1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which basses do have a really long upper horn.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krucial, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Krucial

Krucial

May 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    A lot of basses have an upper horn up to the 12th fret, but which basses have a longer upperhorn?
    I only know only one: the Maruszczyk Frog (which reaches close to the 11th fret), but I'm sure there must be more.
    Any ideas?

2. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I think the Carvin Bunny Brunel has an elongated upper horn.

3. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    The really cheap Peavey's do. They sound pretty good too.

4. gscroggin

gscroggin Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    I think Bee basses take the cake in this department...

My Conklin also had a pretty long horn.

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Warwick Fortress

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Leo Lospennato's Sauron model:

8046762sauron.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Its horn is long relative to the rest of the body, but it stops at the 12th fret like most other basses.

The question he was asking was about horns that go to the 11th or further, presumably for balance reasons.

Matt Pulcinella Level 5 is a great one. :)

8. F-Light

F-Light_800_10deg_white.

9. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    The way to "kill" neck dive is move the strap button closer to the head. IMO it looks really bad, but it is effective.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Do you want it for looks, for for balance?

If for balance, the Carvin Bunny Brunel and the Brubaker Brute are the most balanced basses I've ever played outside of Steinbergers. The horns go to around the 12th fret, so they are not overly long and they don't look goofy. But the overall design on them is why they are balanced so well.

11. Krucial

Krucial

May 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    You're right about the Fortress. Same as with the Cort Curbow. Due to the short body, the upper horns seem very long, but is just to the 12th fret (which already is quite good).

Balance is indeed one of my reasons for asking, a 'not fully cooperative' wrist is another, so I want to be able to reach the first position easier, without sacrificing 34".

The Matt Pulcinella looks really nice and comes with the custom Bartolini's :) Wow, if price, availability and the fact that the music shop is closed on mondays, weren't the issue, I would try one tomorrow.

The F-light seems also quite nice.

12. Nah. It sometimes helps a bit, but often at the cost of making the angle uncomfortable.
    Long horn to place strap button around 12th fret is the sure way... if a bass is not designed that way... live with neck dive or sell it... if it has neck dive.

13. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Carvin

14. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I don't know if it's a one-off, but Jesse at Ergo made a bass version of Prince's cloud guitar

%2524%2528KGrHqV%252C%2521ikE4sdEOnF0BONMC5JNk%2521%257E%257E0_3.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Modulus M series and Q series have a more elongated upper horn than a typical Fender.

16. Ibanez BTB series also have very long upper horns.

17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's also a really nice Pulcinella in the TB classifieds right now, for a great price. I don't know if he'll ship to your location, but it's worth asking.

18. Krucial

Krucial

May 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    I'm a strictly 4 string player :(. (I had a Frog 5, which was an excellent bass, but eventually sold it, because it wasn't being played) But thanx anyway.

19. I seem to recall an early Midi controller bass (and a guitar) where the horn went all the way up to the headstock. Roland, possibly, or maybe Casio. :confused:

20. Alembic Rogue!!