Which compressor would you buy for Metal sound? Please vote ;)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DarkArchitect, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Electro-Harmonix Bass Preacher

8.3%
  2. Ashdown Dual Band Compressor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BOSS CS-3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. TC Electronic Spectra Comp

4.2%
  5. PIGTRONIX PHILOSOPHER BASS COMPRESSOR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Compressor

16.7%
  7. MXR M87 Bass Compressor

16.7%
  8. Markbass Compressore

8.3%
  9. Providence Bass Boot Comp BTC-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. EBS MULTICOMPRESSOR STUDIO EDITION

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Aguilar TLC Compressor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Empress Compressor

12.5%
  13. DARKGLASS ELECTRONICS SUPER SYMMETRY COMPRESSOR

8.3%
  14. Diamond Bass Compressor

4.2%
  15. Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Bass

16.7%
  16. Other (please specify with answer)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. None

4.2%
  1. OK, still on the way to create my effects chain. Current set-up:

Bass: Ibanez BTB 675 NTF 5 string active bass
    Amp: Hartke HD150 Combo with 7 band eq
    Pedals: SA Aftershock>Darkglass B7K Ultra>SA Gemini Chorus

I am considering adding a compressor to my chain. Before I set this poll, I have done my homework and did quite a lot of reading on

Compressor Reviews

Also checked video reviews, prices etc.

The pedals are listed in the poll are the available ones where I live, from the cheapest to the most expensive, and my maximum budget is around 200$.

I got stuck between Seymour Duncan Studio Bass and Markbass Compressore, and both seem quite well and about 200$. I would have definitely bought Markbass Compressore if it were a bit smaller, it is quite a huge one with dimensions 170 x 145 x 60 mm.

The ones at the end of the poll are really expensive, I do not want to pay more than what I did for B7K Ultra :) If anyone can offer a cheaper and yet still effective solution, that's also welcome.

So here we go, let the poll begin ;)

2. I can't really take part in the poll as there are many comp pedals included that I've never heard for myself.
    I know and have these:
    EBS Multicomp
    Diamond
    Empress
    Okko Coca
    Smoothie

In very simple words:
    My favourite allround comp is the Smoothie. It has a blend knob (always a good thing) and a tone knob that makes the sound more low-ish or treble-ish. Simply a great comp pedal. There's a very good video on youtube created by a TB member.
    The Diamond is rather polite and elegant, not my first choice for Metal, can be very good for softer music.
    The Empress is very neutral, almost no tonal change, it seems to leave the bass tone alone more than the other pedals.
    The Okko adds a bit highs to your sound and smoothens the tone a bit like the Diamond, not my first chice for Metal.
    The EBS is a fantastic workhorse, some of them fail after a few years, mine still works after 11-12 years.
    It has a tube simulation which adds some rock-ish mids. Out these five, the EBS would be my first choice for Metal.

I have heard and read very good things about the Markbass comp, the Darkglass comp, the Origin Effects bass comp, and the Aguilar comp, but no first hand experience.

DarkArchitect likes this.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure you've done your research, but from the post it isn't clear what exactly you want the compressor to achieve. Do you already have a tone you like but you want the compressor to smooth out volume issues only? Or is there something tonally you're looking for that you hope the compressor will give you?

I've only ever used one compressor on bass, and it's not on your list, the Whirlwind OC Bass. It's great, very neutral, and for smoothing out volume only, really. Metal isn't a genre where I think of a compressor as a key part of the tone, but what do I know? So, not knowing any more, and based on @caligula 's experience, I would probably pick the Empress out of your list - get your tone from distortion pedals etc. and let the compressor handle volume and stay out of the way. But that's just me shooting in the dark.

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  4. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    If by "metal sound" you mean that you have your bass already making a "metal sound", then the Empress without a doubt.

Buy used.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I voted Seymour Duncan, but you might also look for the Keeley Bassist or Fairfield Accountant. The Whirlwind OC was a good suggestion too. The Keeley Bassist is somewhat similar to the dbx many metal guys use. The Fairfield has the most character of these.

6. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    I'm an EHX bass preacher fan. If you're looking for a good yet inexpensive option, that or the TC spectracomp would be my choice.

7. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    I voted for the MXR, simply because it's a great compressor.
    For any style really.

8. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    empress. all day everyday.

i play in a heavy metal band and the empress is brilliant, i prefer it over my MXR 87 and my markbass compressor

i had the Darkglass Super Symmetry however it was a little to dark and "vintage" for my taste however i wish i still had it, it would have paired really nice with my girlfriends corvette fna jazzman and solid state markbass amps.

9. I don't use any ( except limiter on my amp that makes sure I don't blow speakers? ) only metal pedalboard of the stars I've seen a compressor on is the guy from stonesour having an A/B/Y into a mxr compressor on each A/B and then into the mxr m80 on one and a sansamp on the other... So I guess can't be a bad one if I like stonesours tone?...

10. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Why do you think you need a compressor?

DarkArchitect and Skybone like this.
  11. I would like to smooth out the tone a bit and the peaks as I am playing with fingers and sometimes hard :) After throughful thinking, I ordered Markbass Compressore, waiting for the delivery in some hours. Only downside for me was the size and the power requirements, but I think I will find a way to deal with those and it will find its way in the pedalboard which I am thinking to buy :hyper:

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022