1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

UPS Ground Rates going UP UP UP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Holdsg, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:06 AM.

1. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I received this email today from the Big Brown Cabal.

As we plan for the future, we’ve made key technology investments in automation, capacity, visibility and delivery solutions this year. Enhancing our operations and improving the unmatched portfolio of services to help you grow your business is our priority. We recognize the importance of planning ahead for both you and your customers, so below is a summary of our 2019 rates*.

The following changes will take effect on December 26, 2018:

• The rates for UPS® Ground, UPS Air and International will increase an average net 4.9%.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting a 5% raise this year.
    The cost of GAS keeps going up.

B-Lo, Remyd, nixdad and 10 others like this.
  2. Hmm... Maybe Amazon could start delivering instruments and amps with larger drones.

3. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Honestly, the only service I use anymore is FedEx. USPS has become laughable in its tracking (not just around the holiday season) and UPS has never been my shipper of choice. I'm cautious of anything that suggests free, two-day, or SmartPost shipping...

4. At least your delivery options are still available. Canada Post has been on strike for about a month already. :spit::rage:

5. Holdsg

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    how can the Post Office be allowed to go on strike in December? amazing.

MCF, TalHaz, iceboxbass and 3 others like this.
  6. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Oct 12, 2006
    Metro Motown
    The Truth Is Out There
    Canada Post is privatized. So like Fedex & UPS and many other national carriers they are not mandated to perform.
    The U.S. Postal Service, is one of the few true 'services' left that are not allowed to strike.
    Even the venerable Royal Mail, in the U.K. has been privatized.
    One of the arguments for privatization has been that the service delivery standards will improve- this has not been the case with any national service that has been privatized, case in point Canada Post.

And as much as folks slag on the USPS, as usual Americans just don't realize how good they've got it.

Another note is that the USPS is a 'quasi'-governmental agency, in that they receive no tax dollars to operate. All their operating expenses are funded by the postage fees they charge. So in that regard they are just like all the other private carriers- except the USPS is not allowed to shut down or go on strike, that's where the 'quasi' part comes into play.

7. Holdsg

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    remarkable history and economics lesson from Mr. Fab today. thanks for that!

8. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    USPS is awesome (most of the time anyway).

9. Holdsg

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    With UPS prices going up, can Fedex hikes be that far behind?

iceboxbass and Bunk McNulty like this.
  10. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I've said it before...I think the general public is footing the bill for all the "free" Amazon Prime shipping. If they are investing in automation and productivity, shouldn't rates be going down?

11. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    I just looked it up.

Canada Post is "Crown Corporation". "Crown corporations are wholly owned federal or provincial organizations structured like private or independent companies."

In no way is Canada Post privatized by any rational definition of that word. In fact the Canadian parliament(?) stayed in session over the weekend recently to debate and vote on mandating Canada Post go back to work. That obviously wouldn't happen if it were a private corporation.

Also the strikes have been rotating, not an actual full-scale strike. Mail has still been delivered daily, just more slowly for the most part.

The pay and benefits are amazing for what they do. Bottom line, they have a massive sense of entitlement just like all government employees and they're trying to hold the country hostage to get even more. Nothing new.

TolerancEJ, nshuman, flewis and 3 others like this.
  12. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Interestingly, Reverb is not using Fedex this holiday season because of their price hikes. I am sure its coming too. My wife's cousin is a carrier and says the past few years demand has increased %20 annually and they're not sure how to keep up without massive costs for expansion.

Holdsg likes this.
  13. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    always USPS. Always.

MonetBass, pacojas, Alembic83 and 5 others like this.
  14. JES

JES Supporting Member

To be clear, they are striking to maintain their benefits, not asking for a bunch of extra stuff. And my mail service has been fine. Maybe a day slower. Neither looks like entitled behaviour to me. Where do we get the idea that working people should just accept their jobs getting a little worse every year? Why should mail delivery be a crap job?

Next thing we’ll hear that time off and weekends are entitlements workers shouldn’t have.

15. UPS rates go up about 5 or 5-1/2 percent each year. Fedex will follow. This is certainly nothing new or unexpected.

16. Holdsg

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Ok. Just seems high to me.

17. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Puts a new spin on the FlyRig, I must say.

18. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Between the income and payroll tax cuts, politics aside, this is a good year money-wise.

As for UPS, what I read between those lines is they are investing in getting rid of the jobs their part-timers have been on waiting lists for years to get into, with no consideration of merit - first-come, first-served.

Polk Salad and Holdsg like this.
  19. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

It wasn't that long ago you could ship a bass coast to coast for $65, it's twice that now.

bass10bfb and Kukulkan61 like this.
  20. You have that right!!!!!!!!!!

flewis likes this.