1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you call this style of strap (pictured)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Mar 31, 2011.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I have become really sensitive to the weight of the bass on my left shoulder. Doesn't matter what bass I use, and I have some light ones.

This style strap pictured below is the only one I find comfortable but I cannot find them anywhere to purchase. They used to be a dome a dozen in the music store.

This strap is the kind that is wide with leather ends and the strap part in the middle is just a woven fabric. This is not a weave on top of a cheap thin nylon strap-- it is ONLY the fabric so it is light, malleable and breathes well.

Does anyone know if there is a name for this type of strap? Better yet, does anyone know where I can buy them? I am down to this one from my old stock and it is getting old.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Cloth?

3. type Black Diamond Guitar Strap into the search engine of your choice..
    I used google and got numerous options.........

4. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Close but still not getting me to them on the web. This is a frustrating little mystery...

5. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    None of them are the specific strap that dude is looking for.

6. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Wow those straps are $125 and handmade! The one pictured was like $15 at the local music store.

7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
  8. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
  9. Well, the price is right anyway. ;)

10. Are you giving away a prize to the person who guesses it?

11. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Yes. My eternal gratitude!

These used to be so common and now I cannot find them anywhere. I get pinched nerves using most other straps.

12. What's the story on these straps? Are they some sort of stretch fabric?

13. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    No, just a woven fabric so they are soft, light, they breathe and they conform to the shape of our shoulder.

14. McCollumJ

McCollumJ

Jun 9, 2009
    Galveston Texas
    Retired CEO, Analog Systems
    Did you ever find a "Black Diamond Guitar Strap"?
    I used those in the past and they work perfect. Let me know if you find them. Is there a "Black Diamond Guitar Strap Company"?

Later,
    John McCollum

15. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Never found them. I suspect like many older accessories brands they vanished. But what is more puzzling is that I just never see these straps anymore. They are far and away the most comfortable to me.

16. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you need a cloth strap instead of nylon, go to Etsy.com and search "Vegan guitar strap." There's a lady that makes straps out of regular cotton fabrics or hemp. And they just so happen to not have leather ends.

17. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Anyone else know where to find these types of straps? I saw that Martin makes them but that is about all I can find.

18. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021