1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where Did The Good Ole' Days Go?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Aberdumbie, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Thespis

Thespis

Feb 2, 2016
    We used a light bulb based screwed into the bottom of a coffee can mounted on plywood. Cut out the plastic window on a screw-in household fuse, fill it with black powder, screw it into the base and flip the switch. Boom. :)

Aberdumbie likes this.
  2. OldBassman

OldBassman Gold Supporting Member

Dude, these are the "good old days"... Just wait a few years and you'll see what I mean!!

pcake, dbase, Aberdumbie and 2 others like this.
  3. Teenager memories:

My father giving us a lift to me and my brother to a gig with his brand new Ford LTD 1972 station wagon with wood imitation on the side, the three on the front seat, back seat recessed, the back loaded with a drum set, an Ampeg V4B head and original 2x15 cab, a Twin reverb and guitar + bass square case. I was so tight I think we have to carry the picks in the glove case. And send the drummer by bus. :bassist:

(That was before the Class D and Neo speakers era)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    dbase and Aberdumbie like this.
  4. And 99% of musicians must have a day job to eat something!

5. I love the stage monitor!

Aberdumbie likes this.
  6. Econoline memories:

The van was so rotten, one night we had a flat tire, impossible to jack to van cause the frame tend to collapse, put all the gear in the snow aside the road to have a chance to jack a little bit and put the spare tire, but the spare tire was leaking and was not really better so roll to a garage cause the hydrolic lift was the only safe way to work on the wheels. This gig started late, we were half paid, minus the garage bill we had just enough to take a beer for the last set.

1984 North cost in Quebec, -20 deg. , we were paid every Tuesday morning so the routine was the same, go to bank to change the check, one guy go into the bank, the other go to the grocery store, and the two others hang around the van checking the oil ect. The third weeks, somebody had noticed the routine and warn the police that somebody is preparing a hold-up, and guess what happen. It is always stressing to have six 38mm. on the head. (FREEEEZZZE!!!)

Aberdumbie likes this.
  7. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Got to love the use of Stereo Speakers for monitors.

8. popcat

popcat

Jan 7, 2016
    Flash pots, you had flash pots? When I was young we couldn't afford flash pots. We were lucky to have someone who could afford a lighter and bit of fluid.

OnFire.

Bassammich, dbase and Aberdumbie like this.
  9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've played with the home made flash pots that a lighting tech of ours loved to use in venues where we could get away with them. Awesome for the stage show. Not so awesome for the subs when the BANG is picked up by the kick mic and the system doesn't have a limiter on it. Luckily it was next to last song of the night.

10. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Ha-ha... Yeah we had an antique cab over truck. One of the shifting forks would slide out of the case from time to time. We would pull it up on a curb. Whichever of us was most sober (none by today's standards) would get under and remove the side of the tranny case and slide the fork back in and off we would be on our merry way. I do not miss that.. Not a bit

11. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Talk about the good ole days ... this was my first bass amp. Emerson stereo console. Managed to find a pre-amp input on the circuit board and wired it to my bass and blew out the speakers. My mom wasn't too happy.
    console.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  12. I had to compete with the rhythm guitarist's amp plus the lead player's Fender stack. 1981, I guess. I had my first amp in life, a no-name head on a 15" cab that gave real farts a good name. Later I bought a Ross Bigmouth (portable 15" combo for those who don't remember) and chained them up. Voila! Bass! The Ross was doing all the heavy lifting, but having no-name out there, as well, upped the backline "density." The cool factor was in how well you could clutter a stage with musical-looking garbage.

So there we were, playing Smoke On The Water (no joke), and no-name gave up the ghost. Smoke billowed from the head and the drummer nearly choked to death. The Ross kept on keeping on, though, and nary a difference was heard.

Aberdumbie likes this.
  13. He another rotten cab story: the guitar player older brother borrow his father 1968 gmc suburban the ride us to a gig. Manual 3spd transmission, he never been able to pass the second, so 1 to 3 directly, we get to the gig but return in bus with the gear at 1 o'clock.

Aberdumbie likes this.
  14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    yeah those cheap oval speakers werent meant to handle that much bass :D

Boy I sure got a lot of use out of our old console set, I think it came from Montgomery Wards If I recall correctly.

15. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    I miss that too, although I'm not sure I could keep up with the schedule. I played in a road band that would sometimes be booked for four months in Oregon where we would play 8:00 PM to 2:00 AM six nights a week. Every two or four weeks we would drive to the next gig. We had a lot of adventures and got to spend time in a lot of different cities. I was able to drive all over the Western United States without a map. I knew where to stop for gas, where to eat and even what mile marker was just over the next hill in parts of Wyoming, Nevada, Colorado, California, Arizona, etc.

16. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    I had bad luck in Eugene Oregon. Seems like every little rendezvous ended in a trip to the health clinic. I worked with a singer who almost bragged that he'd been infected seventeen times. Maybe his epitaph should read: "He had the clap seventeen times".

1bassplayin likes this.
  17. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    Don't see them much any more.... Once bitten, twice shy.

18. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

We used to put as many amps as we could onstage... looked cool, but sounded like ass :D

Aberdumbie likes this.
  19. 1bassplayinfool

When I was much younger (and dumber) I got more ass than a toilet seat. No shots, only whiskey...

Aberdumbie likes this.
  20. 1bassplayinfool

Beautiful