1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

well i bought the dunlop 105Q...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jjl5590, Sep 17, 2008.

1. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    and I am not impressed. This is my first ever wah wah pedal, so my standards are not exactly high. but my expectations were a lot higher than this pedal. for £100 i expected something more.
    The wah-wah sound is pretty minimal, there isnt a lot of tonal range. good for rock, but not good for funk which is what I play.
    I hate the fact that the pedal returns automatically, so you have to continually press down to keep it active.
    I also REALLY hate its auto-bypass function. it is actually pretty rediculous when playing live or even just jamming. why did they put it like that? if you didnt want to use it, you could just knock a button with your foot like on other pedals. with the auto-off function, it takes a while for it to switch off, and you really dont have any time when playing a quick song or even a slow song. i dont know what they were thinking when they shoved that in there. the pedal also completely changes the sound, as well as adding a wah wah effect. it boosts the lows, and when you let off, the bass seems much quieter than before.

anyway i'm done rambling. I'm sending the pedal back tomorrow and ordering a Morley.

let the flaming begin!

2. What Morley are you ordering??? you might like it EVEN LESS. Look up the reviews in the Ibanez Screaming Demon WD-7

3. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    Im about to order the morley PBA2... I'll check your one out, but i think its intended more for guitar

4. personally i love the 105q its the best wah ive used (i had an old morley - i was told it was a bass wah, but it may not have been) and 2 Snarling Dogs Bawlbuster Bass wahs.

you say about it being too loud and not enuf tonal range, im assuming that you've messed around with the Q and volume controls? they're the key to success. but then again the 105q isnt for everyone. those that dislike the 105Q seem to like the Morley stuff and vice versa.
    I think the auto-off/on function is fantastic, mainly tho because i use the wah with fuzzes, so if i want to switch both off at the same time, i only need to concentrate on turning the fuzz off. otherwise id be tapdancing. i found the toe switch on the Bawlbuster to be too tempramental and had to literally balance on the thing to get it to switch off (and the status LEDs were under your foot, so u couldnt actually see whether it was on or not when using it) but the Bawlbuster looked like the funkiest pedal ever.

Clean i've not really found an immensely strong wah sound with the 105q, but with fuzz it can get pretty mental. i think it could be coz the 105q splits your input signal and only effects your mids/highs (frequencies depending on the Q-control) so essentially you've always got a clean blend with the wah sound.

from what ive read on talkbass, many people consider the 105q to be funkier than the morleys, but hell, each to their own.

hope you enjoy the morley better.

5. i tried my old guitarists Weeping Demon once, and thought it had a cool sound on bass, but it wouldnt make its presence known in a band mix, but then again i was pretty much using his settings so obviously it would suck for bass, loadsa people here seem to love it on bass, and hell i think i saw one on ebay going for like £25 buy-it-now, i think you can choose between auto-off and manual too, its got quite a few other features too.

6. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    You can also switch the delay time off. There is a trimpot inside, and if you turn it (I don't remember which way) you can make it shut off immediately.

I also messed with the pot so the wah travel would go into the highs much quicker and not boost the bass so much.

7. is that on the Weeping demon or the 105q?
    coz thats the one minor criticism i have about the pedal for my usage, when i take my foot off, theres a very very small delay in it switching back to normal tone
    thanks

8. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    The dunlop. I'll take a picture real quick of the trim pot.

9. suh-weet!
    i just noticed it said that in the thread link i just posted too.

also the reviews are pretty much just based on one guys opinions, but he's tried a number of wahs and has a strong basis for comparisson.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Ok, this is the pot to mess with. For the life of me I can not remember which direction, but it's either one way or the other. It's the one located at the bottom of the pedal and not the top. The two on the top control internal voltage.
    P9170838.

11. aw thanks alot joeinsprings, i havent used trimpots before, im assuming its the one labeled 'tp4' and not the screw with the yellow ring around it?

now if i could only find my screwdriver!

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Yep that's the one. The screw holds the board on.

I think I might have used a dime for a screwdriver the day I got it.

13. Internal Voltage? What does that do, exactly?

14. cheers for the heads-up, i sorted it out and now its exactly how i want it :)
    thanks again
    theo

15. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Absolutely no idea. I marked the original settings and messed with them a long time ago, but I could not tell any difference in the tone, so I changed it back. Messing with the pot did a lot more to change the sound.

16. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Why does mine have a red circuit board instead of a green one? And the trimpot on mine is white.

I love the auto-return and switchless features. It's weird for me to use a normal wah pedal now.

17. It's probably just a newer board and different components that do the same thing. My El Grande has a red board and white trim pot.

I DO love that auto-return and switchless.

18. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    super cool Joe!! i might put my 105q back into service as well!!

19. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Newer? Older? Maybe your special? :D