1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What'd you need to make a party bump?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Hey, I guess this is kinda off topic-ish, but I figure you guys would have some good advice about this. For making a house party with maybe 200-300 people bump, what kind of system would you need? To clarify, this isn't for live music, it would be recordings.

I was thinking of getting a power amp with about 1000-2000 watts, a simple mixer, then would one 15 inch sub with maybe two 15 inch PA on stands be enough? Also, would a crossover be needed, or is there an easy way to take care of that by buying a mixer or power amp with that capability?

It would be played in a boxy, basement with wood walls, so I'm thinking the place would be an acoustic nightmare, but it would be really easy to make the whole place loud.

So what do you guys think? Is my reasoning relatively on course?

2. konodl18

konodl18

Jun 6, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I don't think one 15" is going to give the thump you are looking for with 200-300 people. if you are looking for a reall night club type dance music with thumping lows that can be felt, at least a pair of good subs will be necessary, and probably 18". I would say you want a pair of 12" or 15" tops and a pair of 18" subs.

To power the tops you will not need a monstrous power amp but to power a pair of good 18" or even 15" subs you will want a bigger, separate amp, most likely bridged to get the most power out of it. You will definately want an X-over to send the mids and highs to the amp for the tops and the lows to the amp for subs.

So I guess I would say, 2 tops, 2 subs, x-over, medium power amp for the tops and then a high power amp for the subs.

Derek

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    How quickly do you want the authorities to shut you down? A house party with 200-300 wouldn't last long in my neighborhood.

Dual 18" subs with plenty of power - 1000 watts each. Dual 12's should be fine for the tops, maybe 500 watts each. That should get you arrested.

4. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Bump=Subs. 200-300 people=2 2-18" sub boxes @1K watt each minimum. I would go with 4 for better "bump" distribution. But I own 10, so no big. YMMV, but not really :) 1 mid high pack per sub is IMHO pretty standard, but if you only want alot of bump, and just some actual program material 2 might be ok. Bi-amping, or tri-amping will require crossovers.