1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Level Bass Player Are You?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dtripoli, May 24, 2017.

1. Newbie - Dude, I'm just starting out, don't rush me!

1.3%
  2. Novice - Hey Bro, I just learned 'Seven Nation Army' and 'Smoke on the Water', I'm ready to gig

6.1%
  3. Amateur - Weekend Warrior, Garage Band, 50 songs under your belt, play out once a month

16.2%
  4. Hobbyist - Play at home and with other musicians, surprised if you happen to play out and get paid

26.3%
  5. Semi-Pro - Can play most genres, have regular gigs, make money playing but not for a living

40.4%
  6. Pro - Music is your income, you play with or have played with famous people

8.3%
  7. Bass God - "I am Spartacus"

2.6%
  8. Wanker, Noodler, Hack - Yes I play, what's it to you? so, STFU

7.5%
  9. Anonymous - I don't answer poll question or reveal my personal information on the Internet

3.9%
  10. Celebrity Musician - I not really a musician but I play one on TV

0.4%
  11. Retired, but still playing! and having a lot of fun!

0.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Just for the record, I'm anonymous, I never answer poll questions.

2. Smoke on the Water is not that easy :(

3. Yeah, most people play it wrong...

4. It is easy when you're a novice.
    It's after you realize you've been playing it wrong for a number of years that you graduate out of the Novice category.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Low level.

6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I'm not level at all. I don't think I ever have been.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Semi-pro status, I suppose. I gig about 4x/month and get paid. It covers a decent chunk of my mortgage, but it's not my main source of income.

BBQisgood likes this.
  8. I voted Hobbyist, but I'm somewhere between hobbyist and semi-pro.

happycat, RaggaDruida and BBQisgood like this.
  9. Right about ear level.

10. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I've been at it long enough that I've come back full circle.....less interested in technique and more in space, perfect note choices, getting the right tone, etc. "The beautiful simplicity of a perfect sphere" type of an approach.

btmpancake and dtripoli like this.
  11. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I'm better than "amateur - weekend warrior" but not quite as good as "semi-pro". I know a few hundred songs, can change keys on the fly, and can learn 20 songs in a day if I have to, but am nowhere near semi-pro level.

pwhalen likes this.
  12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Semi-pro. Have been a fulltime pro in the past.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  13. On a scale of 1-10, probably 7.

14. HA HA you know i always used to be dumb in my inepitude! I would actually start realizing i was playing songs wrong and get discouraged. :( It's a sad realization when you think of all the hours practicing things wrong...
    I havent touched my bass in a year now. Just being a front man. But i would -if the right conditions came together.
    Interesting poll though

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. gbrooding

gbrooding

Dec 22, 2011

16. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    Former Pro, walked away for the most part for about 10 years, now semi-pro and gaining!

17. I guess I'm ahead of the curve then, because I figured out early on that SotW had a groovy bassline, but I thought it was entirely too much work :roflmao:
    (at least it is in comparison to the guitar track)

I'll never be above a home hobbyist, but I could never get my head around the term "bedroom player", because I have never once played bass or guitar in by bedroom. I do stash the cases for by basses & guitar under my bed though.

RaggaDruida and Jimmy4string like this.
  18. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    I play a handful of electric bass gigs each month with an original rock band. (On 5 string and fretless 4.)
    I play a handful of double bass gigs each month with a couple of different bluegrass bands.
    I play a handful of bluegrass gigs each month as a mandolin picker or flatpicker.

I know a ton of songs, song forms and useful music theory - but I lack elevated soloing skills.
    I can slap electric and upright but I tend not integrate that skill into my solos.

After all is said and done, I feel confident enough in my skills and the role is to mine the groove and be steady.
    That's what I do!

gypsyfelon likes this.
  19. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Ive been an originals guy for my entire playing career.
    One band is fun with occasional gigs minus the winter months.
    Other band makes decent money and plays out alot which is rare these days.
    But now Im also in the loop that people know of me and ask me to do fill in work alot and that has paid very well at times.
    Came close in my younger days to becoming something better but it always crashed and burned.

gypsyfelon likes this.
  20. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I'm fairly level-headed.