house. My tone was the best I ever heard it. I had a few compliments that night from those who know what good tone should sound like. The Firebass 700 is the most underrated bass head. And solid state, too, but warm. I might get a Nitro head because it's the same, but half the power (or so) and lighter.

JTbass44 and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  13. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

I know Sonoma County, having lived and worked in West Marin a while back. I also play Mesa, and have partaken of some Mesa and Alembic tourism over the years. Great place for bass!

mb94952 likes this.
  14. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I loved the fire bass tone with my cirrus

My biggest problem though is I wasn’t getting enough power at 4 ohms

or 8!

mb94952 likes this.
  15. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Gotta show tonight, using the B quad with OBP

tindrum and mb94952 like this.
  16. mb94952

OH MAN !!!!! I WISH I could be there my brother.

17. mb94952

18. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have landed on a nearly all Peavey chain for my CAN tribute. It started with a Century 200 head, then I got my 1984 Foundation, then shortly after a 1990 1x15" Scorpion Plus cab came into the fold. Add a couple pedals and it's the perfect rig for the gig. However, the 1x15" cab, as good as it sounds, is kinda clunky to move around, especially in and out of the basement. I also have a charcoal sparkle 1968 Kustom 2x12" (loaded with a Scorpion and a Hydrive 12") that gets more gigs as it's cooler looking and easier to move around. But... Now I just carry a small 1x12" cab and a Redbox DI since the amp only barely needs to feed my personal monitoring situation. The Foundation and Century 200 stay!

That is a hard hitting amp. The bassist in a sludgy band I was in during the mid 90s used one with a 2x15" Black Widow cab. It was brutal!

mb94952 and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  19. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    In the 80's up til I quit playing all I used was Peavey amplifiers an cabs. My 1st Amp was a TNT100. When I started really gigging I bought a Centurion Mark III and a 215 cab I special ordered with Black Widows. Even bought and still have, a Microbass combo.

Now I use a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 with a NEO 212T. I also have a Hartke Hydrive 112 and a MESA Road Ready 115 with a 3015. Other amps are a 1980 Musicman HD150, used that and the 212 last night, a Gallien Krueger 400RBII. Also still waiting on my Oliver amplifier for my 1968 Powerflex 502 to get back from the shop.

I don't feel bound to using a Peavey Amp with my rapidly growing collection of Peavey basses but I wouldn't have any problem using one.

mb94952 and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  20. For 10 years I owned & gigged with a Peavey TNT 160, loved that amp never let me down.

Monterey Bay-ss and TinIndian like this.