1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What did you play back when... Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stepswork4me, Apr 19, 2010.

1. We all have those fond, and not so fond, memories of yesteryear. Share with us what bass you played and why you played it. Let's just have a little fun...

I'll go first...

I played this GTX for a few years...
    t0kwee.

It was the coolest looking thing I could afford at 13. It played ok but the sound was as thin as could be.

I then upgraded to this Samick...
    idt5at.

I know :eyebrow: stupid monkey face. I loved this bass. It was a nice player, had a good sound, and the Saturn inlays were just cool to me at 17. What can I say, I was playing Death Metal... :bassist:http://www.myspace.com/MindstorM01 :bassist:

2. I can't remember if it was a Regis or a St George - but it was strung with some oddball oval strings that were flattened in the cross section.

Flat on top and bottom and rounded on the sides.

::: like this only laying down ---> 0

It was powerful - but what did I know in 1961? That was a long time ago.

For some reason I believe it was a five-stringer too. Maybe.

Odd how some things get blurry in my photographic mind.

Must've used cheap film.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    First bass? A '63 Precision.

What do I win?

4. Hello Troll. :smug:

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Nothin' but the truth, Jack!

6. I am Jack's smirking revenge.

7. idt5at.

^ this pic seriously belongs in a "bass face" thread.

8. Lol.... I was just goofin' but you are correct, Sir.

9. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    In '73 I began w/a '73 Kingston. Dual PU (single-coils?) with slanted rectangular poles sticking through wood covers with chrome surrounds. It wore a black (or was it blue?) pg with red pin-stripes laid atop a tobacco burst. It was cool!

After several years, I moved onto ablack n maple Fender J wearing a tuxedo with black dots and strings. That was cool too!

(sigh) I miss them both..

10. Started playing in 67....a red Sekova Hollowbody 4 string. Only mine was the rare Red model.:bassist:

Hendrix, cream, yardbirds, jeff beck.....

Attached Files:

11. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    26242_1428921008229_1388954777_1189.

Some sort ofa Burns Bison copy and a Standel amp. This was about 1977 26242_1428920888226_1388954777_1189.

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    1st singleneck was bicentenial issue 1970's gibson thbundrbird bought new. Clumsy bass with limited good for me sounds. 1st doubleneck which was also first electric guitar was gibson EBO/SG doubleneck. Bass side was the weak side sound qaulikty wise. After that was BC Rich's, Washburns, Guild Pilot, as basses played thru the 80's.

13. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    i had a 4 string yamaha BBN-4 that i beat to death. wish i had never sold it and wish i even had a picture of it. didnt ever get to do a gig with it.

14. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    I started playing in high school in 1987 with a B.C. Rich Warlock and a Gorilla "toy" amp.
    I remember playing "Sweet Child 'O Mine" in the talent show my senior year with that bass.
    However, I spent 99% of my time playing Metallica songs.
    I upgraded to an Aria Pro II SB 2 Elite when I went to college, and got a Randall 60-watt 15" combo amp. It just kept getting better from there...

15. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    My first gigged-with bass was a white 5-sided egg-shaped VOX with the ultra-skinny neck and the built-in fuzz, bass boost and G-tuner effects. I found a pic, it was called the Vox Delta IV. Loved that bass!

Deltav.

My first seriously-gigged bass was an 70's Ibanez Ric copy. Looked pretty good, sounded pretty good, but the sharp top edge of the bound body gave me a damn near permanent red slash mark on my right forearm...
    OUCHHH!!
    I wound up trying to wear a wrist band halfway up my forearm to pad it, but that never really worked. Suffered through most of 1975 to 1977 with it, and it certainly cured me of EVER wanting anything Ric-like again... or ANY bass without a forearm contour.

16. My second bass was an Aria 1931. It's the blonde one.

1931-1980_1x1. 1931-1980_1x2.
    1931-1980_2x1. 1931-1980_2x2.

It was actually very nice, and rather collectible these days, but I had no idea about that at the time. I traded it for a POS Washburn strat copy when, during my teenage years, I realized that I could play lead guitar better than anybody else in my high school. This was like 1995-ish.

My very first bass was some horrible P-bass copy that was refinished in pink/black speckle paint.

17. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    My first bass was a Kay short scale P bass. It wasn't very nice. I moved on to an Epiphone P/j with a P style body.

18. ...........

19. All the pics are too cool. Thanks for posting.

20. Circa 1978.

View attachment 164740

Not my first rig, but definitely my loudest! A '70s Ibanez Ric copy, Sunn Coliseum head and (2) 118RH Sunn cabs. My other bass at the time was a '60s Fender P. Sorry for the poor photo quality - it's a Polaroid...