Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Updated 2x10 Shootout!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Nov 4, 2005.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Okay, some time back, I did a little shootout among the 2x10’s that I had on hand at the time. Since then, I have acquired a few more, and I figured that it was time for an update. The cabs involved this time around are as follows:

Accugroove Tri 210L (600w, 4 ohm, 39 Hz to 18 kHz, 103 db, 57 lbs, 21.25” x 24.75” x 18.25”)

Acme Low B-2II (350w, 4 ohm, 41 Hz to 22 kHz, 93 db, 50 lbs, 23” x 15.75” x 16.5”)

Bergantino HT210 (500w, 8 ohm, 36 Hz to 18 kHz, 100 db, 64 lbs, 18” x 22.75” x 18”)

Dr. Bass Custom 2x10 (specs unknown – I’ll take some measurements later)

EA CxL-210 (600w, 8 ohm, 42 Hz to 14 kHz, 102 db, @ 80 lbs, 22.5” x 17” x 15”)

EA NL-210 (500w, 8 ohm, 45 Hz to 16 kHz, 100 db, 43 lbs, 22.5” x 17” x 15”)

EA VL-210 (500w, 8 ohm, 38 Hz to 15 kHz, 95 db, 70 lbs, 23.125” x 19.5” x 16”)

Glockenklang Duo Wedge [German model] (400w, 8 ohm, 40 Hz to 18 kHz, 100 db, 53 lbs, 15.4” x 22.8” x 18”)

Here's the lineup shot:

[​IMG]

First off, let me say that I think that all of these cabs are very good (or else I wouldn’t have bought them!), and that personal preference will definitely be the deciding factor as to which one is “best” for a given person. My “testing equipment” included my Skjold Custom 5 (which is the instrument that I am the most familiar with right now, and a very clear, yet full-sounding, instrument), into a line driver (with variable high pass filter) built by Jim Bergantino, into a Crest CA9. The little line driver from Jim is deceptively simple, but it is the most clear, pure, uncolored and 3D sounding device I have at my disposal. Basically straight wire with gain (and a variable high pass filter, which I left turned off). Here’s a shot of the Bergantino line driver, if’n you’re interested:

[​IMG]
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o =""></o>
    I’m going to present these “results” much like I did my “Mini Cab Combo Shootout”, and try to have a little fun with a “guessing game.” For anyone trying to “cheat” off of my prior 2x10 shootout, let me say that my results this time around are somewhat different, and the prior results may not necessarily tip you off as to which cab is which this time around. Also, all cabs were tested in the vertical position, with the tweeters on the high side (if applicable). So, are you ready? Here we go:
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->
    Cab A<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> – This cab was one of a few that could take all that one side of the CA9 could dish out (with the line driver cranked up all the way). In fact, this cab had no signs of breakup at all, even at the highest volumes I could push. The overall tone is slightly dark, with a deep tight low end – although the lows to low mids were not as full, overall, as some of the other cabs. Good clarity on the whole, with fairly smooth highs. Midrange was nicely present, but again a little dark.<!--[endif]--><o =""></o>

Cab B<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> – Very deep and very full sounding. Also a very clear cab, but with less mids than some of the other cabs, and brighter highs than Cab A. I’d say that it is slightly mid scooped, though not perhaps compared to other cabs not in this shootout. This cab was louder than I expected, but it couldn’t take all that the CA9 could put out without showing signs of stress.<!--[endif]--><o =""></o>

Cab C<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> – This cab was one of the standouts, and in fact exceeded my expectations (which were actually high to start with). It was as big, deep and full as Cab B in the lows, but with even more crisp high end (compared to Cab B). Midrange clarity was exceptional, with a very quick, very articulate tone and tons of attack. Could not handle full power from CA9 without signs of stress.<o =""></o>

Cab D<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> – This cab had probably the most cutting, bright, and clear tone. The midrange response was similar to Cab C, but not as full, especially in the lows. Very, very quick (slightly more so than Cab C), but somewhat thin sounding compared to B and C. Not as dark sounding as A, but with some definite similarities to A, on the whole.<!--[endif]--><o =""></o>

Cab E<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> – This cab had a similar tonal range to C, but was not as polished. It was not as clear/precise as the best in this group, but had good articulation. There was a hint of vintage warmth to the mids. The high end sounded a bit boxy compared to the best in this group, but would probably be praiseworthy outside of a direct comparison to this particular competition. Not quite as full sounding as B and C, though very close. This cab was the punchiest of the group, and also took all that the CA9 could offer.<o =""></o>

Cab F<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> – This cab was very similar to C, and I was quite surprised by that. Also a true standaout. Most of the comments for C also apply, but it was a bit tighter in the lows (with C being a bit more warm). The mids were a bit more solid sounding, whereas the mids from cab C were a bit more cutting. This cab really sounds like a “bass” cab, but still remains very dynamic, punchy, full and clear at the same time, and fast, yet with a sense of weight and gravitas. This cab also didn’t quite handle all the CA9 could put out.<o =""></o>

Cab G<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> – This extremely impressive cab sounds like a cross between C and F (which were very close to begin with). It was not quite as big sounding as either C or F, but was very close in this regard. Great articulation, clarity and precision without sounding at all harsh. This cab could take all the CA9 put out without stressing. Again, a standout cab among a very good group.<o =""></o>

Cab H<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> – This cab shared some similarities with C, especially in the lows, but was even more full sounding and had the warmest tone, overall, of the group. Even the high notes maintained a certain thickness to them. This cab was not as clear, punchy or dynamic through the mids as some of the rest, but it moved the most air. Handled most of what the CA9 could put out, but not quite all.<o =""></o>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> Again, these are all very good, very impressive cabs. If I had to pick any “winners”, based upon sonic performance alone, I would have to say that C, F, and G made me sit back and say “day-um!” more than the others. However, I could easily see any of these cabs being someone else’s favorite based upon variations in personal preference. Also, I could gig quite happily with any of these (and in fact, I have gigged with most of them – the Glock being a very recent acquisition – which I hope to break in tomorrow night!).<o =""></o>

Let the guessing begin! The first person who posts to this thread and correctly identifies all of the cabs will get at least one, and possibly two, Gingley JoH CDs (whether you want it or not!). I warn you though, the CD I plan on sending is an old one, and it sounds like it! :D

Tom.

2. I'm probably way off, but here's my guess:

A- Accugroove
    B- Berg
    C- EA VL
    D- EA CXL
    E- Dr. Bass
    F- Acme
    G- Glock
    H- EA NL

Sean

3. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    :D man, that IS a sight to behold!! :hyper:

i won't take a guess on which cba is which...i just like to watch...

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    2/8

5. Yikes. Ok, how about now:

EA VL
    Berg
    Acme
    EA NL
    Dr. Bass
    Glock
    EA CXL
    Accugroove

(Probably still 2 out of 8.)

6. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Dude !!

You have way to much time on your hands !! :D

I don't even have time to read this entire Thread !!

I will guess based on the marketing I know about these cabs > This is what I could come up with , I don't have much Exp. with the EA cabs so I skipped them . :D

A= Accugroove
    B=acme
    c=DR bass
    d=berg
    E= ? I don't freeakin know what I'm doing !! Ha Ha :D

Pete

7. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    A-CXL
    B-Acme
    C-Berg
    D-Glock
    E-Dr. Bass
    F-NL
    G-VL
    H-Accugroove

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    swweeeet lawdy!

love dem shootouts... yee haw! :hyper:

9. tadrex

tadrex

Mar 25, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Tom, I'm serious. You should open up your basement as a vacation get-away for bass players. Maybe a weekend bed and breakfast. Just think of the revenue it would create!!! You'd have 40,000 TBer's stampeding to Ohio to be first in line.

I guess since it is my idea I should get preferential treatment here and may I say a share in the profits also?!!! Maybe then I could afford to acquire some high end gear myself and open up a second retreat.

TOM, A FRANCHISE!!! THE BBB&B (Bowlus Bass Bed & Breakfast)

Wow, I'm up way to late tonight. Anyway, here's my list of which I have no clue. Can you PM the results? I promise I won't tell. Or do we all have to suffer till someone gets them all right?

PawleeP likes this.
  10. tadrex

tadrex

Mar 25, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Told ya I'm up to late. Forgot to add my list.

A. Accu
    B. EA VL
    C. EA NL
    D. Glock
    E. EA Cxl
    F. Berg
    G. Dr. Bass
    H. Acme

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    3/8 Getting better!

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, let's just say that you are really good a basses (and apparently preamps!), and just leave it at that... ;)

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    3/8

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    2/8

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    One clarifying comment about the "ability to take all that the CA9 had to offer." Keep in mind that these cabs vary in their efficiency ratings, cone excursion, and many other factors. So, just because a given cab did or did not sound "stressed" when pushed as hard as possible by the CA9 (and note, none of them were stressed to the point of potential damage - I could just hear some cabs over-excursing or breaking up a bit), does not mean that a cab that didn't like being driven the hardest wasn't also the loudest of the group, and vice versa. Even a cab that could take all the gain wasn't necessarily the loudest of the group. If you think about it, with all of them being similarly equipped cabs (two 10's and a tweeter, plus a handful of midrange drivers), it's really the less efficient cabs, or the cabs whose cones travel the least (I think this is a seperate issue from efficiency, but I'm not sure) that were the happiest with all the horsepower behind them.

And a hint. The loudest cab in the group was one that "couldn't handle all that the CA9 had to offer." :D

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    One more point. The photo of the prototype line driver shows the variable high pass filter basically cranked all the way up. This photo was taken after testing, and when I was listening to the cabs, I actually had it all the way off. I had played with a bit to see if it could allow certain cabs to take more power without beginning to fart out. It did help some, but for the most part, didn't change any of my "findings."

17. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    A- Acme
    B-Accugroove
    C-EA CXL
    D- Glock
    E- Dr. Bass
    F- Berg
    G- EA VL
    H- EA NL

18. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    LOL ! I know about Schoeders ! :D

I have personally never played through any of those cabs except the acme ( for about five minutes ) and I really liked the acme .

I have always wanted to try the accugroove stuff and I am very interested in that Dr Bass cab .

This should be a educational thread for me . I look forward to seeing the results.

Pete

19. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    that is a hell of a wall of 210's!

Tom, when all is said and done, can you post your favorite SMALL rig (practice and/or small club) and your favorite medium rig (large club with PA support).

I dont know what kind of music you play, and OF COURSE "favorite" is a personal prefernece.

For my questions, assume a decent rock bass (higher end fender/lower - mid level semi custom bass) and mixed classic/pop rock music (drum, rythm guit, lead guit, keys, maybe a percussionist.)

Your gear and experience leaves me stunned.

20. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Sigh, we need to get you some sort of communal effect pedal board. since I've started to ditch my effects when I began to find out how different they sound through different cabs, especially wahs, filters and synths.

but yeah, not even trying to takea stab. but looking forward t othe results.