1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which effect to buy? $0 - $250

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tim_Mofunk, Jul 30, 2012.

1. 3Leaf Wonderlove

14 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. Iron Ether Polytope

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Iron Ether Xerograph Dlx

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Mad Professor Blueberry

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. BS/SS TAFM

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Source Audio Pro MBD

6 vote(s)
    6.2%
  7. Source Audio Pro BEF

25 vote(s)
    25.8%
  8. ZVex Sonar Tremolo

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  9. Dr Scientist Tremolessence

7 vote(s)
    7.2%
  10. Other... post below

19 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Hi All.... I will be buying a new pedal Wednesday...

Yay for me! :hyper:

...but I don't know what to buy

The reason is I am getting a VP JR to use as an expression pedal and might as well grab something to bundle in with the shipping.

I am an out there sort of bloke and am into both traditional and crazy sounds.

Not playing in a band as such at the moment but having regular jams with some similar souls. Very experimental funk style stuff.

Current Rig...

Main Bass - Fender AmDlx Jazz 4 string (active)

Pedals - Boss TU2, Boss CEB3, Boss LMB3, EHX Bassballs, EHX Bass Muff, EHX Memory Man w Haz, EHX Bass Micro Synth, Dunlop 105q Wah, Fuzzrocious Grey Stache, Eventide Pitchfactor, Chunk Octavius Squeezer.

On the way - Dr Scientist The Elements

Amp - Custom built Tube pre with Solid State power amp.

Budget is up to around $250 USD

Any suggestions for something fun to add to the mix?

The poll above includes some pedals I am interested in trying, some others I am interested in are currently out of stock on the website I will probably use (prymaxe)

2. My next pedal adventure will be the source audio pedals you listed. I think it will be fun to play with dubstep sounds with the hot hand. With all the toys you currently have, I bet you could get some really interesting sounds.

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Had you not had the Elements, I'd have said the TAFM....not that one replaces the other, but with your Gray Stache, it's less of a priority.....so I say:

Tremolessence. With the Polytope a close second. The Tremolessence is just cool. Lokk that stuttery thing. And with an expression pedal (that you have) it's easily the coolest pedal on that list.

And still has very good flip value if you don't dig it. The BEF Pro's popularity is waning.

4. dd16

dd16

Dec 23, 2011
    Paris, France
    I wouldn't recommand Source Audio stuff, it just sounds ugly to me...

If I was you, I'd take a Malekk Bitcrusher or a Subdecay Noise box.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You need an Envelope Filter. MXR or 3 Leaf.

6. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    If only WMD made their Super Fatman with a typical expression jack then you could hook it up to the hot hand 3 an have an infinitely better envelope filter that would do everything that every other pedal could do and have the hot hand.

7. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    From WMD's site:

"CV Input - This jack allows you to use a standard expression pedal (stereo plug) to control the filter position, or blend it with the envelope and LFO. It provides power to the expression pedal. This can also be used with 0-5 volt CV sources. For +-2.5 volt (moogerfooger and modular gear) CV, a special adapter is required to convert the voltage levels, available from WMD for $30."

Looks like it'd work?

8. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    I'd say a trem would be a cool addition, just given what you already have. While I haven't tried the Tremolessence (I just use the good 'ol PN-2), I'd say it's easily your best bet in that category.

It looks like you're also looking to explore other filters. If so....do yourself a BIG favor and pick up a Wonderlove. It's soooooo good. An extremely well-made and well-thought-out pedal.

9. I picked other.. the best thing I have on my board is a Moog MF101 LPF, although it is very expensive, it is worth every penny.

10. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    Nocturne " Bass Brain ".

11. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Darkglass B3k at 259?

12. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    looks like i've got some shuffeling to do.

13. Reading all the responses (thanks by the way) I am now leaning towards the Wonderlove or the Tremolessence.

14. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    I'd go with a multi-effect, one which has some promising-looking effects bundled.

I'm going to try a Zoom B3, which has filters, trems, synths, and so on. For $200 street, it looks extremely interesting.

15. Not really looking for a multi effect. I know there are some quality multi effects out the I just like the modular approach of single pedals.

16. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Eventide Modfactor, Pitchfactor, or Timefactor. Or Melekko Wolftone Chaos.

17. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Other: Used WMD Super Fatman

18. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I'd get a chorus. EBS being my favorite. After that I'd go after an envelope filter (even thought the EHX is technically an envelope filter get one thats more versatile). Can't go wrong with the MXR or a EHX qtron+ or qballs.

19. I think the Tremolessence bring the most to your current board.

20. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    An excellent pedal that almost never gets mentioned here on TB. Tavo is a fantatsic builder.