1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are your thoughts on a two 12 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Green Lantern, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    Two 10 cabinet lacks the bottom end I want. In order to spend less money, I am thinking of a two 12 cabinet. That way I would not have to buy either two separate 10 cabinets or 10 cabinet and a 15 cabinet.

What is your opinion?

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I have a GK Neo 212 and am very happy with it.

3. Another identical 210 should give you more, but 212"s are one of my faves. Bergantino for me. GK's supposed to be darn good too. Avatar too.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Or you could buy an Acme 2x10.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Your 210 may well lack bottom, but NOT because it has 2 10's in it. Driver size alone is insignificant, and plays very little part in the frequency response. Simply changing to a 212 will not automatically increase your low end, nor would 15's. Spend some time reading through the many threads in the amps forum to get a better idea how all this stuff works.

6. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    I have a 2 10 combo right now. So I am looking at getting either a 2 12 combo with a new amp Boogie Carbine 6 or Carvin B2000. However the four 10 Carvin cabinet weights about 75 pounds which is the same as the Boogie two 12 cabinet, but cost less than the Boogie. So it looks like I am leaning towards the Carvin four 10 with the B2000. I know there are a lot of things that offer a larger low end for a bass guitar, which starts with the bass itself. However I have played a bass head going through a 2 10, 4 10, and a 15, and they all have their own sound. A good example is shown here on the differences. Mesa/Boogie PowerHouse 1200 Cabinet (1 x 15" + 4 x 10") | Sweetwater.com

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Engineering by sight is always a great way to go.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Man, it's been a while since I read through an advertisement....check this:

" The PowerHouse 1200 features a quartet of 10" speakers arrayed arounda central 15" speaker, giving you an unbeatable combination of thump and detail."

" Thes cabinets also feature an innovative front facing, multi-vent porting system that uses individually tuned triangular ports to enhance each part of the bass spectrum. This goes far beyond the old standard design that has all your tone blowing out of one large porthole!"

And we wonder why he's confused.

9. .
    I'm sure its an awesome cab, but man, that thing weighs 62kg! That's not much less that I weigh!

10. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    If your gigging with a 2x10 and it gives you want you need volume wise.

Then yes you would be more than happy upgrading to a 2x12
    average sensitivity of 12's are higher than 10's so you would most likely even be turning down your volume. And will need to adjust your EQ's from the settings you have gotten use too, from using the 10's.

The only 2x12 cabinet made by a major manufacture i would recommend is the Genz Benz neo212T
    light neo cab, expensive....if you got the scratch buy it, if its out of your budget.....then find a used one.

just seen one here in the classifieds, and even with shipping I think it was a purdy good price.

dont buy a 1x10 and 1x15 for a rig, matching speakers.

11. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    LOL! I almost choked on my Oreo cookie when I read that one! Good one, BurningSkies!

Kinda reminds me of the amp that goes to 11.:D

That Mesa 1200 cab is a great example of a product that looks good to the uninformed, but actually is a very poorly performing cab for a plethora of reasons.

I sure hope Green Lantern heeds Rickenboogie's spot on advice in post #5. Driver diameter means nothing. (I will readily and embarrassingly raise my hand and admit that before I became a TB'er, I was guilty of thinking that driver diameter was directly proportional to low end freq response.) Oh my what I have learned as a TB'er!

If I were shopping for a 2x12 nowadays, I would go with the new Berg HD212 for the win. I know that kind of quality doesn't come cheap, but it would be the last 2x12 ever needed, so rather than go through the costly process of trying a bunch of stuff, I would cry once and call it good. But that's just me.

12. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    THIS.

But also, this.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like good cabs, and I don't like bad cabs. Couldn't give a rat's ass about speaker size.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Well, besides their creative marketing ploys in regards to their Powerhouse 1200 ;) , I really am enjoying my Mesa PH212's.

15. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    My Aguilar 2x12 has proven to be THE perfect solution for my louder gigs. No farting out, no overkill - I love it.

YMMV.

16. I'm running a Powerhouse 412 or an Avatar Neo 212 and I'll swear by both of them.

17. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm another one who has Avatar B212 Neos in his ordnance shed. One will get reasonably loud, while a stack of two will cause things within 20 feet to start thinking about going into disassembly mode. But, Avatar B212s have a midrange suckout between 2500 and 4000 Hz -- a crucial area for bass players who like a balanced tone, and especially for those who play slap bass. Since I'm a country player and don't need to contribute anything much above, say, 1500 Hz, it's a non-issue for me. But it might be for others. So I guess the first question you should answer is what kind of tone you're after.

18. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I would like to have two 1x12's but my wife wont let me.

19. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    I want to check out the Genz Benz and Augilar 2 12 cabinet. Now I have heard the Boogie 2 12 cabinet in a Carbine 6 combo at a store (which is no longer made), and I really liked the fuller bottom end it has over my current set up.

I found though was the Boogie 2 12 cabinet weights like 75 pounds. Well I can get a Carvin four 10 cabinet that weights the same and it's cheaper. So I am like, well do I just go for a 4 10 cabinet?

My situation is most of the time, I will just be playing the amp in my recording studio in my basement. My church has a Fender amp with a 15 and tweeter that goes through the house, so, there is no real need for me to lug an amp to church unless I want to. So part of me is like, well if that's the case, just get a combo amp. I mean I have a Boogie all tube bass amp with 2 10's. Just stick with that. But currently I am not happy with my bass guitar sound either. I want a jazz bass and I am seriously looking at the Carvin SM5000. I am thinking about buying that and see how I like it with my amp. But jazz bass guitars don't have a full low bottom end of my G&L. I have my Boogie amp in Craig's list. If I can sell it for what I am looking for, I will have the money to buy a new bass amp. It's like I have had this setup for over 10 years and I want something fresh. I want more of a solid bass sound and not the warm round sound that I have had for so long. It's not that's it is not a good sound, but it's not what I am looking for. I used to have a 4 10 cabinet with a Boogie 400 +. That was amazing, but I had a 95 pound cabinet and a heavy head. With heading towards 50 years old, I don't want to carry heavy amps anymore.

So the Carvin B2000 with their 75 pound 4 10 would be great to have. Yes it is more than I need, but when you practice, you want to have the sound that moves you and makes you want to play more. I think I would be also happy with the Boogie Carbine 6 combo that has a handle and wheels. But that is pretty heavy too, though I won't be lifting it much up the stairs. Sorry for the rambling, but I just wanted you guys to know my situation better, so you can give me more helpful advise. :rolleyes:

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Light and low and a mostly traditional cab makes me think that you should consider the Genz-Benz uber series 410 and 212.

If you want something that's 2x12, lighter, lower and louder you should check into a fEARful 1212/6. There are a host of great builders out there who either have them on hand or will build for you with your choice of looks.

Often times its worth saving some extra cash and buying a better cab...There's a reason that some cabs cost more than others, and its not just because of the brand name.