What basses should I bring?!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Morris2103, Oct 15, 2016.

1. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    IMHO it's not so much about the Bass, but the sound. I would go with a P or a J bass of some kind usually those are safe bets.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    What he said. Fretless - unless that's all you have, nope. And Squier will get you an eye-roll from the guitar player. Sad fact.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  3. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Bring your Squier.

Also since I am assuming that the bass is strung with rounds, bring a piece of foam you can stick under the strings by the bridge for the songs that sound like they were recorded with well worn flats. That trick will blow minds and get you the gig.

Trust me.

4. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    What basses should I bring?!

Rhetorical question?

5. Yeah.. I restrung the squire with rotos. I do have a bass that is strung with flats, but that never gets used. The 2 fretless ones I have are strungoing with both. Flats on one. And rounds on the other (been advised not to take those haha)

6. Make sure you know whatever songs you are trying out on backwards and forwards--- know them so if they skip the bridge you can fall right in, or rush the drum fills, or change the ending.

That is your main concern. Also, as others have said right or wrong the Squier is risky. Many perceive it as a noob bass (not saying I do, I have gigged with them before with no problems)
    Also- if you play the fretless you will not get the gig unless you only use it on Pearl Jam songs that were played on fretless on the recording.

7. Well stated and good advice. Amazing to me that more musicians (ESPECIALLY those with some age and experience) don't seem to ever get this fact.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    But some do. Fair doesn't matter.

When I was in high school, I always showed up for job interviews in a jacket and tie. Was it overkill? Probably. But I always got the job.

SpazzTheBassist and EdO. like this.
  9. Here's what I would bring:

DSC00748.jpg

10. Brilliant

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  11. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

I would assume he is prepared for a catastrophic event and it would score points with me and my band mates. It would prove he gives a damn.

If OP is worried about sensitive people overthinking it, or jumping to the worst conclusion and assuming he's a pretentious show-off, he can even state that it's simply for backup purposes and leave it cased. Jeez, I hope these musicians aren't that judgmental; not the sign of a band I'd be interested in joining.

I never even go to rehearsals with only one bass. It's not that unusual or uncommon, and hardly a strike against a musician, to bring a backup when practical.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    Lobster11 and EdO. like this.
  12. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    of course, but you could easily wear a nice looking sport jacket and tie from K-Mart to get the job done....as a matter of fact, there may be some situations that if you walked in with an Armani, you may be saying "I really don't need this job" ;)

13. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    My main gigging bass is a 5 string alembic and ive carried that to most of my dep gigs whether ive done rehearsals with the band or just turned up at the gig on show night. Ive never had a problem or attitude from any of the musicians. To be honest none have ever heard of the brand so it hasn't drawn any attention in that way. All have been happy with my sound and my playing which is what i try to achieve all the time. I would Just bring what you i feel comfortable playing and not play anything that distracts them.

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I agree 100%.

And it's why I'm astounded when people are surprised that they didn't get a gig because they brought a Squier to an audition. Even if that kind of snobbery only happened 1 out of 50 times, for me - if I really wanted the gig - I wouldn't risk it. And while there's no way to prove this, or find any accurate statistics, IME there is a lot more prejudice to Squiers than people want to believe. I'd say in just about any band, if it came down to 2 equally qualified musicians where one was playing a Squier and the other pretty much any other bass, the non Squier player would get the gig. And that's not something that people are going to tell others flat out - but they will say it amoungst themselves.

PS. Once you get the gig, play whatever you want. Except the fretless :).

obimark likes this.
  15. Are people prejudiced against Squier because they think it shows a lack of commitment to your art? Or perhaps it indicates you're a cheapskate?

16. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    It has been a while since any one has objected. It used to happen frequently. They'd see six strings and start backing away... :) So happy acceptance is spreading.

Come think of it, I haven't played with any one new in a while... I'll take your advice next time I do Jazzy...just bring my favorite. Thank you sir, for a sage observation!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  17. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I'd bring the Ibanez and have the Squier as a backup. The general concensus around my hometown is- modern bass or classic bass. The guitarists, keybordists, and vocalists don't know much about bass gear, and the ones that do are very brand-centric but can't describe why.

When I get questioned on my gear I usually tell them, I have a bank account full of cash to spend, and this was the best thing available of everything I tried. That usually shuts them down quick. It's also easy to throw out a subtle jab at the truly persistent snobs; no matter what they have ask why they don't play xxxxx brand instead.

EdO. likes this.
  18. Specifically what?

Squier Precision
    Squier Bronco
    Squier Mustang
    Squier Jaguar
    Squier Dimension
    Squier Bass VI
    Squier Bullet
    Squier Telecaster
    Squier HM/HM-V
    Squier MusicMaster
    Squier Katana
    Squier Pro Tone
    Squier MB/MB5

Did I miss any?

Ohhhhh okay, yah. Profile. Jazz...

:laugh:

19. Well.. I got the gig.. used the ibanez.. they liked the sound right off the bat so I stuck with it.

Renaissance, Lobster11, 40Hz and 8 others like this.
  20. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    Congratulations!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021