1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your one true "Forever Bass"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassKing, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    For many years, my single "forever" bass would have been my 2003 Am. Series Jazz with Lindy Fralin Split-Jazz pickups. But I'm afraid that's changed.

If I could only have one, it would have to be a five, which means it would be my G&L USA M-2500. I might prefer a lightweight empress body, and perhaps an L-2500 instead of the M, but the M has been phenomenal and I love it.

BassKing likes this.
  2. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    G&L JB. I actually play my Road Worn P in my band now but this is the one I'd never let go.
    WYlGsFTG8o6LfxGs7Sh8Gx3E27gNyv65Ot4ry_sHymssDPl5KTuioXnjYTF0E2dayzm6LdWigFrOJz8IZA=w1023-h316-no.jpg

3. My avatar. Custom made Fijian Mahogany body by Scott Bremner in Sydney. Allparts neck, Nordstrand Big Splits, Bartolini preamp. No frills, all business. Feels like home.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    My Steinberger XL2. Owned it since we bought it new in 86.
    I'm partial to 5s and 6s, so a close second would be my Ibanez SR706 - this is played most, but the XL2 is special because my late wife and I bought it.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  5. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    20190816_101031.jpg

Easily my first. It was the first instrument I ever bought. With it I learned how to play, set-up, and wire and solder pickups. I spent hours perfecting it, making it my own and wearing through the finish on 3 or 4 spots on the neck naturally. The last time I played it my mother said, "That thing seemed so cheap when you got it," my girlfriend replied with "It sounds really good though," and I added, "The neck just feels like home."

I have other basses that are more expensive or better suited to certain projects, but every time I've needed it's been there. I'll probably be buried with this bass.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    BassmanM, JoshS and BassKing like this.
  6. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Rickenbacker 4001CS

BassKing likes this.
  7. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    1975 Fender Precision, sunburst, maple neck, black pick guard. Bought it in 1983, modded with Fralins & new pots/cap when it got flood damage in 1998; fret job last year, previous owner put Schaller machines on it before I bought it. I don’t use it for every gig anymore, but I’ll never get rid of it.

adjectives and BassKing like this.
  8. BassKing

BassKing

Oct 13, 2019
    Sounds like what I need!!!

dannylectro likes this.
  9. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Right now it's my Sire V3 5 string . It sounds great passive and I love the neck . Not too heavy at all and sounds great on everything I play . My Ibanez Talman 605 is terrific too for the P/J thing but I've been playing the Sire a lot and can't find anything I don't like about it . S7300897.JPG

Outtaseezun likes this.
  10. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I've not found a "forever" bass yet. To be truthful I'm not looking.

I'd say that for the first half of my playing career a Precision was the bass I preferred. Now for the second half, I seem to have settled on a Jazz.

Different manufacturers and models though.

11. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    My ‘79 4001 will be the last bass standing.

devilof76 likes this.
  12. TJL

TJL

Oct 22, 2013
    The right tool for the job means I can't get away with one bass, but for me there is one bass that I will always have on hand...an Alembic. They seem to have the widest range, and live or recorded, they are unmatched for tone. That said, I also keep a 1976 Fender P Bass (although I would prefer my brother's 1959), a Fodera Anthony Jackson, a John Carruthers, and a mid 70's Rickenbacker 4001.

devilof76 likes this.
  13. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I invariably reach for one of my 4 Jazz Basses.

They are;
    Versatile.
    Comfortable.
    Have simple controls.
    Are relatively affordable.
    Always sound great!

Rebel Rocker likes this.
  14. Smoothmove

Smoothmove Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Lebanon , Oregon
    My Roscoe Century Custom. Absolute joy to play, truly a tone monster!!
    I’ll never get rid of it:)
    42640F84-E1E3-45A3-8B9E-705B067666F2.jpeg

dave64o and osv like this.
  15. hwystar

hwystar

Jan 30, 2009
    My 85 White Ibanez Roadster 650. I'm the original owner. It has done everything I've asked. I sold it once....was sick afterwards. Finally tracked it down about 2 months later....bought it back. Never more from home shall she roam.

16. This one. 100% forever, made in Canada. SN 6059.jpg

HeavyJazz, dave64o, BassmanM and 2 others like this.
  17. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    For me... Nothing beats my 48th Street guitars "ESP Custom P" The neck isn't chunky like the Vintage Four series either. Such a great tone for any style of music. Crank it up for Rock/Metal and it gets this slightly overdriven tone that's to die for. Pick playing really brings the pain!! :thumbsup: (I recently installed a flat black PG with no white line, looks fantastic!)

P6180060.jpg

18. Dreamsinger

Dreamsinger

Jun 3, 2012
    Seattle
    Given some of the big$ boutique basses I've owned my lifetime choice may seem strange. It would be the Yamaha BBG5 I sold 20 years ago that I finally got back. Since I play fretless so often I snapped up an identical one that's going to get an ebony fretless board.

19. armelind

armelind

Feb 6, 2012
    My old Abilene bass (Samick made but I guess lower rung). I never seen another, it plays just as well as the day i got it in March 2001. It has been on all of my recordings since and it sounds great in person and on CD.

Attached Files:

20. My primary bass is also play a G&L 2000 jazz bass that I've played for 20 years. I love it. Yours is really beautiful with that inlay work. Did it come like that from G&L? I haven't seen that style. Is that a pickguard or more inlay below the strings. Also, what is that red thing next to the bridge?

jd56hawk and Outtaseezun like this.