1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your one true "Forever Bass"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassKing, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Veteran

Veteran

Jun 22, 2019
    Germany
    I have had many boutique bass guitars, but there is only one ArtAxe ToneMonster. Superb in playability, sound, and versatility.

2. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    1999 Sadowsky NYC 5.

HeavyJazz and BassKing like this.
  3. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I’ve had a couple of Alembic and always found they cut through while I’m more slated towards a blended sound. I love my sf2 though. Anyway I’ve heard this comment a few times talking to locals. I wonder why some of us have this issue with the Alembic...
    I totally agree with with right tool for the job which led to a major gas problem. I’m down to 1 dbl closet full cause I can’t gig anymore.

adjectives likes this.
  4. It's definitely my Deluxe Japanese Jag!
    IMG_9935.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Bassist30, adjectives and rllefebv like this.
  5. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    I hope my next bass....

6. What does the extra switch do?

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Mine came with pickups wired Parallel/Split coil. I added the switch to do inner coils/outer coils when in split-coil mode.
    I also added a push/pull volume pot that will give me straight series, but I never use it. Way too much midrange and not enough treble. I am usually in the other modes.

Glenn Johnson likes this.
  8. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    fender precision

Bassist30 and Rebel Rocker like this.
  9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    2012 Squier Classic Vibe Precision Bass.

10. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I can't choose which one, but it's one of these two. Both are my own home-built fairly accurate Fender clones.

5.JPG 3.JPG

matt11 and BassmanM like this.
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Easy, this Marco Bass fretless that Marco Cortes built up mostly from existing now-obsolete parts in his shop last year. I've posted the backstory several times, but it's not really germane to your question. Suffice to say that it was built very specifically to my preferences in some ways, and in other ways it isn't something I ever would've come up with on my own in a zillion years. But within a few days of receiving it all my other basses became essentially superfluous. And the fact that a close friend built it is just gravy.

MV4FL_23s.jpg

12. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    XLR only??

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Believe it or not.... t50-33.jpg 20191124_183213.jpg

It's a Hammersmith 5. But, from day one, it fit my hands like a glove. Sounds like a fantastic P bass with the neck pickup soloed. It has a lot of other tonal options (all passive). But the neck.... my gosh the neck feels great.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  14. Either my Fender CS Reggie Hamilton PJ5 or my Fender 71 Precision Bass.

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    For the moment. It's a 4 pin one and meant to allow a long laundry list of experiments that Marco and I have in mind. Things like Ric O Sound, Alembic style bipolar power, and some cooler things like remote control by wire. Right now it just goes to a breakout box and then a short 1/4" cable to my amp. But at any time I could just pop a 1/4" connector in D-Sub format (like the locking Neutrik one) into the XLR mounting plate that I made. We could also just put a side jack in as a backup.

bench likes this.
  16. Gotta be the Pedulla ET5 Thunderbass. Mine is almost a spitting image of this one, the figuring isn't quite as curly... ped tbass.jpg

Outtaseezun likes this.
  17. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I honestly don't think I really have a "forever" bass. And, I have a lot of them to choose from, too..
    '78 P-Bass-1.JPG This one? It is my 1st bass, and I like it a lot; but, it's heavy - and I'm old (& wore out), so... nope. Or,
    '73 Ric 4001.JPG This one? It is my go-to bass, but.. it's developing the neck problems that old 4001's are prone to, so... reluctantly, nope. So... maybe
    Alembic Epic-1.JPG the Alembic Epic? Nah... active basses -especially active only basses - are just not something I want to deal with - forever... Maybe it should be
    '94  Gretsch    G6119B.JPG the only lefty Gretsch bass I've ever seen? Uhh… no. With all it's problems, that's pretty much the only reason I still have it. Sorry; not a forever bass. How about
    Kramer 1.JPG the Kramer Lumie? Nah... nice as it is, just the thought of holding that neck up forever is making me ache... However;
    Dano DC bass-2.jpg The Dano DC59 Pro might just fit the bill. Light; well balanced; a very nice neck; sounds really good; versatile, too - with the right strings. Yeah, if I had to have a "Forever" bass, I'd go with the Dano. And, it has the added benefit that, when I decided that None was better than just one? I could just throw it in the dumpster without my wallet wailing like a banshee...;)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  18. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    My ‘74 P-Bass

Attached Files:

19. Erich Bruning

Erich Bruning

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't know if it will be a "forever" bass, but my '80's Jazz Bass Special is the one I keep going back to. I almost sold it during a time when I needed cash. Every time I play it, I am reminded of how much of a mistake it would have been. IMG_20191205_203031-2.jpg