1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

U.S. Peavey Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soundchaser11460, Sep 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I feel you. I quit playing for 20 years around 1990 and since I've been playing again I just haven't looked back into them until recently. Not really sure why either. The only bass I kept when I quit was my Foundation S and I've been playing that steadily along with my others the last ten years. A lot of catching up to do.

2. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 14, 2011
    Sales Development Manager NN Inc. - Polymet, USA manufacturer of fret wire
    @kodiakblair ...you know what would be really cool....before you disband your collection, if you could line up all your Peavey's in order of production date in a photo(s).

TinIndian and kodiakblair like this.
  3. Early PJ Forum came in active and passive versions. 2nd Gen Forum was the active 1 pickup then there was the Forum AX.

tindrum and mech like this.
  4. I'd need a wide lens or very long corridor :)

mb94952 likes this.
  5. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I can't offer any feedback on the Foundation or the Accelerator but, the B-Ninety was a very intriguing bass. Some of the things I liked about were the weight (very light), fast neck, comfortable, high fret access, and no-frills design. I was prepared to spend double what I paid on the bass in modifications and would've kept it if the neck didn't have a vicious s-curve in the neck.

The "active" electronics are very basic. Just a 9v wired to a few pickups and a simple V,V,T setup. I'd say it's a great platform for a mod and I found the fretboard to be fairly flat. In some ways, it reminded me a lot of a 90's Ibanez SR bass.

If I find another good specimen down the road, I wouldn't be opposed to giving it another go.

TinIndian likes this.
  6. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm starting to learn that I need to have reserve funds set aside just for Peaveys. Ironically, when the right one pops up I've already purchased something else.

Crazy to think before last November I only had two T series Peaveys. Now, I have five on deck with the addition of the GV and two Mills. In addition to picking up a new GK Fusion 550, Motown DI, and other recording gear - my wallet is on fire.

Looks like another gear purge might be in my future.

TinIndian likes this.
  7. No complaints from me regarding the B-Ninety. Don't care for the slim 1.5" nut Peavey were so fond of, the 1.6" B-90 nut was a slight improvement :thumbsup:

The metallic blue finish was pretty :) A previous owner had swapped the pickups for Duncan Antiquities and added a Duncan preamp. Normally Duncan pickups leave me feeling indifferent but the B-90 cost me £66 so I'll let that slide :D
    They'd also stuck a Gotoh bridge on it :thumbsup:

8. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Looks like good bones to me. It really seems like a Foundation S with improved access.

Raw N Low likes this.
  9. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Update on my Dyna restoration - I have all the parts - except for the pickup screws - Doh! So, should be getting to work in another week or so. It's gonna turn out nice, I think.

10. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

To the best of my knowledege some were passive (to use the same CNC machining)

Axcellerator, I gigged one 250x with a pro audio staff (line arrays, DI etc) .. they found no need for me to "upgrade"

mb94952, tindrum and Raw N Low like this.
  11. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Correct. I should've specified that I had the active version of the B-Ninety. Another minor issue with mine was the Jazz pickup only worked on the D and G string. I haven't a clue how GC missed this when they were doing a gear check. Expected for an instrument of its age but, it would've been nice if they disclosed it.

All said, it was a cool bass and definitely had a rock attitude/vibe to it.

12. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Absolutely. Lots of access room in the control cavity to make repairs and upgrades and the neck pocket was really snug. For a budgeted bass, it had a lot of quality features I liked. It would've been the first bass I would attempt the upgrade the pickups and bridge on, so I was really bummed.

I usually buy solid instruments and play them as is. I've never had a desire to upgrade any of my instruments as they were top snuff out the box. I'm looking forward to meeting with Matt from Texas Toast about a neck for my Millennium. It plays good and feels good but, when an instrument hasn't been cared for -- you are kinda on borrowed time with extensive repairs.

I'm looking to do a quartersawn roasted maple neck with a satin finish. I think that will look really sharp on that green finish.

TinIndian likes this.
  13. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    For any of you new Peavey users and owners, or for any old TB Peavey users who wish to check out the older info of 80's 90's Peavey Basses (and guitars), I repost my links to the info I posted a few years back. I hope you Peavey owners find the info interesting. All pictures were taken from the Peavey Monitor magazines I own from the 80's and early 90's.
    A Pictorial Tribute To Peavey Fine Craftsmanship Part 1
    A Pictorial Tribute To Peavey Fine Craftsmanship Part 2
    A Pictorial Tribute To Peavey Fine Craftsmanship Part 3

14. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Thank you Giffro! I stickied this post for future reference.

I'm salivating over the Charcol Dyna Bass with a Khaler style tremolo. Beyond cool.

Giffro likes this.
  15. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Thank You! I look forward to reading it!

Giffro likes this.
  16. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I had a few of the old monitor magazines from that same time period. Unfortunately they went to the landfill long ago.

Giffro likes this.
  17. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I think I would rather have regular Gibson Speed Knobs than those.
    I do like the Peavey variation of a Speed Knob, but sometimes I also like the look of flat top chrome knurled knobs that came on Telecasters and Precisions.
    But I'm not real picky about my Peaveys (or other basses) being completely original.
    If my Peaveys come completely stock and really clean I won't change things, but if they're not stock, I don't chase down original parts.

Giffro and TinIndian like this.
  18. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    It's a funny thing. I like the chrome knobs on the Fenders just fine and I don't think speed knobs would look right on them. But on the 80's Peaveys they just look right.

I know. Weird right!

Giffro likes this.
  19. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Yeah me too..beautiful that charcoal coloured Dyna..although my red headed Lucy 2nd model 1991 Dyna with the flat top humbuckers is my favourite bass and takes preferential treatment over my Ric 4003 and Stingray 5 loll shhh don't tell Ric or Ernie lol
    Giff On Lucy Gig.JPG

tindrum, mb94952, JEDI BASS and 3 others like this.
  20. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    To me its just the aesthetic. Original in most of these things doesn't matter that much, heck I swapped Dimarzios into my Foundation S less than 6 months after I bought it new.

58kites likes this.