1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where are all the 35" scale 4-string basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ellery, Jul 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    I love the feel of a long scale bass. My 5 string is 35" and plays fantastic. I would like to get another 4 string, but every one I've looked at is always 34" or less. Who makes a 4 string with the scale length of a 5 string? Is there a reason 4 strings are shorter, is it functional or just tradition?

2. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Ellery likes this.
  3. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Dingwall?

Ellery likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Spector makes a Euro 4 35", I forget the exact model number.

Mr. Hand and Ellery like this.
  5. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    It's demand.

tfer, Ellery and sharpbass like this.
  6. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've been trying to research 35" 4 strings over the past couple of days. I was aware of some Spectors (Euro) being 35", but what else?

I happen to have identical Schector Custom-4 and Custom-5...the 4 is 34" and the 5 is 35". I know part of the 5 string preference is to raise B string tension. I prefer a higher tension so have been looking to get a 35" 4 string bass. Spector is on my list, but not a cheap way to get a test bass for a while. Fret for fret, the 1" scale difference is not a big deal to me in terms of left hand position.

Thanks for creating the thread, I was going to create one just like after doing a little more homework. Ideally I'd find a used bass in the $300-500 USD range to get, then decide on the Spector.

Mr. Hand and Ellery like this.
  7. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    They used to call it something like the Euro 435 but now it's just an upgrade option for the Euro 4LX.

They'll make a US NS-2 in 35" as well. I have one.

Ellery and 99Z3 like this.
  8. It was the 435LX but they could have changed the designation. I don't keep up with the 35" scale Spector basses all that much.

Ellery likes this.
  9. RyanOh

seang15 and comatosedragon like this.
  10. Peavey made 35" 4 strings. USA made G basses,Millenniums and Cirrus & some Grinds are all 35"

11. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Modulus Q4s are 35".

12. Holy crap I thought you were joking! Well, thanks for adding to my gas . . . . . .

Ellery, seang15 and Ryan6491 like this.
  13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Alembic

img_0132-.

ed morgan, seang15, zortation and 7 others like this.
  14. RyanOh

japhy4529, obimark and Ellery like this.
  15. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Hey who knows, maybe I'd get my hands on one and not like it! ;)

16. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    My 5 string is a Shecter Stiletto Studio 5, with every string downtuned a m3 and the tension is great. Previously I was using a Schecter XXX-4, which did pretty good at that tuning, but the 5 is noticeably better. My thought was combining the neck feel of the 4 and the scale length of the 5 could be, well, pretty dope.

Ryan6491 likes this.
  17. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Spector was already on my GAS list, so that is very interesting. The stellar performance of my neck through Schecter Studio 5 is probably the only thing stopping me from spending thousands of dollars on an instrument I want but don't really need. :whistle::greedy::rolleyes:

bunkaroo likes this.
  18. ChefKen

ChefKen Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2014
    NW CT
    My Andreas is 36" Scale..... FullSizeRender (70).shark3.

19. Peavey Cirrus. Ken Smith Sound on a budget

20. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Nice!