Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who LIKES their Wishnevsky, and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thwackless, Dec 4, 2003.

1. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    I'm mulling over a Wish. Got a drawing to build from, and since I can't find one to try, I'd like to hear from someone who's not going to pan them for purely aesthetic reasons, or because they're not conventional fare. So, let's get the funny stuff out of the way: You guys go first...! :p
    Thanks,
    Rog.

2. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    Ive heard they sound pretty good, but they are built really bad.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    They do sound good.
    And yes they are made bad.
    I own a Wish 5 string.
    Still don't know if I like It.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I owned one. Sounded good, but quality bad. Even with a Rouge or SX you are not going to see where glue oozed out from under the fingerboard. The time to cleanup or avoid stuff like that would be minimal. I would be afraid to order something fretted.

5. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Maybe if I ordered it "in white" (unfinished, medium-sanded), I could do whatever clean-up and finish it myself. Stain and Tung oil, or something.
    Rog.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Save your money...

I owned one and it wasn't very well put together. Not worth the $ or eyesore.

If you live in Smithfield, RI you must be with in 45-50 minutes from New Bedford, MA. Look up a cat by the name of Matt Maillet (yellow pages or something). Great builder, really inexpensive but solid instruments.

My $.02

7. I "owned" one for a short while :D

I can only compliment the tone - a "one trick pony" sort of tone but decent nonetheless.

I thought the design concept was innovative and ambitious but so poorly executed that any ground gained in the quality department by the design was quickly lost when you actually held the instrument and inspected it.

Sorry, you'd probably be better off with 2 Rogues that have good finishes and assembly than one Wish at the same price.

8. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Yeah, that's pretty much my neighborhood. I'll have a look at that, thanks. Always good to support your local luthier(I enjoyed the "cat" reference:D ).
    Rog.

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Matt built two 6 string 36 inch basses (fretted and fretless) for Dartmouth/New Bedford area bassist: Mike Lavoie. They were big, wide spacing, beautiful and powerful, totally worth the chee$e from what I remember Mike mentioning.

Good luck, let us know if you are able to track him down.

jai

ps. yeah cats are cool :cool:

10. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    I was witness to some of the adventure with the "...buy a Wish" thread.
    My interest in the Wish is driven mostly by his claim that it's an ergonomically friendly bass. I'm dealing with an arm issue, and my phys. therapist wondered it might be interesting to look into one. My own ethic is very homegrown, and I don't mind the absence of a few "appointments" (define as you Wish- sorry!) as long as I can work happily with it, sound and feel-wise.
    The prospect of having something 'outside' in appearance is kind of fun, too.
    Cheap and funky can be groovy; just cheap may not make it.
    Rog.

11. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Name (Mike L) rings a little tiny bell.
    Yep, I'll find Matt. I got a gig tonight, w/ my Jazz. Wishin' (ha-ha!) I had a shorty scale to go with... I'm goin' home to call him now. I'll talk to ye, thanks again.
    Rog.

12. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah Mike Lavoie gets a bunch of the jazz gigs in the Southeast Coast area, him along with Todd Baker. Great bassists. I'm amazed that it didn't ring a good sized bell..

If you can't find Matt Maillet thru the internet or phone book easily, try going to Rick's music or any of those three music shops in Swansea, near the Swansea mall... I remember them all knowing about Matt Maillet.

have fun on your gig...

j-raj

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, the one that i played was very much _not_ a player-friendly instrument. i don't know what he's talking about, but a neck that is as thick as it is wide is not comfortable to play. headstock heavy with sharp edges on the body - not comfortable to play seated either.

14. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I would characterize myself as being an overall fan of Wishbass. Wishbasses sound amazing, and they look really great, and they do feel great IMO, though they feel unlike a standard bass guitar and more like a cross between an UB and a bass guitar. Wish is also a really nice guy, and he has managed to find the balance between artist, populist, and capatalist.

I have 3 wishes. I bought a 4 string Sam design in September, with a body made of about 12 different woods.

Last month I bought a Peanut (4 string) design made out of Spaulted Maple. Somehow FedEx routed the package from NJ to Southern California, so it still hasn't made it to my NYC apartment, but I should have it Tuesday.

Finally, I have a Wish fretless 7-string (B-F) Peanut which I just got last week. It feels more like a conventional bass than the Sam in that it has a thin neck with a truss Rod. A very sweet bass, and I plan on posting a full review on it in time.

Everything everyone has said about the woodwork is pretty accurate. Wishes are a bit rough around the edges, and certain things may just drive you nuts about this. For example, he uses tack nails as dot markers on the neck, there are the occaisional gaps at spots between the fretboards and the necks, etc. I recently sent my Sam back as one of the joints between 2 different body woods separated! As bad as that is (there probably was not enough glue in the joint) Wish is making good by it (fixing it and covering the return shipping).

Having said all that, I cannot emphasise how good these basses sound. I am not a bass snob, but I do own some high end basses (a Fodera, a MM, etc.) and the Sam Wish is among my favorites. Really woody and organic sounding and fun to play. In fact I have had more compliments on the wish than on any other bass I have ever owned. It DOES perform. I think I should have stopped at 2 Wishes, but I went a little crazy because I really do see them as something so incredibly unique and functional for so little money, and who knows how long Wish will keep making them. They are to me, kind of like playable sculptures. As I mentioned in another wishbass thread, my attitude in buying the first one having never played one was "Hey, if this is a good bass, then great. And if not, I can hang it on my wall as art." Only time will tell if they last without truss rods, etc. but I am enjoying them for now.

To echo what others have said, you are buying something very different when you buy a wishbass. If you are looking for a conventional bass, there are plenty of solid $300 values that are better choices. But for a handmade, hardwood instrument, with lots of character and good looks, you can't beat a wish. If you wouldn't miss the $300 or so, I say give it a shot. You can always sell it on ebay, where folks buy them and then actually sell them again for a little bit more than they paid.

Good luck to you.

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool. i'd dig seeing pictures of that 7. :)

16. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I think that there is a 7 on Wishbass' site. It has that three-tiered p-bass like pup.

*edit*

here's a pic:

[​IMG]

17. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    That's what I'm planning to do with mine :bassist:

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i've seen that one, i was just curious about roger's bass.

19. wombolombo

wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    A guy at my church got/had one. I never got a review from him, I just remember he showed up at practice one night with it, and it didn't sound very good. Once I found out that it didn't cost as much as it looks like, it seemed to make sense.

I wonder if you'd be better off trying to find an inexpensive bass that feels good to you, and then spending the dough to upgrade the electronics so that it produces a 'better' sound.

20. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Here is a pic of my wish 7. It was on ebay a couple of weeks back. It is a striped Motley design (Wish's name for a body made of multiple woods). I am still trying to find my way around this thing, but it is surprising easy to play.