What basses should I bring?!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Morris2103, Oct 15, 2016.

1. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Congratulations! Good choice on the Ibanez.

To piggyback the concept: Lots of people use and know Fender, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with them, but just like car manufacturers; there's a lot of different brands and models that can get you from A to B reliably. I build classics and go to car shows often. I love the Chevrolet Camaro, but when there's rows of them all with small blocks, dual stripes, and rally wheels it gets old fast. Same when I see 4 or 5 bands a night and all the bassists have Fenders.

2. Tbh.. they were more concerned if I could play or not. They asked which songs I know.. played them first, then they played stuff I didn't know. Guitarist told me the notes and I played to the best of my ability. Obviously I did enough to be kept on. Nobody seemed interested in what gear I was using. The rhythm guitarist asked what I was using at the end, and said I had a really good sound coming from it.

Realised, at the end of the day, it matters not what you use, as long as you can play the damn thing and sound good

Torrente Cro and Manticore like this.
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Take the Squire. Apologize for it and tell them you Am P is in the shop getting a setup. :cool:

4. I know what you mean. Most people buy from local shops, which are full of Fenders. Or someone told them that Fender is the best and that swayed their decision.

I recently bought an Ibanez SR1200 and it's tone easily competes with my more expensive basses!

blubass likes this.
  5. I was in a band and we played Styx "Suite Madame Blue" and I rocked that on the fretless! :)

6. If a band is going to reject you because of what kind of bass you play, rather than how you play, then they are a bunch of douchenozzles that you do not want to play with. "Classic Rock" now encompasses music up to the 90's, which means you have just about every conceivable kind of bass played, so, while I personally wouldn't choose play some super-scooped 18v active beast with steels when doing a Zeppelin song, if that's all I had I'd make it work.

7. That makes me wonder: If you owned an Alembic would a Zep tribute band allow it on stage? (John Paul Jones played one later in Zeppelin's career) Or would they insist on a Fender Jazz?

8. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I've got so many basses that I don't know what to bring... arrgghhh!!! :sour:

It's a classic rock band... yes, I'm gonna bring my fretless and my acoustic, just in case.

9. That's just it... Geddy played a Rick... until he played a Jazz... until he played a Steinberger... until he played a P-bass...until he played a Wahl... until he went back to a Jazz...

10. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    This is why I have a Fender American Precision Bass (tort pickguard lol). If I am asked to fill in or invited to an audition as a bass player, that is my most reliable piece of equipment. I don't have to worry about getting the tone right because it's not complicated - more treble or less treble... that's it. I have a Hipshot drop tuner because I don't like constantly tuning my bass onstage. The only time I would bring another bass is if there are other tunings besides standard and drop D. For that I have a 5 string bass, which is tuned down a half-step. Those are my gigging instruments. If they don't get the job done, I tell the band they can buy me a bass if they're not happy.

I have learned that people ask questions if you don't have a high quality namebrand instrument. Nobody asks questions about an American Fender P. If that's what you have, you can get your foot in the door with a lot of gigs.

If I am being invited to join an original band, I might bring something more unique that complements my personal tastes because I will be contributing my creativity to the band.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021