1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Who uses reverb live & what is it?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pnchad, Jul 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    I like a little reverb on the DB for a few things. Just bought a new amp for doubling but it has no onboard reverb. Anyone use a pedal? If so what?

Thanks

2. I've been using my Line6 M5.

I'm going to try a DIY reverb based on a Belton brick paired with a bit of delay.

3. Groove Doctor likes this.
  4. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    Cool thanks for suggestions. Best part of TB - advice.

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I've had several reverbs over the last few years and for adding just a hint of natural warm live sounding room ambience my favorite by far is the T-Rex Roommate.

pnchad likes this.
  6. Tommyc

Tommyc

Nov 11, 2015
    Midwest
    Mine has onboard reverb delay and reverb +delay and is one of the names always associated with double bass, Acoustic Image. Google Acoustic Image Clarus SL-R. Don't play stand up but use it for electric bass and electric jazz guitar.

7. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    Yup thanks - I considered an AI model or two but ended up with a Phil Jones BG-400 instead. No real reason other than recommendations and the fact I haven't experienced these mini spkrs. And, I got a great price so I could flip it if it's not right for me.

I actually prefer old school spring reverbs rather than digital but then, I'm a geezer.

8. Remyd

Remyd

Apr 2, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    I use a Zoom B1on for a pre (I know, I know, but if it's stupid and it works...) and have one patch set with EQ, comp, and just a teeny-tiny bit of reverb. Find that I use it almost never - the same patch without the verb and with more aggressive compression gets all the workout.

Can't tell you how much fun it is to play a jazz line and have a Bootsy Collins wokka-wokka come from the amp. I will never use this in a musical context, but it's awesome anyhow.

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Funny thing is going on with gear 'n me lately...the novelty of super light, super compact is starting to wear thin in favor of stuff that crosses the line from good to great. I used to make the law of diminishing returns argument saying no one would hear the subtle differences in a bar but that's turned out not to be true. Every time I'd drag out the REDDI instead of using the DI out of my amp or a hand built tube head instead of a class D head I'd get compliments where with the easy to carry stuff hardly anyone ever said anything one way or the other. Certainly I play better with a deeply satisfying sound than with just a decent utilitarian sound. Even though I'm carrying a few more pounds my rigs are still very manageable with the hand truck I was always using anyway.

So maybe hauling around a spring reverb is the way to go. If that's just not practical I would reiterate my recommendation of the Room Mate. Also while I haven't used the Strymon blueSky myself from what I've heard of other people's it does a very nice spring 'verb thang.

10. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've got a TC electronics Hall of Fame reverb pedal on my board for the instances I need it. Amazingly good pedal/effect for the price, and lots of very usable tones.

Restaurant jazz gigs-- it stays home.

Bigger "listening" kind of gig-- totally. IMO, a pinch of ambiance can really enhance an unaccompanied upright bass solo. It's nice to have a bit of "space" to play with and then go back to dry and punchy when the band comes in. I don't really use it as an obvious effect as much as just something that makes the sound "feel right."

Pat

MR PC and Groove Doctor like this.
  11. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    I used the HOF, the first and early version the same way you are, Pat. Mine had an issue with switching, and I had to send it back. PITA, and I lost confidence in the unit. (there were quite a few referbed units floating around at first) I thought it was an excellent sounding pedal. Just a pinch of ambience, that is a good way to describe using the 'verb. I started with the Microverb I way back..:)

Pat Harris likes this.
  12. blocka

blocka

Feb 24, 2014
    Sunshine Coast
    Ive had a HOF and I currently own a EQD Afterneath and a Mooer Sky Verb, the Mooer is actually my favourite, so easy to dial in on the fly and sounds great behind delay as well as on it's own.