1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this bass worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MP87, Jan 21, 2013.

1. MP87

MP87

Mar 12, 2012
    Canada
    What do you experienced guys think this bass is really worth? It was posted on my local kijiji (similar to Craigslist). I understand you haven't played it...

Here is the info from the ad.
    "It is made from the best parts available by a professional Luthier and was originally appraised at $3000 when new . The guitar has some buckle rash, but it is only on the back and not visible when being played. Neck is straight and its ready to go. Hardcase cover will be included in the sale, it has some marks on it, but works fine.
    I will be in Calgary with this beauty in 2 weeks and i need some cash for another purchase so it won't be coming home, so someone might get a deal of a lifetime! May also consider trades.
    The Bass has the following features:

Flame maple top with an alder back
    Nitro finish
    Maple warmoth neck
    Gotoh reverse nickel tuners
    Gotoh bridge
    DiMarzio pickups
    CTS pots wired volume blend tone
    Fully shielded cavity and pick guard
    Fender neck plate + pickup cover"

Link to kijiji ad:
    http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...-Bass-Guitar-One-of-a-Kind-W0QQAdIdZ449768558

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Just looks like a warmoth build... I doubt the $3000 luthier story.
    Probably a great bass but without documentation, my gut says $600-800 maybe. But in this case I'd definitely want to play it first and check it very thoroughly. Ultimately it would come down to how it plays and sounds to me

3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    $300 bucks sounds fair to me

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    $3000.00 wow I agree no more than $350.00 since he doesn't want to take it back home you should be able to get a deal.

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

$3k is a joke. It may be worth $500, but as you will likely have to meet the guy in a gas station parking lot with no ability to check if it even works.... I would pay $300-350 as it has a really cool body.

$400 with the formal appraisal.;)

7. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I'd wager whoever built it has about $800 ~ $900 into it, and is hoping to get as much of that back as he can. Good for him. But, when you go the parts route, if you don't understand you'll never get most of your money back, you've made a big mistake. I'm not dissing the parts basses. I have built a few. They can be every bit the quality of the USA Fender, if not better with a proper set up. But the realities of the market rules, and no name basses don't fetch top dollar. If it's a great player and a great looker? $500. $600 if you absolutely fall in love with it. But, you'll never get that back out of it.

8. Rumbledom

Rumbledom Inactive

Jan 19, 2013
    It's funny -- people think that a "custom built" bass has more value but it actually has less. It's custom built to what somebody else wanted so what's the appeal? I've owned custom built and boutique basses and honestly believe NO bass is worth 3K. But that's me.

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    $500-$750 depend on how well it was put together and so on, $3000 is a joke.

10. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    A trusted seller here on talkbass would have trouble getting $500-$600 for this obvious amateur build. Looks like a nice enough job but a luthier fetching $3,000 for this kind of bass would probably have customized the headstock and at least made sure to line up the pots with the pick guard.

11. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Having viewed the picture, I'm revising my appraisal to $350

12. MP87

MP87

Mar 12, 2012
    Canada
    Thanks for the input. Not sure that I will jump on this one. The $3000 claim really threw me.

13. ruiomichlet

ruiomichlet

Jan 21, 2013
    I'd definitely want to play it first and check it very thoroughly[​IMG]

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021