1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who is your music idol?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Byron92, May 28, 2012.

1. Byron92

Byron92

Aug 21, 2011
    Want to hear em, I'll start.

Duff Mckagan, great bass player, despite snobs saying you're a failed guitarist if you play the bass with a pick, heard he's a good dude. He went through the drug addiction phase, got help and is now sober.Has a hot wife and His basslines are tasty, never boring. Not afraid to lock in with the guitarist either, great tone, total rockstar, seems humble. If I could, I'd jam with him, saw the Behind The player DVD feat. him, felt like I know just a little bit of him. That's all folks!!

2. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thelonious Monk, without a doubt.

3. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Jimmy Haslip, I've been listening to him since I began playing bass 6 years ago.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nathan East, of course.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Miles
    Mingus
    Duke
    Trane
    Bird
    Bartok
    Ives
    Jimi
    Jack
    Phil
    Rocky
    Bullwinkle

6. On Duff: The guy's no fool. He was an original investor of Starbuck's, and now has a finacial planning business aimed specifically to "sideman" musicians in bands that suddenly find themselves "in the money." I've got nothing but respect for Duff... and I eek out that "Appitite" still holds up because Duff and Steven are so super tight on that record.

Really though, right now as a bassist: Jimmy Page's open tunings on Zep III, Matt Ward's guitar fingerpicking, and Richard Lloyd's double-tracked lead work with Television and Matthew Sweet.

I've always said that if I could make my bass sound like Patsy Cline, I'd just sit at home playing every night.

7. Even though hes a guitarist, I have alot of respect for Paul Gilbert. Man has crazy chops but has a hilarious sense of humor. Also Cliff Burton, cause its friggin Cliff Burton, if I need to explain that one then never mind. And finally, I know I bring this guy up alot, is Chuck Schuldiner. I don't know know what it exactly it is, but something in Deaths music really connects with me, how it'll go from eerily calm to brain liquefyingly fast and brutal, all while keeping a certain emotional melodic touch that isn't really seen in most of the other bands in the genre. Easily the band I draw most inspiration from.

8. Byron92

Byron92

Aug 21, 2011
    For the life of me, I just can't get into death metal. I think it's a hate it or love it genre. Still respect the musicians though, takes a lot of endurance.

9. Byron92

Byron92

Aug 21, 2011
    I read about that little business he has going on, smart dude to be honest, can't think of any other musician that has done that, but that's probably because I stick to my own world of music. I don't expand too much now that I'm comfortable with my music ;p

10. Definitely a love hate thing, and I've met more than a few people, including some close metal buds of mine that didn't like Chucks band Death, but they really gained a large progressive edge as they went on, which turns people off. And I hate to be "that guy," but just take a listen to this track to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-as4LausEok&feature=relmfu

11. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Syd Barrett

12. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Billy.

13. silenttodd

silenttodd Guest

Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    -mike oneill- from the 90s canadian band "the inbreds"
    -geddy lee

14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Chris Squire and Mel Schacher for influencing my playing style.
    Steve Morse for his playing and writing style.
    Peter Gabriel

15. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Mingus
    Bill Frisell
    Tony Levin
    Mike Watt
    Duff (friends ran into him on a motorcycle ride and he is as nice as he seems, apparently)
    JP Jones
    Ravi Shankar
    George Harrison
    Neko Case
    Johnny Cash
    Hank Williams
    John Zorn

16. twhitedc

twhitedc

Feb 19, 2011
    NJ
    In terms of bass: I've always been able to most identify with George Porter Jr's style and shall we say feel for the pocket. I LOVE listening to different ways that many great players have manipulated their instruments (Vic, Flea, Jaco Geddy, Les, Phil, Gordo, Family Man) but for years I've found GPjr to be my favorite and one of my biggest influences.

17. Guy Clark. He's not a bass player but he is my musical idol.

18. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    -Brian Ritchie, bassist of the Violent Femmes, is by far my largest influence in playing/performing. His playing on "Add It Up" and "Never Tell" directly led to me picking up the bass.

-Wayne Coyne, frontman of the Flaming Lips, is the coolest man in rock right now and has a great sense of humor/presentation/style. His songs ooze both sophistication and psychedelia to me, something I otherwise deem impossible ("Fight Test", "Race for the Prize", "Sound of Failure")

-Jack Bruce
    -Beck
    -Brian Wilson
    -David Byrne/Talking Heads
    -Angelo Badalamenti (most well known as composer for David Lynch films/Twin Peaks)

19. Menno

Menno

Feb 21, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I don't idolize anyone. So "noone" would be my answer...

20. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Eddie Breckenridge, really the band Thrice as a whole. i love their sound and everything about them. been my top band since about '02.