1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you always forget to bring to a gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dartagnan, Nov 12, 2020.

1. dartagnan

dartagnan

Sep 8, 2011
    Central Texas
    I have a gig tomorrow night - first one since before the quarantine - and I am CERTAIN I'm going to forget something. It's usually the band's tip bucket, but I'm digging that out right now and putting it in my car.

What do you usually forget to bring?

2. BossOnBass

BossOnBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Nothing. I use a checklist to ensure I have everything. I even bring extra cables and stuff cuz I know at least one other band member will forget something.

3. TheDirtyLowDown

TheDirtyLowDown

Mar 8, 2014
    A clean towel... so I'm forced to perpetually reuse the dirty one that lives in the dank recesses of my gig bag.

4. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    My Wife.

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

One time it was the drummer, another time it was my enthusiasm, but besides that, no problems.

droo46, MustangWally, Amano and 14 others like this.
  6. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Been great for about thirty years - then a month ago I forgot my pedalboard (had to plug bass straight into the desk). Then for a sub gig a couple of weeks ago I left the house without my bass - was only about 10mins away from home when I realised so turned around and went back and got it - but, seriously??!! I’m a bass player, going to play bass on a sub gig - you’d think I’d know that taking a bass is kinda a prerequisite - sheesh!

7. Ear plugs.
    After damaging my left ear ( the side the drummer is on usually ) I prefer not to play without them.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Very rare I forget something but I have forgotten a guitar stand so I end up leaning my bass against my rig hoping it won't fall!

droo46, Zbass82, bumperbass and 6 others like this.
  9. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I forgot to bring a guitarist one time.
    Best. Gig. Ever.

:D

aus_bass, MustangWally, dSay and 20 others like this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Gum. Extra Polar Ice. In my 35 years of doing this, I have started two gigs a few minutes late because I had to run get the proper chewing gum. I can't sing without it. My mouth gets very dry on stage (no matter how much I hydrate before the gig).

11. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    I've gotten a couple miles from home before realizing I'd forgotten my bass.

12. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    Nothing, especially now as I live 4 hours away from my band. Just like Santa...I'm making a list and checking it twice. Seriously, since I don't use an amp anymore it's been much easier.

SteveFromBerlin likes this.
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    What I always forget: Common sense.

JimK, MrLenny1, Loring and 7 others like this.
  14. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Almost always forget to check for extra batteries for the wireless pack.

on the other end, when finishing up and getting off stage for the other band to setup after us, I have admittedly forgotten my pick holder on MANY occasions as it’s the venues mic stand and there’s only a 25-30 minute turnover.

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Any semblance of talent...and folding cash.

Riis

16. I usually forget to bring the note sheets. But only the hardest pieces, which I was practising at home and hence forgot them on the stand.

Sometimes I forget the strap of course. This doesn't trouble me on double bass gigs. On these, I tend to forget the bow; but this is more intentional than not and clearly proves my high humanity standards.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: I was often forgetting to bring a stomp box or two, which I solved by pedalboard, and later, much more satisfactory, with not using more than one pedal at a time.

I underdstand that compared to trumpet players forgetting their mouthpieces, or drummers forgetting their sticks, my problems are really mediocre.

17. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Picks. Yes, I use them on a few songs. Fortunately, there are always two guitarists I can borrow from.:D

EddiePlaysBass and Pdaddy1978 like this.
  18. If you usually forget something, you need to change your mode of operation and find a way to remember ;)

I always run a mental check list before I set off, and double check when in doubt. Other people may need a written check list.
    Once, years ago, I was storing the snare and cymbals for our drummer but when packing I only remembered the cymbals. Gig was 4 hours away. We found out when setting up. Oh, that was fun!
    Fortunately, sound guy knew someone at the bar downstairs was a drummer. He kindly offered his snare, but we needed to drive him to get it. It was awesome, he was staying right at Loch Ness, he had this little cabin kind of thing (he was working there doing some conservation work) and he'd set up his drums on a small pier facing the water and just practice there. So at least that was nice. But it took us just over an hour for the round trip and it was pretty stressful.
    That's the day I started doing check lists. If it's just my stuff, mental is enough. If I have to take care of unusual items or other people's stuff, written.

SteveFromBerlin and Rip Van Dan like this.
  19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    A sense of patience.

Loring and EddiePlaysBass like this.
  20. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Years ago it was a new stick of Wrigley's Cinnamon to start every set. That eventually lead to jaw issues, & dat was dat.

SteveFromBerlin and two fingers like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021