1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where are the Henman-Bevilacqua owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Sep 25, 2008.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    What were your reasons for making the purchase?

2. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Because I wasn't losing money fast enough in the stock market.

Ho!

Jack

3. and we're off!

4. Never heard of them. Just looked them up, found their website and was reading how they touted on being "minimalist" and all and the bass itself looked decent. But not 5900 dollars decent! :meh: I think they need to rethink their market strategy.

5. Spending that much money on a bass makes me feel better about my small...............................

guitar. :D

Sorry to be harsh, I just cant deal with the prices on these. Im a poor 24 year old.

6. I think they look pretty cool but I couldn't justify buying a $6000 bass that has the same electronics and pickups as a $600 bass like a Schecter. I'm not doubting the build quality since they did a review in Bass Gear Magazine on one of these and gave it a 5 out of 5 on build quality but Sadowsky also has impeccable build quality as well, with better pickups and electronics, and they still don't cost over $4000.

7. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Hey guys, don't forget, great tone is in the fingerzzzz

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They just look hilariously overpriced. And also, looking at them, they look like something that costs $600 at best. I wouldn't dare. You can get an alembic for less!

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm not sure, other than Jauqo, there ARE any HB owners.

10. I was thinking the same thing:smug:

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I love the sound and sustain of them from what samples I've heard and I hear they play like butter. I'd buy one if I could afford one! :p

12. silverburst

silverburst Commercial User

Aug 22, 2007
    Los Angeles
    They play very well, but that is alot of cash that could be spent on hookers and blow.

13. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado

That's funny Rex. I want to party with you next time I'm in OC.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    But with hookers you can always get a refund, didn't you play GTAIII?

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    That $6000 is the list, street is gonna be below $4000, $3-3500, IIRC.
    And they will use different pickups if you want, and put in a preamp.

Me, I actually like HZ's.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Me to (a poor 24 year old) :)

I'm sure there is at least one more member.

17. Gear

Gear

Jul 10, 2008
    Jauqo, do you have one? If so would you mind telling us your reasons?

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I first came across this brand while stopping in a store here in Chicago in the fall of 07 that had two in stock. I noticed them hanging very very high on the wall and I thought they looked very interesting. The owner took one down for me to check out. I went over it with a fine tooth comb and it was flawless but I didn't play it.

A few months later I'm at the winter 08 NAMM show and I see that the same company was there with a booth. I made a mental note to try and check out their basses again and this time play one. A little later that day a bass playing friend of mine was very enthused in her description of these very interesting looking basses so she dragged me over to the booth and I was greeted by luthier Scotty Bevilacqua who is beyond passion about his work. I expressed that I was interested in checking one out and from there it was on :)and just think I was not looking for a new bass or interested in acquiring one.

The bass that I own is the same one that was reviewed in the Sept 08 issue of Bass player magazine.

Upon looking at the bass it does look a little odd. The body is definitely J bass inspired but its a little smaller than a classic Jazz. The body is solid and playing the bass unplugged you can actually feel it resonate.

This bass has a very distinctive tone to it(at least in my hands). Very growly and clear with a mid range burp that is very reminiscent of a vintage J bass(61-66). If you've played a real vintage J bass you'll have a better understanding.

The bass plays like butter and balances very well and there is no neck dive at all.

The bass is passive and set up like a traditional Jazz(V V T).

The neck is solid, it kind of reminds me of a graphite neck but with a wooden sound and feel.Every note that is played is very clear and the harder you dig in, the notes never seem to get distorted, the notes sustain forever. You can even feel the notes sustain throughout the instruments overall construction even when the bass is unplugged.

The electronics are extremely quite and allow for what seems to be a very versatile instrument.

It is interesting how a bass could cause so much controversy from so many,especially when they haven't even held one in their hands let alone played one.

I would like to keep this thread civil and respectful, so if any one haven't actually played one at this point there really isn't anything one can say.

That's like me saying riding Elephants are a bumpy ride, when I've never rode one :)

19. They're pretty freakin' uncomfortable, actually.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    See, I didn't know that.