1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which strings do you put on your Precision and why?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sublab, Aug 12, 2012.

1. I currently have EB Powerslinkies on my brand new American Special Precision and think it sounds pretty good, but I'm sure there's other types and brands that will get my P to sound even better. So what strings do you use on your P and why?

2. MJT

MJT

Feb 24, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    I love flats (D'Addario chromes) but have found they get lost in the mix when performing.
    So I've switched to EB Cobalt Slinkys Just enough zing, easy to dial back the brightness, and they sound really good live and in live recordings.

3. sharpbass

sharpbass

Oct 4, 2011
    La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats or Sadowsky Blue Rounds.

4. 2-Sticks

2-Sticks

Sep 8, 2008
    Vancouver B.C. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: S.I.T. Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, WB Gear,
    For me every bass I own gets strung with SIT steel roundwounds. I am quite active when I play live, am a very heavy sweater, and I am very acidic, SIT strings are the only brand I have tried that will last me more than 2 weeks of regular play....and I have tried a lot lol. I also love the way they sound and feel too. The only time I switch to something else is if I need flats for a session, but when the session is done the SITs go back on before the bass goes back in the case. ;-)

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Right now I've got a set of DR LoRiders on my main P, but it goes back and forth between rounds and Chromes.

I really prefer Chromes for their feel and sound, but the style I'm playing right now just works better with rounds.

6. Chrome flats with the upper mids turned up a little on my amp. Wicked bottom end in a power trio.

7. I'm in a power trio as well. Th EB's are doing fine most of the time, but the bottom lacks definition, even with a flat EQ. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but eversince I got my P, the EB's are not doing their magic anymore.

8. Clydesauce

Clydesauce

May 12, 2012
    Ernie ball Hybrid Slinky

9. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    Rotosound 66s steel or nickel.

10. coldwar1977

coldwar1977

Aug 1, 2012
    Belgium
    I always use D'Addario nickelwounds (.50-.105). Love the feel, bright tone and durability. :bassist:

11. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    I put Labella Deep Talkin' flats on my AVRI '62 and D'Addario EXL165's on my American Standard Ash and Maple P-Bass.

The '62 just begs for flats it's got a great Stax thump and sits beautifully in the mix.

I put nickel rounds on the Am Std to get that George Porter Jr mid range growl.

Both basses have their own character and I just go with what they do best.

12. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    All depends on the tone and feel YOU want. You should provide more info to get an answer that'll be useful for your goals.

13. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Labella flats. Never changing strings ever again. MMM mmm MMM mmm MMM.

14. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    3+ year old dr hibeams on my '08 p-bass. i've tried chromes, black beauties, roto nickels, and keep going back to that old set of rounds. they're well broken in but still have zing when i want it. they're just the best fit for that bass.
    on my '00 HRP, i just strung it up with a a set od pro-steels. i've had ghs boomers, roto flats, d'addario nickels, dr hibeams, chromes, black beauties. i'm really digging the pro-steels. they're quite loud and i get this really grindy midrange out of'em when i dig in.

15. Tcoon42102

Tcoon42102

Aug 12, 2012
    I'm new to this sorry if I'm doing this wrong but I agree with deaky the rotosound rs66 is a nice string

16. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    This is what I've started using lately. I wanted something that was inexpensive, but still brought the tone and longevity that I like DR.

17. TI Jazz flats on my Fender 54 reissue and SIT nickel PowerWounds (.40-.95) on my Fretless 96 Precision. Flats just sound good on any P and the SIT rounds produce such great mwah.

18. Well owing to the fact that I don't have one at the moment (a situation that will change soon) none, but when it arrives there's a set of GHS Precision Flats waiting for it.

Why? I believe PBasses love good old fashioned thumpy flats. That's the sound I want out of my PBass so I use a string that will produce it and enhance what a PBass is very good at. Creating a huge penetrating bottom.

My JBass has GHS Pressure Wounds on it because I want a string capable of far more tonal flexibility than a flat can offer and one with a lot of mid range punch and those will do it. Variations on a theme.

19. I like a 'deep' tone, not too much higher midrange nor treble. Defined lows, not wooly, not mellow - one thing I can't stand in my own sound is when it's just 'boom' and lacking any definition. I often dig in when I play, using chords and I play with a pick. My band plays powerriffs and experimental in one and the same song. Up 'til now I have never been able to get my tone right. I'll set the EQ to flat, open up the P tone knob all the way and still my E sounds muffled and unclear. Maybe the Powerslinkies are just too thick for the sound I'm after?

20. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    I'm using the new Fender Flats and they are stellar. Highly recommended.