1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urgent: TalkBass Mobile App Terminating

Discussion in 'TalkBass Mobile App Support' started by paul, Nov 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    We just got a notice from our mobile app developer that he's pulling the plug on the servers the app needs to operate. The TB app may work for a few more days, then it will be non-operational.

We will look for a replacement, and also we will work on making a new style that's even more mobile-friendly in your mobile browser.

Thanks for your patience, and I'm sorry about this unfortunate development :(

UPDATE: You can now get push notifications on all your mobile devices (iOS, Android, Apple Watch), and desktop browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari) with the Pushover App (or Pushover browser extension). Download the Pushover app, then go to your Connected Accounts page to set up :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I honestly always thought the site was very well developed for mobile usage without the need for an app. But that's just one mans view :)

G-Z, BaRaN, thebassguy86 and 124 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Me too. I always use the "DARK" option in Chrome on my Galaxy S8 and it works like a champ.

Good luck getting it all worked out though @paul .

G-Z, EoganDubh, Oddly and 20 others like this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i've never tried TB on my phone before, but i just did. it seems to work very well in my S7 using chrome.

G-Z, Stewthebassman, Saetia and 2 others like this.
  5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    For the record, iPhone7 with Safari.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    rockinrayduke, RedJag, fhm555 and 5 others like this.
  6. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    :cool:

7. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I only use my mobile for going online

zon6c-f and Caca de Kick like this.
  8. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    +1 on that. Apps will always have limited functionality, because we have like 50+ add-ons that bring custom functionality to our website. To keep an app updated with all that functionality would cost tens of thousands of $$'s. The latest app was just a "wrapper" that put a browser rendering of TB inside a mobile app box.

I will work on a push notification service for our website so you can get push alerts on mobile without an app.

9. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My apparently ancient Galaxy S6 with the built-in browser works like a champ!

10. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    I agree. I tried the app but quickly found that the mobile-browser version of the site offers a better experience.

Alik, AB Nate, RustyFPV and 11 others like this.
  11. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    My Dinosaur iPhone 5S works fine.

PsyDocHill, gerry grable and ERIC31 like this.
  12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I used to use the first mobile app but since then have found it just as easy to use a browser. At least for viewing. Posting from a small phone isn’t easy.

Tbone76, asands and Will_White like this.
  13. I also always go to the .com through Google Chrome when using mobile devices and it works great.
    Never care to load up apps for anything that can just go the regular site.

14. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Glad to hear the site works well for people on mobile; I just recently switched from Android to IOS and have only been doing TB on the mobile app since then (when not on my laptop). The app was alright, but I'll try it in browser now too.

Rumbledore likes this.
  15. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Since it’s a wrapper for the site, it’s unfortunate it even needs a special server at all. There are services for app notifications.

paul likes this.
  16. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

IMO no need for a mobile app. Your browser-based UI is just fine... In general, too much of app development is the result of a "me too" attitude rather than a need.

17. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Happy to hear the site is working well in mobile browsers. And sorry about the mass system alert about this, but it was the only way to get a mobile push alert sent to the 600-or-so users who have our app installed. :banghead:

18. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Amen. Will get one set up soon for push notifications.

19. elkkid2

elkkid2 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Rio Vista, Ca
    Thanks for all the great things you do for us Bass Players!

20. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Dang! This makes me sad. I LOVE the app. Hope there is a replacement soon. Thanks for the heads up.

Loring likes this.