1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your one true "Forever Bass"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassKing, Nov 22, 2019.

1. My KAYEFE III
    IMG_1716.jpg IMG_1727.jpg

2. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    ...believe it or not, mine is a cheap Yamaha...

BassKing likes this.
  3. So far, my Ibanez Portamento SRF705 fits the bill

E02ABD75-C887-44AA-9853-FF609F00393D.jpeg

Outtaseezun likes this.
  4. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    If it had to be one it’d be my Nash P, the Dee Dee look is what I wanted all along. Best neck and sounds good through every amp A894B945-98E7-48E2-A5C6-D4360F92AF6D.jpeg

5. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City, KS
    The one in this picture...my "mutt" 1965 L-series Fender Precision, Warmoth Jazz neck, Lollar pickup, TI flatwounds.

Showman + 1x15 cab.jpg

Shawn Luckman and Outtaseezun like this.
  6. Frampton

Frampton Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2010
    NY
    MoeTown1986 likes this.
  7. I had a chance about 8 years ago to get a 70’s fretless P from the original owner for a really good price and I kick myself all the time for not getting it. My wife (fiancé at the time) told me to buy it too... It was my dumb idea to pass it up.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  8. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Of course it does. It means nothing. It means everything.

This is Talk Bass, doncha know....:roflmao::roflmao:

GregC and BassKing like this.
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    You are proof to the falsehood of the saying"No money above the twelfth fret"

10. upload_2019-11-24_11-9-39.png
    This one keeps impressing me. My 2014 Vintage VJ74, equipped with 4-way switch for neck, bridge, parallel and series switching.

11. Screenshot_20191124-212348_Chrome-01.jpeg

So @Nephilymbass ... is this what they mean when they talk about a bass that "plays itself"?
    :D

JoshS, BassmanM and Outtaseezun like this.
  12. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    2saddleslab and Outtaseezun like this.
  13. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Holy cow...

14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Fretboard wear up to the 17th.

chris_b likes this.
  15. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    My first "forever bass" was a Peavey Sarzo that I bought in college. If I was just a little smarter, I'd still be playing that bass. When I graduated from college in 1993, I bought Kubicki Ex-Factor and it was the only bass I touched for a long time. Eventually, the Stu Hamm connection landed an Urge bass in my hands. I'd have stopped there, but I broke the truss rod on that bass.

Since then, I've been searching. I moved to a Jazz bass, but I knew that wasn't going to be a winner for me. I've used various P basses, and I thought I landed on a real "forever bass" with my Lakland 4-94 and my Dingwall AB1. Neither of them were quite it, though. I have tried (and I still own) a ton of basses, and I've come close to perfection with my Spector NS3CRFM. It really is just a rocker though, so I keep looking.

Currently, I'm hoping my "forever bass" can be a combination of a few basses, all acquired this year, and all better suited to me than anything I've tried previously. I have a Dingwall Super P that takes everything I love about a P bass and makes it better. I also have a Guild M-85 that makes those warm, vintage tones that I can't find anywhere else. When I want more edge, I'm experimenting with a Dingwall D-Roc to see if it can usurp my Spector. And when I absolutely have to have a five string, my AB1 is competing with a Thumb BO 5.

So, I guess for me, it is fair to say "forever basses."

BassKing likes this.
  16. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    Caption should be "What did I tell you? The drummer's late yet again!"

:D

GT

ELG60 likes this.
  17. devilof76

devilof76

Nov 19, 2019
    Sabattus, Maine
    23205887-71F9-4B80-BF81-AF3D89288690.jpeg

I’ve had the red one 30 years this Christmas. The nut broke when I was a kid and the shop replaced it with brass. Beginning of the year, I had the original bridge and pickup replaced. Pickup’s and EMG Geezer, and the bridge is a 12oz brass Hipshot. I switch between DR Fatbeams and Roto 66’s. It was forever by default, before. Now it’s earned the position.

The black one was a pawn shop score. It’s heavy. Mahogany and walnut. Ebony board. Active EQ. I don’t know what’s in it for pickups, but I have Fatbeams on the high strings and D’addario XL’s on the lows. .105 and .135, respectively.

When I bought it, I didn’t have an amp and hadn’t in 20 years. It was cheap enough that I could buy it for nostalgic reasons. It made a perfect sister to the Warlock (Blackie Lawless and Nikki Sixx were my first real bass idols, and my tastes have never fundamentally changed; they just grew).

There was no way for me to know what this beast would sound like when I plugged her in. I was buying art.

Art sounded unreal through a Rumble 25 with the overdrive lit. So unreal, I built an Eden stack to hear it through, and a dirt board to set it on fire. I’m a member here now because of what it sounded like.

I can’t think of anything else I’d want from a bass. (An 8 string Bich or a fretless Mockinbird, maybe; both rare and expensive). It’s not going anywhere.

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I forgot about my Carvin LB75f. I had it made for me back in 1998. Still with me all these years later. I guess that counts as a forever bass also! Here is an old picture with my other Forever basses....hmm....I might have missed the point if this thread.

20180213_233436.jpg

BassKing likes this.
  19. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Same here!

BassKing likes this.
  20. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA