1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unwatchable movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Aug 8, 2012.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    As in "movies I tried really hard to watch but just couldn't".

Star Trek V - The Final Frontier was on again tonight. This was released in the late Eighties and since then I've tried to watch it maybe six or seven times. But each time I end up by quitting about 30 or 40 minutes into it. It's just so appallingly dreadful that I can't take any more, no matter how many times I attempt it.

I realise that this movie has now cost me, therefore, about four hours of my life, whereas if I'd just sat through the whole thing the first time, the ordeal would have been over after maybe two hours and I could move on.

So, what are your examples of movies you have tried hard to watch, but failed?

2. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Pearl Harbor. Frickin' awful movie all around. Even more infuriating was when I watched it and I was the only person who cared about the blatant historical inaccuracies...or the wooden acting...or that you couldn't tell the male leads apart...or the attack scene, where the main characters act out an actual act of heroism with no credit given to the men who actually pulled it off. To me this is the worst film I've ever seen.

Manos the Hands of Fate is also pretty bad. But that's at least funny.

3. "spaceballs"

i "saw" it by myself several years back cause i was bored and no friends around etc, and decided since it was Mel Brooks and John Candy it would be ok.

i walked out around a half hour in and I still shudder when i think of the awfulness.

davesignatureII-1.

4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    You sir are not an American!

5. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    But in all honesty I couldn't watch this medieval movie called "the darkest knight" or something like that. Me and my mom couldn't get past the first 30 seconds

6. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Come on!! Spaceballs was funny!!

7. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Auburn California
    Joe's Apartment. Look up its awfulness.

8. Anchorman. After 30 minutes I came to the conclusion that it was the stupidest movie I'd ever seen, so I shut off the DVD player in order to prevent the further loss of brain cells. I swore to myself that if I ever met Wil Ferrell I'd punch him in the mouth for making such crap. :mad:

Syriana was pretty unwatchable, too.

9. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Anchorman = hilarious... You should watch hot rod as well, from what I get about your taste in movies I bet you'll love it.

Tried to watch 2012, ended up just surfing fb with it in the background for 2 hours...

10. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Same as the bad movie thread: Teeth. I saw part of it once. I wish I hadn't.

11. i suppose the only thing that prevented me from having the same experience was that, having been subjected to Will Ferrell on Saturday Night Live, i already knew that he couldn't pry a laugh out of me with a crowbar....

hence, I have never seen a WF movie.

davesignatureII-1.

12. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Honestly I don't care much for Sacha Baron Cohen to begin with (I think he's just a Tom Green ripoff), but some of my friends were like "Oh man, Borat is really funny!" and I can't sit through more than 5 minutes of it without feeling like the film is making me dumber. There are plenty of movies I can't stand, but that was the first to come to mind for me.

13. Avatar. Missed it in 3d in the theaters even though everyone told me to go see it, and after watching for about 20 minutes at my house, figured that the 3d was the only reason to see it. Looked pretty but dumb as a rock.

Don't mess with the Zohan. Just stupid. lasted 20 minutes into that one too.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Election and District 9 come to mind.

Election seemed like it had some critical acclaim but I found the dialogue so inane that I couldn't stand it anymore and left the theater.

District 9 was just gross.

bc

15. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I thought Spaceballs was alright - it was a bit hit and miss, but I thought the hits were great. I loved the scene where the alien bursts out of the guy's stomach and starts singing and dancing on the bar counter.

As for movies I couldn't stand watching...

Glen Or Glenda - Ed Wood has a reputation for being the worst movie director ever. Even with that in mind, I couldn't watch the whole thing. Although it was really, really bizarre because the narrative didn't make any sense. I think I need to be with a group of friends and drunk to be able to appreciate its true magnificence.

Independence Day - I wanted to walk out about half-way through.

16. Internet Police

Internet Police

Sep 4, 2011
    Tropic thunder and Superbad were movies I couldn't watch more than 5 minutes of.

17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Borat, Avatar and Distirct 9 are all movies that I tired to watch and never got through. Interesting that other folks should mention them.

18. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    I thought Contagion was gonna be really good when it came on HBO a little while ago, turned the crap off in favor of Alien vs. Predator, which was stupid as well.

In keeping with the theme of an earlier post, if I ever saw Jude Law on the street I would punch him repeatedly in the face until he showed a hint that he could act. Once I saw him in the movie I knew it was done for.

19. NOT

NOT

Jul 15, 2011
    Never really got the whole Twilight thing. I went to see the first one with this girl I really liked. I fell asleep 20 minutes in and was woken up by theatre employees after it was over. She left without me. Ha!

20. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Odd numbered Star Trek movies with the original crew are never good.

The first one is OK, but long and boring.

Star Trek II is the best film of the franchise.

III? No big deal.

IV is the second best film of the series.

V? You couldn't pay me enough to watch that garbage again.

VI is watchable, but I was about done with the whole concept by then.

VII breaks the odd numbered trend, but it has TNG crew, and even then, all the TNG movies pale next to the actual TV show.

Let's face it: There were two really good Star Trek movies, and the rest should probably be avoided.

The reboot? C'mon, man. I can only take so much.