Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

whats a tweeter for ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderaholic, Oct 23, 2005.

1. fenderaholic

fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    hello

i was wondering what tweeters in bass cabs are for . and how come guitar cabs dont use them. or maybe they do ?

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    High frequencies. Guitar cabs don't usually need them since the speakers are already optimized for hi-freq. I have seen some guitar cabs with tweets though.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    To be more precise tweeters handle the frequency range above 4kHz or so, going up to at least 10kHz. Some bass players, as well as keyboard and amplified acoustic guitar players, like them as they supply harmonic content that woofers won't reproduce. Electric guitars don't use them as the compressed distorted tones of guitars don't sound good with content higher than 5kHz or so.

4. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    The tweeters in my bass cabs are for turning off as quickly as possible... :eek:

5. +1 A tweeter or some sort of high frequency driver is key to many modern bass sounds that many players strive for. Others that like a more traditional tone see no need for them.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Tweeters in bass cabs are for reproducing annoying hiss, crackle, and clank from annoying techniques such as slapping, popping, & tapping.

7. Per my earlier comments.... a better way to say this is would have been...

'I like a more traditional bass sound that doesn't emphasize high treble response. While I respect the many wonderful players and classic bass tones and playing styles that depend on a tweeter, it's just not my thing. However, it might be yours. You should try a variety of cabs with and without tweeters and listen to a variety of different players and playing styles to determine if you need one'

Now.... isn't that better? :bag:

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    No it's not, because I don't like a more traditional bass sound... listen to my clips if you wanna hear what I like.

9. Just listened to a couple of your clips. Well... of course you wouldn't want a tweeter for that type of tone.... just trying to make the point that as much as you personally would hate my tone.... yours is not my thing either. However, the originator of the thread was asking a reasonable question. A good quality tweeter (which, by the way, adds no hiss if you have a good quality bass and amp) is key to my sound and many others.

10. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Wow, ox, a bit of an abrasive response considering he was just looking for info. In a bad mood today dude? No need to mock a large percentage of bass players tones just cause you dont personally like them. I feel comfotable assessing your tone (not playing), based on your clips, as sloppy. Now, did anyone come out and crap on your tone after you posted the clips? no, i think they were quite charitable.

furthermore, clank is from impropper technique, not annoying technique. hiss is an equip quality issue, as could be crackle.

to each his own, but you dont have to be rude about it.

11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    What if I find improper technique annoying?

12. Stay away from me, then. :smug:

13. I'm not necessarily a fan of hi-fi bass tone, but to my ears, a tweeter (with the attenuator properly set) adds a certain sweetness. YMMV.

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hmm... IMO, Steve Harris' tone is very clanky and it works perfect for what he does. Do you think he has improper technique? (Just asking for an opinion... :) )

15. I've been using the tweeter (dialed down to where it's almost off) to put some presence back into my tone when using a Big Muff....

.....don't know if that's what it's for, but it seems to work.

With the Muff off the tweeter tells me when my technique is getting sloppy. ;)

16. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Ox's advice is about as useful as telling a singer that the only way to get the 'right' tone from a microphone is to wrap it it six inches of burlap.

17. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Which of course, we all know is wrong. You are supposed to use 3.5" for men's lower registers and 2.74" for the average woman. Of course tolerances of .5" are used for quality of burlap.

18. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    blown tweets=good door stops, pencil holders, or ?

19. :p :smug:

That deserves two smileys, I thought that was for me the best sarcastic (but true) argument about tweeters!