1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Velvet strings megathread part III

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dudie, Apr 21, 2010.

1. doberman

doberman

Sep 16, 2009
    Maryland
    These are the next strings I'm going to try, but it may be a minute before i order them. i'd like to hear some thoughts if anyone has tried them out

2. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi all.

Long time without posting... A lot have changed since my last post...

I was mainly a electric bass player and I am now fully committed with the doublebass.

What brought me here … I would like to know if someone has experience playing with the “new” velvet blue strings? Any advice or insight (e.g., “stay away from it”, …)?

Thank you all.
    Due to talkbass I can look like a fool when playing, but at least I know my way around bass gear … ;)

Regards.

3. The new Velvet strings megathread part III seems to have been closed a little prematurely... :confused: Francois, feel free to merge this into the original if it can be reopened...

Anyhoo, I just wanted to compliment & thank Nuno at Velvet Strings for his very excellent :hyper: service in providing me with a replacement D & G string to replace my buzzy ones. Having bought mine second hand, I certainly wasn't expecting him to make such a nice & unwarranted gesture. Haven't yet put them on as I'm waiting on a new bridge to arrive first from Gollihur, but I'll report back when I do.

Incidentally, Nuno, my apologies for the minor delay in posting this; I've just started a new job so have been a bit distracted with that. I'm also yet to pop that CD in the post for you, hopefully will remember to do that tomorrow...

4. Oops, my bad!
    Thread reopened!

Sorry,
    François

5. ethnotime

ethnotime

Sep 24, 2006
    New York, NY
    How do velvet garbos respond to slapping?

6. bwanicur

bwanicur

Mar 16, 2009
    Hi Everyone

Sorry if I have missed this in the massive Velvet String threads, but I am wondering if people have had the same experience with G-String wrapping:

After installing and tightening / playing the my new Anima G and D strings (I use Obligatos on the E and A), I noticed that the G-String metal wrapping seems to separating a bit. I believe this metal wrapping is coated by another nylon-like wrapping. I can still slide my fingers over the G-String without any problems, it just looks strange. I'm wondering if this is a sign of a faulty string. The metal wrapping on the D-String looks normal (no spaces in between the wrap's spirals).

I do not think I have a good enough digital camera to capture this this detail.

Cheers

Ben

7. I have been using Anima G,D and A since the summer and am quite happy with them. My E is a Spiro Mittel which sounds good with the Animas despite the difference in tension.
    I am wondering about taking the plunge and replacing the Mittel E with the Anima E.
    Anyone done that? Is there a big difference in the response between the Mittel E and the Anima E? Does the equal tension of the E with the rest of the Anima's improve the response of the complete set?
    Thanks.

8. Troy Robey

Troy Robey

Jun 29, 2008
    Denver, CO
    To Ben...

... the Anima G is wrapped differently than the other three in the set. You are correct, there are tiny spaces of a nylon-like material in between the copper wrapping. In my experience with Animas the G string is the first to wear out and the copper starts to unravel. Velvet replaced one for me when this started happening within the first couple months of use. The others have lasted a good year though.

9. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    This is the normal looks of Anima G-string. I´ve been playing many years with Anima and they last very well. After two years with my latest set the A broke and I changed the other strings as well as they became a bit "dull". Exept the G-string which is still on and sounding great!
    On my bass the G Animas retain their sound better than the other strings. Great strings!

10. Hey Everybody,

I just switched to a full set of Velvet Blues from Spiro Mittels with an Olive G. It took me a few days to get used to the low tension, but I'm starting to really love the feel and sound of the Velvets. Sound great pizz and bowed, and are really easy on both the left and right hands (minus turning my fingers slightly green).

I play an extended E (low C extension) and the E is something I can't quite get used to yet. It is really low tension, and a little more difficult to bow. I'd really like to use the full set of Blues...is this something that might change over time, or should I be searching for a new E string? A friend of mine said Helias had the same problem when he switched to Blues and they had a higher tension E string that he could use. I know the Velvet guys are around this thread, and have only heard amazing things about their customer service. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Adam.

11. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND

you have p.m.

12. I use Garbos on the E and A, and guts on G and D. The Garbos slap just fine, and are a good match for the guts as far as volume and feel goes.

13. I've been using Animas on my bass for a few months now and the pizz tone is great. However I still can't get a tone I like out of the G under the bow. The E, A, and D are fine. I'm thinking I'll try a Compas 180 G and keep the Animas for the rest. For anyone tried this, how well balanced tonally is this combination? Both bowed and pizz.

On that note, given that the regular Compas strings are slightly higher tension than Animas and the Suit set are slightly lower, which would you use? Personally I'd probably lean towards the suit G to match my Animas. But if I where buying a full set I'd go for a regular tension. Which introduces a dilemma should I decide to switch to all Compas after getting just a G.

Anyway your opinions please.

14. jmmcc

jmmcc

Apr 21, 2006
    London UK
    Hi, I love the Blue set, they're on my bass for at least a year now, still great.
    Personally I prefer the Animas but the Blues respond better to bow.
    Don't know if you had any experience with Velvet strings before, some people just can't handle the difference and quit on these strings too soon, I had a couple of friends to wich i had borroed an old set and advised them to let them on bass for at least a month to have a real perception, the strings break down quickly but the bass and your right hand may need more time to (re-)adapt to the low tension, after just a week they both returned the strings to me.:confused:
    They are still frustrated with their sound but refused to try to adapt to the peculiarities of these strings...

Best regards

15. dhm

dhm

Apr 15, 2007
    brooklyn,ny
    Has anybody heard about an unwrapped gut G that's coming out soon?

16. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    Can someone tell me if the Garbo A is still a flat wound string?? I have another Velvet string which looks the same, but the winding is more of a" ground round"flat wind,,it's a bit rougher than the Garbos I have had in the past,,but I know they have had some changes in the strings,,and its been quite a while since I have bought some new,Also wheres the best place to get singles??Kent

17. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

Kent
    Ive been happy dealing with LNR on Velvets. John

18. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    Forgive me what is LNR,??

19. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

LNR Music, Lou Retton is his name. New Hampshire, if I recall. He usually carries the full Velvet line, full sets and singles. John